Is anyone else being directly impacted by this shutdown? Vent about it here!

sequoia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
We are a military family, and during the shutdown we might not be getting paid. We tried to take out a loan, but they aren't giving them out right now. Hopefully the shutdown will be over before our next paycheck, which is supposed to come in while we're on our honeymoon.

Anyway, this is the thread to rant and get things off your chest about the shutdown!

You should be getting paid, or is the bill only for active duty?

". ET 9/30/2013Washington (CNN) — Despite bitter partisanship that threatened a government shutdown, Congress actually managed to come together to pass one bill on Monday –unanimously, at that.

The Senate signed off on a House-approved measure to ensure members of the military would continue to get paid if congressional wrangling over spending and Obamacare resulted in a shutdown.President Barack Obama signed the bill late Monday night." http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...litary-will-be-paid-if-government-shuts-down/

I would not be happy if anyone posting in this thread resorted to demonizing President Obama. As far as I'm concerned, the Republicans in Congress caused this shutdown because they're determined to defund and derail Obamacare by any means necessary. Obama has always been willing to compromise with the Republicans, but the Republicans refuse to meet him halfway on anything.

Reactions: thefadedone
I thought it was more of a thread about people being personally impacted by the government shutdown, such as being furloughed or not able to visit a National Park, etc. My disabled husband and my mom receive Medicare for their health care, and that will continue to be funded, so it hasn't personally affected them.

I have a nephew on active duty in the US Marine Corps, and he states he was told they'll get paid on time. His older marine brother is no longer active duty, but receives a disability pension for his injuries, and I'm not sure if that pension is still in effect or not. He and his wife work, so they're not in financial danger if it is delayed but I'm sure it would be a huge hassle.

Much of what I do at my job involves a Federal Government website, even though I'm not a federal government employee. And that website is down for the forseeable future- at least another week, I guess. Kinda cramps my style. I hate bugging my supervisor for things to do. I've had some accumulated leave time to take off, and I've been using it, which is nice...

...and I just know that as soon as the site is up and running again, I'll go from not having enough to do, to not having time to use the lavatory. Wheeee! Fun!

My friend is buying a house and her loan is being held up because of the shutdown.

Oh yes. My boy's da bitches about it non stop now. What an I supposed to do? Like it's my fault!

My son's security clearance will almost certainly be delayed being the Defense Security Services was shut down so no one will be available to process the paperwork. It's going to cost him $5,000 per month from lost work... money he will never ever get. God knows how long the back log being created will take to clear up. I want to strangle someone about now, fantastic way for a recent college grad to get started.

I've sure all the Republicans can dine out on lobby money whilst this is going on....oh the joys of sin.

Reactions: Amy SF
Of Course it Hurts! You're Getting Screwed by an Elephant Sticker Price: $2.00
S-OfCourseItHurts.gif

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/product4851.html

:p

Reactions: Amy SF
I would not be happy if anyone posting in this thread resorted to demonizing President Obama. As far as I'm concerned, the Republicans in Congress caused this shutdown because they're determined to defund and derail Obamacare by any means necessary. Obama has always been willing to compromise with the Republicans, but the Republicans refuse to meet him halfway on anything.

Is demonizing Republicans okay?

I could not hike below the rim at the Grand Canyon. I know it's not even close to not getting paid and what-not, but I was bummed nonetheless. I was at least grateful to have gotten into the park the day before shutdown took effect, though, because the rangers didn't boot anyone out until 48 hours later. So I at least got to hike the rim trail and get some spectacular views. I felt really bad for people who had traveled from all over the world who got shut out of the park. There was a story on the Arizona news about these kids who had spent a year raising money for a charity and planned to hike below the rim for the charity, and they couldn't go . They couldn't even get the great views of the canyon because the park was closed. It just gripes me because once again, John Q suffers at the expense of the idiots in Congress. I bet they are still getting paid.

Military tuition assistance interrupted for the second time this year as a result of budget disagreements.

Not too worried about pay since I'm no longer active duty. My civilian work in Canada is unaffected... but training has been put on hold for my unit back in the states despite the fact that we're coming up on a deployment cycle. I won't be any more specific, OPSEC and all, but I will say it's somewhat frustrating.

My sister-in-law was supposed to come visit us while we're over here in the US, but because she works for the DC government, she can't take out any holiday now while this thing is ongoing, otherwise she won't be paid during that time, apparently.

We know a few people who get food stamps and as of today they have been shut down.I feel sorry for these people as they have kids and apparently were not stocked up so now they have no way to get things except with cash and these people don't make much money anyways.

ETA:I just learned it was probably a computer glitch but the government shutdown could effect people in November if it's not over with.Here's some info if anybody is interested.

http://www.fox19.com/story/23675538...nt-shutdown-likely-cause-of-ebt-card-failures

Last edited: