NSFW My first experience of an activism event :Warning/Pic may offend

KateMollart

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker of this sub and I love reading all of the posts on here so I thought it would be good to make an account and contribute to the community :)

I have always had a passion for environmentalism. I did my undergraduate degree in Environmental Studies and since becoming a mum I've felt a real sense of duty in ensuring we create a sustainable future and planet for the next generation and to intstill a love for nature. With the news highlighting COP26 this week (and learning more about the role of international governments in fighting climate change) I also think it is important to remember the role that we as individuals have to play as well. I live with my husband and kids in a fairly rural area in the UK. Our property backs onto a local woodland and grassland area which is full of biodiversity and such a great place for us to explore as a family and learn about the environment. Last year a developer submitted plans to development the area to provide a cosmetics testing facilities (which would include animal testing). The local community struggled to get our voices heard during the planning process.

A few neighbours established an Environmental Protection Group as a way to formally object to the development and the negative impact it would have on the environment and to highlight the abuse on animals. In the summer our group decided to hold a environmental protest event at the site (inspired by the work of ER) and held a 'Bare as you Dare' protest where we demanded that the developer exposes the bare truth about the harmful environmental impacts of the scheme. I went with my family to offer moral support to our neighbours and I ended up thinking that I'd better practice what I preach and decided to spontaneously join in!

My good friend and neighbour Colin was acting as our group's official photographer and captured this great shot of me flashing off my bare bum and taking part! We were showing that our community has nothing to hide - can the developer say the same? It was so nerve wracking but liberating to take part and our voices seem to have been heard as the development has now gone to an appeal. I may be the most embarrassing Mum in the world but hopefully I have in some small way inspired people to take part and stand up for what they believe in.

My husband is aiming to stand as a Green Party candidate here so the Green Party is something that all of our family are very behind, including the protection of animals. I am proud that we stood together as a community and took part - it was very challenging (especially as we are a small rural community and everyone knows everyone) to take part and show off an intimate part of my body but it was for such a great cause.

Kate 😊 xx

Thanks for sharing. We all must speak up against corporations taking over our world.
Here in Florida there is a massive building boom. Enormous amounts of forests are
being torn down to build more homes and shopping centers.
I am wondering, are you just curious about veganism or are a vegetarian or vegan lurker?
Do you link animal agriculture's impact on the environment to eating animal products?
cheers.

Good for you taking local action. Imagine if everyone were as informed and active, how much better the world could be.
It really is difficult in a small community, to communicate effectively and help others see a broader picture; too many only see extra tax revenue and so on, just can't seem to open their hearts to see the true price.

Last edited:
What is the term in the UK: "cheeky?" I think that's appropriate here. :laughing:

Good for you for standing up. If it takes showing your bum to change the world, then show your bum. As others have said, your courage probably outstrips mine. I think only 3 or 4 people on this planet have ever seen my bum. But would I show it to stop an obnoxious development project? Hm. One never knows what one might do when faced with a situation. But you definitely faced it!

• Agree
Reactions: bEt and KateMollart
It is pretty horrible to apply for planning permission on woodland where creatures live to build somewhere that uses them for animal testing.
It was pretty good of you to dare to bare for such a good cause.