UK Is it moral to do good deeds without my parents’ permission?

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Is it moral to do good deeds without my parents’ permission and against their will without telling them?

Hello 👋,
I’m a 24-year old (soon to be 25 - my birthday is 17th September 🥳!) female, and I’m Autistic.
I am an extremely kind and compassionate person. I am a Buddhist and have dedicated my life to compassion and kindness to other sentient beings, and to self-care. I donate to charity a lot. I can donate what some would call “too much” to charity. I once donated eleven pounds to charity in a single day! I often donate to food banks. I’m often wanting to do online donations. My mum sets limits for me and can get cross at me for donating too much. She wants to protect my money. She does care! I don’t want to offend or upset her... She just wants me to not donate “too much”. I’m also not allowed to approach the homeless at the moment due to COVID-19. I used to buy them food and drinks and donate money to them.
I would like to do lots more good without her permission and, perhaps, without letting her know, but I would feel very bad and concerned about it. Would it be moral to go against my mum and my gran (who also doesn’t like me donating “too much”) and donate and buy stuff and do kind deeds without letting them know, without their permission? Would I be doing the right thing?
Please help.
May you, all whom you know (both human and nonhuman) and all the animals in the meat, fish, dairy, egg, honey, fur, leather, suede and silk industries, as well as the civet cats, the dogs and cats abused, neglected and killed, the animals who are hunted, trapped, poisoned and shot, the animals who are poached, the animals who are skinned alive, the animals who lose their habitats and get burned, the humans and nonhumans who are persecuted and prejudiced against and all beings everywhere be perfectly well, healthy, happy and safe forever ♾️.
Thank you 😊.
Just always remember you are loved and capable of loving 🥰.
Best Wishes to all,
Rory.
Have the best day and night ever!

For now, I think it might be best to stick with your mom's restrictions. Perhaps you can negotiate with her and have her allow more or larger donations in the near future. After all things are tough all over.

I would say it all depends on where your income comes from. If you earn a salary and pay your bills; it's definatly your choice on how you spend it. However, if your parents are giving you an allowance perhaps they do have a certain say on how it's spent. Perhaps they think that you are giving a too large of an amount to others?
They may be concerned that you are not managing your money in a reasobable manner i.e. saving enough for a rainy day etc.

It's certainly very noble to want to help people/animals in need and there are many ways you can do so, without donating money. Have you ever considered doing charity work for shops or animal shelters ?

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Shyvas actually has a good point. If it is their money then of course they do have a say, you can't exactly use your parent's money for bills or shopping or savings to donate, that isn't good for anyone (including you).