Is it unethical to catch your own fish for food?

Consistency

Forum Practitioner
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to try to articulate what I believe is logical and ethical. Please hear me out and please don't jump to conclusions about what I mean.

My points are.

1) Since it is self evident that dolphins and other whales are intelligent beings like us and they need to eat fish to survive and evolve.

2) Since humans who eat specific type of small fish are the most attractive and tend to look like fishes. This indicates that the DNA from the fish is being absorbed and incorporated into their human genome and eventually passed unto their next generation.

3) It's unethical to buy fish from the supermarket because it comes from an unethical capitalistic source without regard of the damage that it is doing.

4) I believe it is ethical for someone to be independent of capitalism by catching their own small fish to survive, evolve and pass on attractive genes.

After reading my points. Is it unethical to catch your own fish for food when it is needed for evolution?

• Disagree
Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Well since seas are overfished and you aren't living on a tribal reservation I would say yes, you're causing unnecessary violence to fish and stealing food sources from bears and other fish eating non human animals.

As for the "intelligence" factor...primates don't eat fish so there goes that argument. Also humans easily absorb Omega 3s from flax and walnuts too. People who have issues with this or pregnant women or those with mental health issues can still eat algal DHA (basically eating what the fish eat, the algae itself).

Do I respect personal fishing or hunting over supermarket meat consumption? Of course. Do I acknowledge Alaskan tribes on the frozen tundra who have no other significant food source? Of course.

But if you live in Seattle or Savannah and are trying to justify sport fishing that's a joke. No. Just...no.

• Haha
Reactions: Consistency
@Eryman
why are you even responding to a banned member's 2-year-old post?
and maybe even a better question: how did you even find this thread?

The DN
I'm going to try to articulate what I believe is logical and ethical. Please hear me out and please don't jump to conclusions about what I mean.

My points are.

1) Since it is self evident that dolphins and other whales are intelligent beings like us and they need to eat fish to survive and evolve.

2) Since humans who eat specific type of small fish are the most attractive and tend to look like fishes. This indicates that the DNA from the fish is being absorbed and incorporated into their human genome and eventually passed unto their next generation.

3) It's unethical to buy fish from the supermarket because it comes from an unethical capitalistic source without regard of the damage that it is doing.

4) I believe it is ethical for someone to be independent of capitalism by catching their own small fish to survive, evolve and pass on attractive genes.

After reading my points. Is it unethical to catch your own fish for food when it is needed for evolution?
The DNA from the fish is being absorbed into the human genome?? Pretty sure that almost everything we eat is broken down into constituent amino acids, fats, and carbohydrates.

Some ingested parasitic organisms can survive stomach acid/enzymes, but I've never read that those parasites insert their DNA into our cells.

Viruses insert their RNA or DNA into our living cells. Per the University of Washington, about 8% of human DNA came from viruses - some of it was inserted by viruses millions of years ago : Genes from ‘fossil’ virus in human DNA found to be active

Humans, other animals, and plants do share common DNA for the processes that are common to (almost) all life - carbohydrate oxidation and protein synthesis, for example. Also, plant and animal cells have certain organelles in common: https://www.khanacademy.org/science...nimal-cells/a/hs-plant-vs-animal-cells-review

Anyway, the OP is now banned. I hope they're in the process of improving their education.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Luis Halson
The DN

The DNA from the fish is being absorbed into the human genome? Pretty sure everything we eat is broken down into constituent amino acids, fats, and carbohydrates, bro. Please review your high school biology.
Yep, also cells don't absorb DNA, they only copy existing DNA (apart from mutations which are random).