Iron deficiency

amberfunk

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've devloped iron deficiency anemia. I've started taking an iron supplement. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Are you taking Iron Bisglycinate?

White nails would be an indication of anemia. Red nails is an indication of hemoglobin(healthy).

Vitamin D is required to absorb Iron, magnesium, calcium and other minerals. 2500iu of Vitashine daily works for me. And Vitamin A is required to make red blood cells. Carrot juice is an option which also contains iron.

https://news.usc.edu/5508/Switch-in...Treatment-a-Gene-Called-Epo-May-Hold-the-Key/

I'm not a female. I only know what keeps my spinal cord feeling like a steel rod.

Reactions: Lou
From the supply side of things:

Grains: https://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-020119000000000000000-1w.html?

vs Beef (scroll down to #13 as spleen, lungs,liver aren't things meat eaters eat every day)

https://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-013119000000000000000-w.html

Nearly 5 times as much compared to beef normally sold and consumed. Vegans who eat grains regularly have gut bacteria that break down phytates (mineral binder) easily, but in case you don't, soaking them overnight releases most of the phytates (and cooking removes some of them as well).

Other high sources include seaweed (21mg-28/100gm depending on type), sesame butter (unhulled), pumpkin seed. moderate: flax seed, sunflower seed, almond - most all of them contain more than an average cut of beef, gram for gram.

Nutritiondata.self.com is a decent site, so just an FYI in case you weren't aware of it. All the best in overcoming this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
I just started taking the iron supplement a few days ago. I just bought a bottle from walmart since it's what I could afford. No gelatin in it or anything like that so it was good enough for me. I get a ton of vitamin a since I usually eat a lot of fresh veggies but I probably don't get enough vitamin d due to lack of sunlight and a lot of foods I eat do not have a lot of it. I usually eat tofu scramble in the mornings with avocado sometimes, mushrooms and either mixed greens, kale or spinach. I also have coffee in the mornings which I've read can block the absorption of iron. So I'll add orange juice or vitamin c pill to help. Guess I haven't been doing enough. I'll add back in overnight oats for breakfast a few times a week to see if that helps. I have to go grocery shopping soon anyway. Thanks for the tips.

First, I really want to post two videos by Dr. Greger. They are not relevant to your situation, but they provide interesting information about iron.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-iron-pills-good-for-you/
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-safety-of-heme-vs-non-heme-iron/
The body is able to regulate its absorption of non-heme iron (found in vegetables) based on how much it needs, but it doesn't have such a mechanism in place for heme iron (found in animals), so those who eat meat can get too much iron. Since you're deficient, you're probably safe taking iron pills, especially since they almost certainly contain non-heme iron.

You might also want to look into getting a cast iron pan if you don't have one already.

Here is an excerpt from "Becoming Vegan: Express Edition" (p. 133-134). Much of it is a repetition of what you and Nekodaiden have written, but it might nonetheless be helpful:

"The body absorbs more iron when needed and less when not needed, but calcium and compounds such as phytate compounds, tannins, and polyphenols (in tea, coffee, and cocoa) decrease the amount of iron the body can absorb. If you're iron deficient or need to maximize your iron intake, avoid consuming these at the same time as your iron sources.

"On the other hand, foods rich in vitamin C, such as red peppers and strawberries, or foods high in citric acid, such as citrus fruits, increase the absorption of iron. These acidic foods change the iron in plant foods into a soluble form that is readily absorbed. For example, 5 fluid ounces (150 ml) of orange juice, containing 75 mg of vitamin C, has been shown to increase the absorption of iron from foods eaten at the same time by a factor of four. Vegans typically eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and get over 150 percent more vitamin C than nonvegetarians. This is a definite advantage when it comes to iron absorption.

"As previously mentioned, soaking, fermenting, leavening with yeast, and sprouting break down the phytate compounds in grains, beans, peas, and lentils, releasing iron and other minerals and making them easier to absorb. Compounds in onions and garlic also help increase the availability of iron (and zinc) from grains and legumes, so consider adding them to bean and grain dishes."

Reactions: Lou and TopoGigio
You should be able to get all the iron you need from plants.

Do you not eat dark leafy greens like, spinach or kale, and what about quinoa, legumes, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, most grains, and even dried fruits have iron?

Do you take a B12 supplement too? I'm just surprised that people fall iron deficient, aside from the obvious reasons of females being a bit more susceptible to it. I would take an iron supplement in your situation too, but honestly, I try really hard to include all the nutrients I need through eating whole foods instead.

Iron anemia is or can be serious, and has serious side effects. I hope the supplement helps you feel better soon, Amber.

I get a ton of vitamin a since I usually eat a lot of fresh veggies but I probably don't get enough vitamin d due to lack of sunlight and a lot of foods I eat do not have a lot of it.

The best way to get vitamin D is by taking a 2000 IU vegan D3 supplement every single day. Sun exposure can lead to skin cancer and make you look like this American truck driver, who had the left side of his face exposed to the sun through the driver's side window:

gogoweb-web.jpg

Taking a D3 supplement will also help very much with your iron issues:

Anemia Central said:
Case in point is our discussion here. Interestingly, the relationship between Vitamin D and Iron possibly runs both ways, as the research suggests that each are cofactors for each other. If you don’t have enough vitamin D, you can’t absorb iron properly; if you don’t have enough iron, you can’t have adequate vitamin D levels.

-snip-

In a nutshell, when hepcidin goes up, iron absorption goes down and vice versa. How does Vitamin D fit into this? Vitamin D is one of the few nutrients that can reduce hepcidin levels and allow more iron to be absorbed. We discuss this phenomenon more on the Why Doctors are Leaving African Americans Anemic. Vitamin D is truly an important indirect controller of iron metabolism by being able to reduce hepcidin levels fairly dramatically, up to 35% with a single dose, which allows iron to be absorbed more readily.

Another way that vitamin D indirectly regulates iron metabolism is that vitamin D reduces the inflammatory response in the body. And inflammation can dramatically reduce iron absorption. In fact, it’s such a well-known phenomenon that doctors even have classified a type of anemia called Anemia of Chronic Disease that recognizes inflammation as one of the Causes of Iron Deficiency Anemia.

So, any substance that can reduce the inflammatory response can help to improve iron absorption, and vitamin D fits this bill, making 2 ways that vitamin D helps to improve iron absorption and prevent anemia. Pretty cool huh?

https://anemiacentral.com/vitamin-d-and-iron/

Also, try using blackstrap molasses. That has a lot of iron naturally, as well as a bunch of other nutrients, such as calcium and potassium.

I am sure I am late to the game here, but I have recently been suffering from SEVERE anemia. I had 20 nose bleeds last Wednesday and ended up having to go get my nose cauterized because it was so bad and would not stop. I have had really bad migraines and was on Prednisone and Maxalt. Now I noticed my nails and skin are pale and the inside of my eyelids are pale as well. I am super shaky before and after eating and I am so hungry and thirsty, but I have dropped a lot of weight recently... Even with eating and drinking more! I also have developed multiple mouth ulcers?? Everyone keeps saying it's just an iron deficiency but I have been vegan for almost a year(and vegetarian for over a year now) and have never experienced this until now? What is anyone's thoughts on this? I actually have to go get blood tests soon, but for now I am just curious. Of course the second people see I have anemia they think it's because I am vegan.

Last edited:
I am sure I am late to the game here, but I have recently been suffering from SEVERE anemia. I had 20 nose bleeds last Wednesday and ended up having to go get my nose cauterized because it was so bad and would not stop. I have had really bad migraines and was on Prednisone and Maxalt. Now I noticed my nails and skin are pale and the inside of my eyelids are pale as well. I am super shaky before and after eating and I am so hungry and thirsty, but I have dropped a lot of weight recently... Even with eating and drinking more! I also have developed multiple mouth ulcers?? Everyone keeps saying it's just an iron deficiency but I have been vegan for almost a year(and vegetarian for over a year now) and have never experienced this until now? What is anyone's thoughts on this? I actually have to go get blood tests soon, but for now I am just curious. Of course the second people see I have anemia they think it's because I am vegan.

A few things to take into account.

I see a deficiency of Vitamin A, D & K.

Vitamin D is required to produce serotonin in the brain.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24558199/

I've taken this one for many years now: https://www.vegetology.com/vitashine-2500iu-tablets

Vitamin K is required for blood coagulation. A deficiency of vitamin K causes nose bleeds. Any Organic green vegetable is rich in vitamin K. Organic lettuce especially.

Please note that the man made synthetic medication you take tries to mimic what Vitamin D does naturally but with harmful side effects. Synthetic medication often lowers blood cells by killing them... This is often true for antipsychotics and antidepressants. Taking Vitamin D can balance off the negative effects if you're not able to go off medication.

Vitamin A is required so neurochemicals like serotonin are recycled and not destroyed. Lettuce and carrot juice are rich in vitamin A and K.

Please note that eating low fat can prevent fat soluble vitamins from being absorbed.

Last edited:
Hi Amber, I have dealt with iron deficiency and could give you some info on that. Feel free to message me

I havent after being a vegan for several years and a vegetarian before that - I'm not saying that to show off I'm just recommending that I eat a lot of beans, tofu and peanut butter. I'm not obsessive but I naturally eat a lot of vegan iron sources daily. Even when poor I eat beans and pb.

Also I eat a lot of C sources. I love tomatoes, peppers and onions. I also put lime juice on so many things. It helps you to absorb iron better.

My other recommendation is to take a multi. I like Rainbow Light brand.

The best way to get vitamin D is by taking a 2000 IU vegan D3 supplement every single day. Sun exposure can lead to skin cancer and make you look like this American truck driver, who had the left side of his face exposed to the sun through the driver's side window:

gogoweb-web.jpg

Taking a D3 supplement will also help very much with your iron issues:

https://anemiacentral.com/vitamin-d-and-iron/

Also, try using blackstrap molasses. That has a lot of iron naturally, as well as a bunch of other nutrients, such as calcium and potassium.

That photo is so ridiculous. I'm in my 30s and love to swim and lived in LA and I look young for my age. I have worn sunscreen or sunblock on my face since my teens. You only need about twenty minutes of sun on your arms, legs, back or chest. That truck driver likely never wore sunscreen. Also a sane person would notice two sides of their face was aging differently so Im guessing that took serious ignorance.

Last edited:

When you lose blood you lose iron. This is true for anyone, vegan or not. The drugs you are taking may very likely also play a part.

People can get iron (and other mineral deficiencies, as well as vitamin deficiencies) even using whole food - depending on how it's cooked. A common practice is to boil them from raw, then dump the water. All the B Vitamins and C are water soluble and all of the minerals are also. Guess where a great deal of them end up? In the cooking water that's discarded.

Best to soak grains overnight then steam them if they are to be cooked to insure minimal nutrient loss.

The problem is likely b12. I had nose bleeds and gum bleeds and the dentist was like eh I don't understand why your gums are bleeding. Anyway they both stopped after I started b12 supplements

It's gotten better however when I'm having my period it's horrible. I get heart palpitations, am exhausted, light headed and dizzy. I'm trying to find a way to make it better other than taking iron. The iron pills hurt my stomach so I only take them around my period.

I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia several years ago. Two things that really helped me build up my iron levels were: 1. I bought a juicer and juiced a beet, combined with a vitamin c source (usually a grapefruit or orange) every day. And 2.) I cook almost exclusively with cast iron, and I use a Lucky Iron Fish. This is a piece of cast iron in the shape of a fish- (there’s a great story behind this- you can find it on their website) that you boil in liquid for 10 minutes with an acid, and then consume the liquid. I usually just boil it in water with lemon and drink it throughout the day, but you could also boil it in a soup base- like tomato soup or something like that and then eat the soup.
When I was really low in iron I also would put blackstrap molasses in my tea, but I haven’t done that for ages now.

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
Lots of beet root, either raw or cooked is perhaps the best solution since it's full of both iron and vitamin C.
Reduce starch, processed garbage like tofu and fake meats and eat more raw. Eat fruit before meals, not after. Dried fruit is also rich in vitamins and minerals, combine with nuts if still hungry. Give up coffee and alcohol.

Spirulina is also very rich in minerals.

It is good that you are taking supplements for iron. Also eat lots of iron reached foods, like banana, orange juice, strawberry, broccoli, canned tomatoes, baked potatoes, spinach, kidney beans, vitamin C. Also avoid tea and coffee.