Is being vegan an all or nothing thing?

Todays domesticated animals are not natural and were created through selective breeding based on mutations or defects which is why they have so many health problems.

I don't think you can call an animal extinct when they never would have occurred naturally in nature to begin with. If red wolves ceased to exist, I would call them extinct. If poodles were no longer being bred, I might say the breed is no longer around or no longer being created, but I would have a hard time saying they were extinct.

At no time in the past were poodles (or pretty much any dog breeds ) roaming the plains as wild dogs who were domesticated to become pets. They only exist due us playing God with them.

Last edited:
Todays domesticated animals are not natural and were created through selective breeding based on mutations or defects which is why they have so many health problems.

I don't think you can call an animal extinct when they never would have occurred naturally in nature to begin with. If red wolves ceased to exist, I would call them extinct. If poodles were no longer being bred, I might say the breed is no longer around or no longer being created, but I would have a hard time saying they were extinct.

At no time in the past were poodles (or pretty much any dog breeds ) roaming the plains as wild dogs who were domesticated to become pets. They only exist due us playing God with them.

Yes, true. But I was thinking in the lines of their original canine and feline ancestors... I personally don't believe in the no longer created of domesticated animals, but there are some who do.

Reactions: Calliegirl
Yes, true. But I was thinking in the lines of their original canine and feline ancestors... I personally don't believe in the no longer created of domesticated animals, but there are some who do.
I don't want to see all the wild canines and felines extinct, but seems headed that way with all the hunting and livestock protection. :(

The only thing I don't like about this thread is that now I have that tune from Oklahoma running through my head.
Let me return the favor and inflict it all on you. :)

Reactions: ledboots
Haha, that was fun. Thanks for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really sorry if I hurt or offended you, FortyTwo, or diminished the horrendous experiences that people have suffered. Again, so not my intention, as I think you are awesome. And maybe it was an extreme comparison, but I sometimes feel that as humans we place ourselves above other animals who may suffer greatly without our being aware of it because we simply don't have the knowledge of how/if those animals feel the depth of emotion/suffering that humans feel. I think part of the problem with the continuation of inflicting harm on animals for food production is that humans feel superior to animals and thus feel entitled to do with them as they please. The food chain argument from non-veg*ns I hear on pretty much a daily basis is just one example of this pervasive sentiment.

Oh, no, no, you're fine! You haven't hurt me at all. My apologies if I came across as defensive or touchy. When I respond to something I tend to end up writing an essay's worth about it, and I suppose I can be kind of intense. And thank you, that is a very nice thing to say.

Anyway, know that I really do mainly agree with you - there is a reason I'm vegan, after all. I believe that in any given situation, if there's an option that involves not exploiting an animal, that option should absolutely be taken, because I don't want to exploit animals. For me personally it's an issue that is independent of the effect on the animal - we should know better. I like to think I know better, and I observe that in my lifestyle, so I consider myself vegan.

My mind always ends up taking that to its farthest extremes, though. What does "vegan" mean? The accepted definition is not using animal products or exploiting animals as far as is practical and possible. But then, like, if someone is imprisoned in a dungeon and they have nothing to eat for a week and a rat dies by their foot, does eating that rat make them not vegan? Theoretically, that person could be eating a rat a week and still be considered vegan while they're doing it, because it's not practical nor possible to survive without using those animals... and that just brings us back to all the fundamental dilemmas. What about someone who is strictly vegan, such as myself, who eats things that have palm oil in them? Palm oil harvesting has a LOT of ethical problems, but it's generally accepted as vegan, even though animals may have suffered to obtain it. What makes that any more or less "vegan" than anything else? What is practical or possible in that situation? Should some foods that are technically vegan be avoided because they've caused exploitation of animals? What about exploitation of people? Depending on who you ask, that's either just as bad as or worse than exploitation of animals. Should a proper vegan then avoid anything that's not fair trade? What about clothes? And, naturally, pets?

If you try to base things around a definition of "vegan" you just sort of spiral down into this rabbit hole of ethical dilemmas until you're just eating shriveled tomatoes out of a window box and gently picking ants out of a warm Brita pitcher and weeping to yourself. That's why I prefer to keep the definition of veganism out of this sort of thing and focus on the ethics in the first place, which then just brings me back to the whole spectrum of animal suffering vs. animal exploitation.

I'm rambling again, aren't I? Anyway it's just a really complicated issue and trying to reduce it to "vegan" vs. "not vegan" seems super reductive to me.

During this practice, we're supposed to accept what's offered, eat all that we take, and be humble. I believe breakfast is usually oatmeal and fruit, but I'm not completely sure if it's 100% vegan.

Poppy, that's a very interesting test subject!

What about telling your fellow breakfast eaters that you try to eat only vegan food and respectfully ask them not to offer you animal-based food? (Of course, it would make sense to bring some vegan stuff yourself).

If people who practice peaceful zen meditation with you would not want to support you in that, then what really can be expected from omnivores in general....

I often am told this as an example why buddhists supposedly can not be vegan, and my own impression is that if I was a buddhist asking for alms I would ask people respectfully to provide vegan food and hope they would not behave like assholes... ;-)

Best regards,
Andy

Some animal rights people feel all domesticated animals should become extinct which is why they REALLY promote spaying and neutering all domesticated animals for extinction.

My guess is that possibly 1 % of animal rights people would "REALLY" promote spaying and neutering because they want the EXTINCTION of all animals. The other 99 % likely do it because they want to save them the misery.

What about telling your fellow breakfast eaters that you try to eat only vegan food and respectfully ask them not to offer you animal-based food? (Of course, it would make sense to bring some vegan stuff yourself).

If people who practice peaceful zen meditation with you would not want to support you in that, then what really can be expected from omnivores in general....

I often am told this as an example why buddhists supposedly can not be vegan, and my own impression is that if I was a buddhist asking for alms I would ask people respectfully to provide vegan food and hope they would not behave like assholes... ;-)

Best regards,
Andy

As I understand it (I haven't been!) the breakfast service is silent and prepared by one person (at home and brought in) as an offering to Buddha and to the Sangha (the group). You are allowed to indicate how much you want, and it is traditional to eat all that you are served. However, we're certainly not so rigid that if someone was allergic to something or didn't feel well, they'd have to eat it! I'm sure I can find a way to participate if I decide to - but the question of breakfast is something that has been holding me back, and I'm not sure why. I just need to ask. :)

I really appreciate the thoughts and interpretations expressed throughout this thread: What relationship do we each have to the word "vegan", what boundaries do we observe, how do we take definitions and make them work in our already complicated lives? And also, what can be tweaked and perhaps changed?

I personally think the more we make being "vegan" (or a close facsimile ;)) look not just possible, but pleasurable and sustainable, the more animals we'll help.

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots

Best regards,
Andy
Traditionally, many of the people supplying alms to the monks were extremely poor, and gave what they had. That is why turning away the food would be hurtful.

This was written for the monks, the accepting of alms.

The Buddhist temple I go to has only vegan food.

Reactions: Andy_T and KLS52
My guess is that possibly 1 % of animal rights people would "REALLY" promote spaying and neutering because they want the EXTINCTION of all animals. The other 99 % likely do it because they want to save them the misery.

The idea behind it isn't some malicious "extinct all the animals" sort of deal. It's more along the lines of, we created these animals, they cannot survive in the wild, so we should keep them in comfort for the rest of their lives, not allow any more to be created, and let the trend of pet ownership die out with them. This is a point of view that assumes pet ownership is ultimately not ethical, which I'm not sure I entirely agree with, although I do think phasing it out would be for the best.