Is it normal to not have a 'transition' at all?

ap1989

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I read a lot on this forum before deciding to go vegan and to be honest a lot of the topics scared me with people talking about fatigue, side effects, craving etc.
I went vegan literally overnight about 4 months ago and I don't feel like my body has gone through a transition at all. I don't feel any different physically and i've not had a single side affect.
I've always eaten very well but chicken, fish, eggs and dairy were part of my diet every single day.
I just find it surprising my experience seems to be so different to everyone else on her, I wondered if there others whos experience was like mine?

I think the only time people post about their transitions it is because of their issues. If they had no issues - then there is nothing to complain or ask about. I think not having any side effects is more of the rule than the exception. Personally, I never had any side effect but my transition took place over a period of 10 years.

It's also very rare for someone to go vegan overnight. Even if you decide in just one day - a person would still want to finish the non-vegan things in the cupboard, frig, freezer.

If your diet has already consisted of a lot of whole foods and typical vegan fare, you've already been eating pretty high in fiber, etc. then I could see an overnight transition not being very shocking.

I think the people who experience discomfort, etc., when they swap to being vegan probably didn't have healthy diets in the first place. They're suddenly introducing lots of fresh produce and high-fiber foods when before maybe they subsisted on hamburgers and chips and the like.

When I first when lacto-ovo vegetarian many years ago, it wasn't a huge shock to my body then, either. Mostly in part because I was already eating pretty healthy to begin with - I ate lots of vegetables, fruits, and legumes as it was. Rarely ate red meat - pretty much lived off of chicken when I did eat meat. And when I transitioned to vegan it was the same deal because again I already had a pretty healthy diet to begin with. If anything eliminating the eggs and dairy have left me feeling much better and far more energetic.

Reactions: Lou
Hello and Welcome!

I guess you are very lucky not to have side affects to a switch in diet. I was very sad to give up fish and eggs. Not so bothered by dairy though. Although I found vegan cheese had an acquired taste that I just didn't have at first.

Also I think that some people's body react sooner rather then later to a lack of B12. I don't know why this is but some people can go a long time without any ill affects to no B12 and some people can't.