Music Jack White says music industry is sexist

The only worthiness for a recording contract is the quantity of people likely to buy your stuff.

The quantity of people likely to buy your stuff substantially increases when your marketing team pimps the product to the masses sitting at the table - waiting for you to put something on their plate.

Newsflash: unsigned bands do not have marketing teams.

Name me one crap laundry detergent that doesn't say it washes whiter than the rest?

The detergent with the most commercials wins - whether it is truly better than the rest or not.

The masses are morons is all I'm really trying to say.

Agreed.

How do you think they decide which detergent/music/musicians to invest the commercials money in?

By whomever they can exploit to the fullest possible extent.

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
We call it riding the gravy train...

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
We call it riding the gravy train...

Ded, I can't actualy tell if you are arguing that the music industry is sexist, or not.

I'm arguing (whether I believe it to be so or not; a good ding-dong always needs someone to play devils advocate) that the degree to which it is sexist only reflects the degree of sexism inherent in it's target market.

For anyone who thinks that to be true (it is true) but still believes the music industry to be sexist whilst its market isn't sexist.

How in the name of all that makes love to spiders would suppressing female talent constitute exploiting, to the fullest intent, a market that wants more female talent?

Ded, I can't actualy tell if you are arguing that the music industry is sexist, or not.

I think the point of Jack White's comment is that a woman who plays an instrument will be considered by the music industry not foremost for her talent - but how the industry may be able to market/exploit her because they view a chick playing an instrument in a band as a novelty. Whereas a man who played guitar or whatever would be judged by how well he played that instrument.

I think the point of Jack White's comment is that a woman who plays an instrument will be considered by the music industry not foremost for her talent - but how the industry may be able to market/exploit her because they view a chick playing an instrument in a band as a novelty. Whereas a man who played guitar or whatever would be judged by how well he played that instrument.
This!!! ^^^^^

Example, Katie Perry was just announced to be the halftime talent for the Super bowl of American football. Nearly all the comments on the sports sites are discussing her breasts.

There's obviously a fortune to be made here from giving an entirely non-sexist mass market the female musicians they want.

I'm totaly at a loss as to why no one has ever thought of doing it.

Example, Katie Perry was just announced to be the halftime talent for the Super bowl of American football. Nearly all the comments on the sports sites are discussing her breasts.

Apart from her breasts can you suggest one single thing about Katie Perry that anyone would find interesting?

Ok, ok ...

Mr Not-always-as-clever-as-he-thinks-he-is got Katie Perry confused with Katie Price.

Katie Perry obviously has talents other than her jumper-lumps.

Apart from her one incredible talent for making money out of her jumper-lumps, Katie Price doesn't.

My sincere apologies to Ms Perry.

I think the point of Jack White's comment is that a woman who plays an instrument will be considered by the music industry not foremost for her talent - but how the industry may be able to market/exploit her because they view a chick playing an instrument in a band as a novelty.
Perhaps, but has Jack White ever considered how popular his music would be if he was an obese, balding man in his 40's? Jack White seems to be oblivious to the fact that his appearance, and appeal amount women, is likely more related to his success than his abilities as a musician.