Japanese spinach gomae

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
• 1 bag of ready-to-eat spinach (approx. ½ lb)
• Salt to taste

Sesame Dressing:

• 1/2 tsp of sake
• 1/2 tsp of quality mirin
• 3 tbsp roasted white sesame seeds
• 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp sugar

Special Equipment:

• Mortar and Pestle or food processor

Instructions:

1. Heat a skillet to low heat. Toast the sesame seeds by placing them into the skillet. When a few of the sesame seeds begin to pop, remove from the heat. (light golden color)
2. Grind the sesame seeds using a mortar and pestle (ideal method). If you don't have access to a motor and pestle, you can grind them in a food processor. (not so ideal, as you tend to lose the texture.
3. In a small bowl, combine the sesame seeds, soy sauce, sugar, sake and mirin. Mix well.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil add a pinch of salt.
5. Add spinach to boiling water and cook for one minute. Drain and soak with cold water until cooled.
6. Drain the spinach and make sure to remove as much water as possible (just grab it in your hands and squeeze it or use a clean towel). Collect the spinach and cut into pieces, separating the spinach as much as possible
7. Toss the spinach in the sesame dressing.
8. Serve and enjoy!

Reactions: Forest Nymph
You will not be disappointed. Spinach Gomae is simply delicious. I eat this dish all the time. I order it at sushi places all the time too. It works well with my avocado roll.

I gotta get my greens ;)

I love Gomae, but it's a little bit of work just for a spinach dish. So...I decided to try an easy way of making it, which reduced a significant amount of time and effort.

All you do is substitute the sesame seeds and mortar & pestle bit, and go with tahini instead. Following the recipe above, I just added a couple tablespoons of tahini. I was amazed at how good it was. I had some toasted sesame seeds that I sprinkled on top. Absolutely delicious!

If you have never tried Gomae, you really should give this recipe a try. It will make a spinach lover out of anyone.