Is it Advisable to Have this Animal as a Pet?

Igwe2022

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have been searching for a beautiful animal to adopt as a Pet.I am so much in love with Animals but I need one to have as a close friend.
Recently a good friend of mine advised me to go for this animal but I want my friends here on this forum to give me their advice as a family.Take a look of the animal HERE and leave your own advice and I will appreciate it

Reactions: FlandersOD
I see the animal you have in mind is a hamster. There are 2 or 3 different hamster species commonly kept as pets (maybe more): Syrian, Russian Dwarf, and Chinese Dwarf (I think those are the 2 dwarf species, anyway).

I adopted a Syrian hamster from the local animal shelter back in 1996. They're generally best kept singly; they are very likely to fight, except maybe when a mother is raising her offspring, or when a male and a female get together to mate (and mating is quite dangerous sometimes, too, if the two of them don't get along). I don't know how you keep two Syrian hamsters from trying to kill each other, since I only had one. Since you're looking for an animal companion, here's some things you should know:

1) Hamsters don't live very long; 3 years is old age for a hamster.

2) They're not that sociable with humans (at least, mine wasn't). Maybe I should have tried harder to interact with him, but the one time I carefully picked him up in my hand, he was shivering- I think trembling with fear- so I carefully out him back down again. Then again, one night I had my bedroom door closed and I had let him out in the room for a few minutes while I was laying in bed. I heard a quiet noise, and then the patter of hamster feet on my bed- he'd climbed up from the floor! After a few more minutes, I put him back in his cage (for his own protection) and went to sleep. Sometimes when I was home, I'd let him out in the bedroom (with the door closed) so he could have a bit of exploring/adventure. But rodents can be destructive with their gnawing; he tore a few small bits of cloth from a bedsheet and started making a nest / vacation home under the dresser. The sheets were still usable, so I didn't throw them out. But they sometimes try to chew electrical cords- with fatal results for them, and bad news for you if they start a fire.

3) Hamsters are nocturnal. If you wake him up during the day to interact with him, he might be annoyed enough to bite you.

But they are cute, and easy to care for compared to most other animals. Millions of people keep millions of hamsters. The two of you might be a good match!

I see the animal you have in mind is a hamster. There are 2 or 3 different hamster species commonly kept as pets (maybe more): Syrian, Russian Dwarf, and Chinese Dwarf (I think those are the 2 dwarf species, anyway).

I adopted a Syrian hamster from the local animal shelter back in 1996. They're generally best kept singly; they are very likely to fight, except maybe when a mother is raising her offspring, or when a male and a female get together to mate (and mating is quite dangerous sometimes, too, if the two of them don't get along). I don't know how you keep two Syrian hamsters from trying to kill each other, since I only had one. Since you're looking for an animal companion, here's some things you should know:

1) Hamsters don't live very long; 3 years is old age for a hamster.

2) They're not that sociable with humans (at least, mine wasn't). Maybe I should have tried harder to interact with him, but the one time I carefully picked him up in my hand, he was shivering- I think trembling with fear- so I carefully out him back down again. Then again, one night I had my bedroom door closed and I had let him out in the room for a few minutes while I was laying in bed. I heard a quiet noise, and then the patter of hamster feet on my bed- he'd climbed up from the floor! After a few more minutes, I put him back in his cage (for his own protection) and went to sleep. Sometimes when I was home, I'd let him out in the bedroom (with the door closed) so he could have a bit of exploring/adventure. But rodents can be destructive with their gnawing; he tore a few small bits of cloth from a bedsheet and started making a nest / vacation home under the dresser. The sheets were still usable, so I didn't throw them out. But they sometimes try to chew electrical cords- with fatal results for them, and bad news for you if they start a fire.

3) Hamsters are nocturnal. If you wake him up during the day to interact with him, he might be annoyed enough to bite you.

But they are cute, and easy to care for compared to most other animals. Millions of people keep millions of hamsters. The two of you might be a good match!
Thanks my lovely friend, your advice is well appreciated

I personally think hamsters are a boring pet, there too small to cuddle or do anything with but it's all down to personal preference i suppose. If thats what you want then go for it.

They don’t last long enough…but I think they are adorable. I especially like the long haired ones. We had several when my kids were growing up.

@KLS52, comment about them not lasting long enough reminded me of line in novel I read recently. I thought it was a nice turn of phrase.

"as poorly thought-out pets for children, no doubt to introduce them early to weeping tragedy."

Bujold, Lois McMaster. Knot of Shadows (Penric & Desdemona) (p. 61). Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Reactions: KLS52