Judge wants to throw sexual assault victim in jail for publicly naming her attackers

I think what they did was a lot more serious than just breast touching and taking photographs. Otherwise why would there be the need to keep it such a secret?

I have seen pictures of these boys online and they look mean, especially one of them has this real mean look and the other one looks aggressive too. Looking at their pics, I wouldnt want to be powerless and vulnerable near them, and I am not 17, I am a grown woman. They are adult sized too.

So you're citing to a comment posted by some unknown person who is supposedly quoting what some other unknown person posted online?

As I said before, the source sucks. Looks like it was from a yahoo answers post, but the original was taken down. Or it could be fraudulent.

I think what they did was a lot more serious than just breast touching and taking photographs. Otherwise why would there be the need to keep it such a secret?

Because the people involved are minors and Kentucky maintains the confidentiality of minors charged with crimes?

Here's what I found:

Kentucky shrouds its juvenile courts behind some of the strictest secrecy laws in the nation, requiring the public to accept on faith that it is being protected from dangerous children — and that innocent children are being protected from dangerous adults.

It is one of only 15 states that bar the public and press from all delinquency proceedings.

The cloak of confidentiality is designed to protect juvenile offenders from being stigmatized, and to ease their transition into the community.

- Source (which is quite critical of those laws.)

I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic when you mentioned being able to judge the guilt and severity of a crime based on how the defendant looked.

Because the people involved are minors and Kentucky maintains the confidentiality of minors charged with crimes?

But it wasn't the statute that barred her from saying anything (what you cited only bars the public and press from delinquency proceedings), it was the gag order imposed by the judge. Are you claiming that juvenile court judges in Kentucky routinely enter such orders?

I'm rather surprised that you quoted that article comment which merely quoted another comment which can't even be found online - if someone had done something similar about the perpetrators, I suspect you would have been screaming bloody murder.

But it wasn't the statute that barred her from saying anything (what you cited only bars the public and press from delinquency proceedings), it was the gag order imposed by the judge. Are you claiming that juvenile court judges in Kentucky routinely enter such orders?

Considering that juvenile court records are sealed, it would be impossible to determine if such an order is routine or not.

I'm rather surprised that you quoted that article comment which merely quoted another comment which can't even be found online - if someone had done something similar about the perpetrators, I suspect you would have been screaming bloody murder.

Why would I be screaming bloody murder? Presumably, if that comment is even correct, it is by someone who was outside of the court system and thus not constrained by the court order.

Until there's further evidence I'm going to assume it was a lot more serious than this too, because if that's what they did then I believe someone from the boys' family/side would be leaking that info all over the net, to try to salvage the boys' reputations that they aren't rapists but just pervs.

i'm in NO WAY condoning these boys actions (because what they did makes them complete and utter arseholes) but this whole thing seems very very one-sided from here.poor innocent girl, evil villainous boys preying on her.

It is one sided. It doesn't matter how much a victim drank, they did prey on her. She might have a problem with alcohol or whatever, but that doesn't make her less of a victim of these guys.

This reminds me of the Colorado shooting thread and people talking about the man who ran away from his girlfriend and kids during the shooting. He was criticized for that, for being a lousy partner and protector of his kids. But he was a pure victim of the shooter. His character doesn't matter at all in terms of the perpetration of the shooter. Same for this girl.

Until there's further evidence I'm going to assume it was a lot more serious than this too, because if that's what they did then I believe someone from the boys' family/side would be leaking that info all over the net, to try to salvage the boys' reputations that they aren't rapists but just pervs.

The boys have not been sentenced yet. Do you think it's a really good idea to leak information that the judge does not want leaked before sentencing?

This reminds me of the Colorado shooting thread and people talking about the man who ran away from his girlfriend and kids during the shooting. He was criticized for that, for being a lousy partner and protector of his kids. But he was a pure victim of the shooter. His character doesn't matter at all in terms of the perpetration of the shooter. Same for this girl.

He is both a victim and a complete jerk.

He's a victim of the shooter.
He's a complete jerk for abandoning his infant child to save his own skin.

Reactions: thefadedone
this goes two ways though. one of the easiest ways to avoid being assaulted when you're passed out drunk and underage, is to not drink to the point of intoxication. there's a novel idea.
No. Decent law abiding people do not take advantage of folk who are unfortunate enough to become intoxicated in public. I know that is a risk you take should you choose to imbibe, but the responsibility for this crime lies 100% on the shoulders of the perpetrators, who chose to assault an unconscious woman. No one's trying to paint her as an angel. But her rapists chose to do what they did of their own free will, and they can take the consequences.

I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic when you mentioned being able to judge the guilt and severity of a crime based on how the defendant looked.
That's not what she said, she said she wouldn't want to be powerless and vulnerable with them nearby. Judging men by their appearances is one of the ways some women stay safe. It's got nothing to do with whether they are guilty of crimes.

Reactions: Freesia
That's not what she said, she said she wouldn't want to be powerless and vulnerable with them nearby. Judging men by their appearances is one of the ways some women stay safe. It's got nothing to do with whether they are guilty of crimes.

Perhaps I misread the intention of her post. When she said that they looked "mean" and "aggressive" I thought she was referring to the severity of the crime they are submitting a plea to. But if it's own personal opinion, then that's her choice.

Although I know guys from various subgroups which would probably fall under the "aggressive"-appearance heading which are perfectly fine guys, and there are plenty of "nice" looking guys that have proven themselves to be complete monsters. For example, this well-dressed, handsome guy seemed not to have been considered a threat by those around him. He was an honor student in college and was considered "kind, solicitous, and empathetic" by his coworker at the suicide crisis hotline where he worked. He also killed over 30 people.

I don't think you can judge someone strictly from a photograph. I think it's a comforting myth that people tell themselves in order to feel that they can be more protected from being a victim.

Perhaps I misread the intention of her post. When she said that they looked "mean" and "aggressive" I thought she was referring to the severity of the crime they are submitting a plea to. But if it's own personal opinion, then that's her choice.

Although I know guys from various subgroups which would probably fall under the "aggressive"-appearance heading which are perfectly fine guys, and there are plenty of "nice" looking guys that have proven themselves to be complete monsters. For example, this well-dressed, handsome guy seemed not to have been considered a threat by those around him. He was an honor student in college and was considered "kind, solicitous, and empathetic" by his coworker at the suicide crisis hotline where he worked. He also killed over 30 people.

I don't think you can judge someone strictly from a photograph. I think it's a comforting myth that people tell themselves in order to feel that they can be more protected from being a victim.

I have been looking at photos of him on Google images, and to me he looks as creepy as heck. Honestly, it is not the way men are dressed or their hairstyles or grooming. The young men in the photos I was looking at earlier this evening were also well groomed and looked like they were from a so called "respectable" background. But there are some qualities that come out in photographs or in person no matter how much Old Spice and armani someone is wearing.

I have been looking at photos of him on Google images, and to me he looks as creepy as heck. Honestly, it is not the way men are dressed or their hairstyles or grooming. The young men in the photos I was looking at earlier this evening were also well groomed and looked like they were from a so called "respectable" background. But there are some qualities that come out in photographs or in person no matter how much Old Spice and armani someone is wearing.

not always the case. look at the Aurora shooter's college pics.

not always the case. look at the Aurora shooter's college pics.

I am suspecting more and more that we are going to find that the guy had a psychotic break some months ago. In his courtroom photos, he looks like a different peron than on earlier photos (and I'm not talking about the orange hair). I've seen that kind of look before, on the faces of individuals suffering from major schizophrenia. (I've done involuntary commitments and been around people where you had to be careful to stay out of reach, manacled or not.)

If it is something like schizophrenia, he is indeed a completely different person than he was at the time his college pictures were taken. That's such a scary, tragic, disease, which can have a sudden onset.

Reactions: das_nut
I am suspecting more and more that we are going to find that the guy had a psychotic break some months ago. In his courtroom photos, he looks like a different peron than on earlier photos (and I'm not talking about the orange hair). I've seen that kind of look before, on the faces of individuals suffering from major schizophrenia. (I've done involuntary commitments and been around people where you had to be careful to stay out of reach, manacled or not.)

If it is something like schizophrenia, he is indeed a completely different person than he was at the time his college pictures were taken. That's such a scary, tragic, disease, which can have a sudden onset.

that's less scary than if the things you mentioned have not occurred. there are some very intelligent and clever sociopaths out there. the ones that don't get caught.

It's the dead eyes.

that's less scary than if the things you mentioned have not occurred. there are some very intelligent and clever sociopaths out there. the ones that don't get caught.

Yes, I know.

When I said it was a "scary" disease, I wasn't thinking in terms of what someone with it might do - I was thinking about what it must be like, to suddenly go from sane to where you couldn't count on your mind to distinguish reality from whtever nightmares your mind was fabricating.

Yes, I know.

When I said it was a "scary" disease, I wasn't thinking in terms of what someone with it might do - I was thinking about what it must be like, to suddenly go from sane to where you couldn't count on your mind to distinguish reality from whtever nightmares your mind was fabricating.

yeah, weird stuff.and i'm sure it happens more than we're comfortable to admit.