US Jeb's first important speech

Only watched the first 6 minutes before my patience ran out. He didn't say anything that the (American) public will find too inedible, I think. (That doesn't mean it's still not batshit crazy, though.)

From what I heard, his foreign policy would be continuing in exactly the same track as his father and brother, and I'm sure we all remember some of the ingredients of that: Expensive wars in Afghanistan & Iraq, unwavering support for everything Israel does, and generally extensive meddling in the Middle East. I don't think all that has worked out so well for the US.

some people(an I can understand the feeling) like the idea of armies out there somewhere fighting some kind of enemy. Those people can imagine some personal boggyman is being waged war with; their own feelings of personal insecurity can feel somewhat reassured that the 'enemy' is being dealt with.

I read that theory by someone, and it makes sense to me. So maybe as long as enough people have boggymen in their psychology, there will be wars....as long as they can be afforded.

Only watched the first 6 minutes before my patience ran out. He didn't say anything that the (American) public will find too inedible, I think. (That doesn't mean it's still not batshit crazy, though.)

From what I heard, his foreign policy would be continuing in exactly the same track as his father and brother, and I'm sure we all remember some of the ingredients of that: Expensive wars in Afghanistan & Iraq, unwavering support for everything Israel does, and generally extensive meddling in the Middle East. I don't think all that has worked out so well for the US.
Wow you got all that by watching the first six minutes, amazing.

I guess he has Wolfowitz in his administration. You can almost give the Presidency to Hillary at this point.

I've now watched the whole thing.

Jeb's blind spots are similar to that found in all neocons:
  • He speaks of the evil Iran, but fails to mention the very similar evils of the US's ally, Saudi Arabia.
  • He speaks of the prospect of Iran getting nuclear weapons, which would result in other nations in the region wanting/needing such weapons, but he fails to mention Israel's nuclear weapons.
  • He says he's visited Israel no less than 5 times. He mentions Israel more than any other country (except for the US itself). He mentioned Canada twice, and he said "transatlantic", and "NATO", and briefly "Europe", but failed to mention a single European ally.
  • He speaks of the importance of oil and gas, but he doesn't mention irreversible climate change or other pollution and environmental degradation problems.
  • He says he's impressed with the technology and economic progress of Israel, but doesn't mention the annual billions of dollars in direct and indirect foreign aid from US tax payers. Neither does he mention the technology cooperation/transfers between the two countries.

I'm less than two minutes in.

Mr. Bush claims that U.S. imperialism has been a benefit to the world. That's a bunch of bovine excrement.

"A force for peace," he claims. A country that has been in a near-perpetual state of military conflict since its founding. A country founded on slavery and genocide.

He also thanked the troops, which is a lot like donating to charity: you feel good about yourself after, but you haven't really made a difference.

15 minutes in.

"Our words and our actions must match, so that the entire world knows that we say what we mean and we mean what we say", he says. When having a discussion about human right's violations, I trust he will include said violations committed by the United States.

I'm kidding; of course he won't.

Mr. Bush claims that U.S. imperialism has been a benefit to the world. That's a bunch of bovine excrement.

"A force for peace," he claims. A country that has been in a near-perpetual state of military conflict since its founding. A country founded on slavery and genocide.
This sort of thinking, that the US has been a force for peace, makes sense when you also think that peace can only be achieved by "projecting power". He says the problems of islamist terrorism and Russian threats are direct results of the US no longer doing so, but showing weakness and indecision.

I've now watched the whole thing.

Jeb's blind spots are similar to that found in all neocons:
  • He speaks of the evil Iran, but fails to mention the very similar evils of the US's ally, Saudi Arabia.
  • He speaks of the prospect of Iran getting nuclear weapons, which would result in other nations in the region wanting/needing such weapons, but he fails to mention Israel's nuclear weapons.
  • He says he's visited Israel no less than 5 times. He mentions Israel more than any other country (except for the US itself). He mentioned Canada twice, and he said "transatlantic", and "NATO", and briefly "Europe", but failed to mention a single European ally.
  • He speaks of the importance of oil and gas, but he doesn't mention irreversible climate change or other pollution and environmental degradation problems.
  • He says he's impressed with the technology and economic progress of Israel, but doesn't mention the annual billions of dollars in direct and indirect foreign aid from US tax payers. Neither does he mention the technology cooperation/transfers between the two countries.
That said, it would be interesting to see Hillary Clinton give a speech on the same topics. My guess is that her speech would not be very different, at least with regards to the above blind spots. Does that mean these are not specifically neocon blind spots, or does it mean Hillary Clinton is more neocon than some people like to admit? Hmmm.

That said, it would be interesting to see Hillary Clinton give a speech on the same topics. My guess is that her speech would not be very different, at least with regards to the above blind spots. Does that mean these are not specifically neocon blind spots, or does it mean Hillary Clinton is more neocon than some people like to admit? Hmmm.
Some politicians are more bloodthirsty than others, but they're all pretty big fans of U.S. foreign policy, which doesn't change much from president to president.

I think Hillary Clinton's speech would have slightly different language, but be more or less the same thing.

Last edited:
Some politicians are more bloodthirsty than others, but they're all pretty big fans of U.S. foreign policy, which doesn't change much from president to president.

I think Hillary Clinton's speech would have slightly different language, but be more or less the same thing.
I agree. And not only foreign policy, but environmental policy as well. Here's a piece on Clinton and the Keystone XL Pipeline:
Why a Clinton Presidency Could Mean the Keystone Pipeline Goes Ahead | Care2 Causes (February 24, 2015)

I agree. And not only foreign policy, but environmental policy as well. Here's a piece on Clinton and the Keystone XL Pipeline:
Why a Clinton Presidency Could Mean the Keystone Pipeline Goes Ahead | Care2 Causes (February 24, 2015)
"With three of the four phases of Keystone in operation or nearly complete, only one section remains. Phase four, now known as KXL, will add 400,000 barrels per day to the existing Keystone system, and up to 25% of that new capacity is reserved for U.S. crude.

There is no debate about the merits of shipping large volumes of crude oil by pipeline. Government statistics clearly show that pipelines are the safest mode of transportation for shipping large volumes of petroleum products. They present less of an environmental impact and are more efficient other transportation options all while costing the consumer the least in transportation costs.

There is no disagreement with respect to needing new pipelines to carry U.S. Bakken crude and no one really believes that adding 300,000 barrels per day on top of the 2.5 million we currently import from Canada will significantly exacerbate climate change."

Where is that quote from, LB?

I'm not familiar with the Keystone XL pipeline, but the point is that Hillary Clinton is likely to support it, just like Jeb Bush, whereas Obama has blocked it.

300,000 extra barrels is an increase of 12%. That is not insignificant. Also, this extra oil comes from tar sands. The extraction process is probably the worst aspect of it, but the spills from the pipeline, which are very likely based on the current Keystone pipeline, are much worse with tar sands oil than regular oil.

I understand the US need for becoming independent of oil & gas from the Middle East, but this seems like huge price to pay.