Just had the "impossible" burger - Avoid!

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
My wife and I went to a local brewery for lunch. The only veggie item on the menu was the impossible burger.

The taste, texture and greasiness was just like a real burger. :yuck:

As I write this, I am experiencing serious heart burn, and I periodically burping up the taste.

Unless you really miss the taste of meat, I would advise against getting this.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
Interesting reaction! I actually really like them, although I don't miss the taste of meat. The Impossible's I've had haven't triggered any cravings or longings for anything other than another occasional Impossible/Beyond Burger.

Did they come with any kind of sauce or French fries? I'm wondering what triggered the heartburn…?

DH and I just made "Fish sandwiches" with the Garden Fishless fillets and Chao cheese with the FYH tarter sauce this past weekend and commented on how they absolutely had to be the best "fish" sandwiches we've ever had. Funny the different reactions to these substitutes. I'm all for them, but it seems a lot of people are not.

It might be the fat content that did you in, beancounter. I tried it once, and it was OK, but I really prefer the Beyond burger for taste and texture.

@Poppy, I so love the fishless filet with cheese and tartar sauce. So delicious. I'm all for the subs, too. It's not as if I didn't like the taste of animal products before I went veggie; I just didn't like having animals die to be on my plate.

It might be the fat content that did you in, beancounter. I tried it once, and it was OK, but I really prefer the Beyond burger for taste and texture.

@Poppy, I so love the fishless filet with cheese and tartar sauce. So delicious. I'm all for the subs, too. It's not as if I didn't like the taste of animal products before I went veggie; I just didn't like having animals die to be on my plate.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I've had the BB burgers a few times and really think that they are delicious.However, I did cook them at home and served them with lots of vegetables ; no bun or sauce. They are by far the best meat subs that I've ever tasted. :p They don't taste exactly like beef but do have a similar texture and flavour.

However, I find Gardein's fishless fillets taste awful. :rolleyes: I used to eat a lot of fish and seafood and no subs. taste like the real thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15
I've accidently had meat over the years. The last time was at Trader Joes. I always partake of the coffee samples and see what food they have to sample. The sign said it was a veggie blend, so I picked up a cup and saw what i thought was cauliflower. I bit into it and immediately tasted bile coming up and I spit in back into the cup. This is whats happened every time. It is a very distinctive taste, I've had it from the wrong fried rice as well as when I thought my son got the same veggie sub from Subway and it was chicken. I don't even associate what it was right away, esp that Subway sandwich. I thought about spoiled something, rancid, till he told me. The TJ's thing was also chicken.
I couldn't go near anything resembling meat when I first stopped eating it, well besides the veggie things I was used to eating, like Boca and Morningstar. After some time I started using things more and no association with meat.

I love Beyond Meat burgers and sausage- esp sausage. I have no interest in Impossible- p;ssed me off too much

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I've had them a few times and really think that they are delicious.They are by far the best meat subs that I've ever tasted. :p
However, I find Gardein's fishless fillets taste awful. :rolleyes: I used to eat a lot of fish and seafood and no subs. taste like the real thing.
I never liked fish, but love Gardeins fishless! I tried their crabless patties and thought they tasted just like how i remembered crab patties- yuck!

I never liked fish, but love Gardeins fishless! I tried their crabless patties and thought they tasted just like how i remembered crab patties- yuck!
I'm not a fan of the crabless patties, either. I make some using zucchini, onions, bread crumbs, egg replacer, vegan butter and lots of Old Bay seasoning. They are really tasty.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
Chao cheese is probably the worst i've had. When I first got it I thought it was ok, second time was ehhhhh, now it's just horrid. I have both garden herb-m which was horrid from the beginning, and original which is now blech..... :yuck:
I'm team Daiya and FYH all the way :up:

My wife and I went to a local brewery for lunch. The only veggie item on the menu was the impossible burger.

The taste, texture and greasiness was just like a real burger. :yuck:

As I write this, I am experiencing serious heart burn, and I periodically burping up the taste.

Unless you really miss the taste of meat, I would advise against getting this.

I haven't had the Impossible burger to my knowledge (unless that's what they served a few years ago at BK (hungry jacks?)), so I can't comment. However, it is possible you were served meat either intentionally or accidentally. That would be my suspicion if that's the only vegan item they offered as a restaurant.

Some time ago I went to an Asian outlet in a mall food court, and ordered a soup, which, upon asking I was assured contained no animal products whatsoever. I specifically asked about dairy and eggs. The soup wasn't all that good, and it tasted like it had egg in it. This might have been from a spice that mimics egg (as black salt does), or it might have had egg in it. In either case, I started to have a considerable mucous reaction. To me this doesn't make sense unless I was misled and there was in fact egg in it. So, I have never gone back nor will I ever. One less customer for them.

Haha - I love those too! (But I adored crab cakes)

Honestly, the Impossible Burger has always been unappealing to me. Do they really leave it pink? I've seen some pics where it was pink and found myself repulsed. I'd find that too disturbing.

I've had a lot of negative experiences with faux meats, but that's because I'm sensitive or intolerant to all the things. The Impossible Burger ingredients are simple compared to some of the mimics on the market, so I'm surprised that it caused you that much gastric discomfort, unless you actively avoid oil. I agree with others that you likely got served a burger contaminated by the kitchen.

I haven't had the Impossible burger to my knowledge (unless that's what they served a few years ago at BK (hungry jacks?)), so I can't comment. However, it is possible you were served meat either intentionally or accidentally. That would be my suspicion if that's the only vegan item they offered as a restaurant.

Some time ago I went to an Asian outlet in a mall food court, and ordered a soup, which, upon asking I was assured contained no animal products whatsoever. I specifically asked about dairy and eggs. The soup wasn't all that good, and it tasted like it had egg in it. This might have been from a spice that mimics egg (as black salt does), or it might have had egg in it. In either case, I started to have a considerable mucous reaction. To me this doesn't make sense unless I was misled and there was in fact egg in it. So, I have never gone back nor will I ever. One less customer for them.
Soups are the worst! For all the times, I've asked if a broth was vegetable, be assured it was... only to take a taste and know it was chicken broth. Unless, I'm at a vegan establishment, I don't gamble on soup anymore.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
Thanks All. Fat content usually doesn't bother me (as far as I'm aware).
All I can say for sure is that the taste just grossed me out.

It may be just psychological which would explain your symptoms of indigestion.;) Moreover, you really don't know how
they were fried or grilled. Most places reuse oil etc.

That may be the reason why you like them as they taste nothing like fish. I really like the crabless cakes and they do have a similar
taste to the real thing.

Hello Beancounter,

not knowing the Impossible Burger (it's not available in Europe) I am wondering whether you ever had the Beyond Burger as comparison?

That one is pretty popular in Europe, although right now my guess is that the majority of the market out there is made up from copycat ones (pea protein based burgers being produced by a number of companies, including meat companies) that are being sold by supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl at about half of the cheapest price the Beyond Burger typically goes for.

I had the impossible whopper to go then added my own vegan mayo and cheese and thought it was pretty amazing. Then I had the burger at a diner and it was inedible. I don’t know what kind of mayo/cheese they use. I use Follow Your Heart mayo and Daiya cheddar. But the burger itself was bad...as if it was frozen and they thawed it and didn’t bother to cook it. I was so disappointed.

I go back and forth with liking/not liking the fish fillets and crab cakes. Sometimes they come out rubbery but it could be that I’m overcooking them. I like the outside crispy and the inside fairly dry so it’s hard to get it just right.

I go back and forth with liking/not liking the fish fillets and crab cakes. Sometimes they come out rubbery but it could be that I’m overcooking them. I like the outside crispy and the inside fairly dry so it’s hard to get it just right.

If you're talking about the FF, they are rubbery indeed. The crabless cakes taste great. Even my cousin liked them and she's an omni.

I purchased an air-fryer a few months ago. It makes all the difference in the texture of the frozen fillets and "crab" cakes. And it makes amazing French Fries!

I never did understand why people complain that vegan meat taste too much like animal. I had the burger, it did not taste good. I prefer beyond

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas