"Imperfect" Produce & Food Waste

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Reaction score
I just copied & pasted my post from the chat thread. I figured this deserved its very own. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm fascinated with ugly veggies. :D Recently reread a Nat Geo article from March... a THIRD of the world's produce goes to waste simply because it doesn't look "normal"....
Well, f*ck normal! Normal is boring! Let your freak flag fly!! :weird:

Jer said that the Walmart here has a freak-fruit/veggie section.... there's still a petition for country-wide cooperation.

Please sign: Walmart: What the Fork Are You Doing With Your Produce, Walmart?

And visit: Ugly Fruit & Veg

I'm gonna see if I can't maybe get the ball rolling for Kroger to do something, too.... (I hate Walmart. LOL)

09032015_SO15VegCurves__0.png

I dunno 'bout you, but I think these guys look gorgeous.... and delicious!! :drool: LMAO

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Wal-Mart, America's Largest Grocer, Is Now Selling Ugly Fruit And Vegetables
Hey, it's a definite start. But it's only apples. Howzabout some veggies, folks?? o_O :broccoli::tomato:
I'll keep my **ahem** eyes peeled :rolleyes: for "Spuglies" potatoes, too! :D

One organization that might fit into the topic of this thread is the Society of St. Andrew. Society of St. Andrew

The Society of St. Andrew (hereinafter SoSA, for short) is heavily into gleaning, and this involves collecting much "imperfect" and/or "unmarketable" fruits and vegetables.

See, for example, the "Potato and Produce Project" (PPP). Potato & Produce Project

We salvage tractor-trailer loads of potatoes and other produce that are rejected by commercial markets or potato chip factories due to slight imperfections in size, shape, sugar content, or surface blemishes.

Usually, these rejected loads end up at local landfills. Through the Potato and Produce Project, the Society of St. Andrew is able to redirect these 43,000-pound loads of fresh, nutritious produce to food banks, soup kitchens, food pantries, low income housing areas, local churches, and other hunger agencies for distribution to the poor.

Reactions: Amy SF
One organization that might fit into the topic of this thread is the Society of St. Andrew. Society of St. Andrew

The Society of St. Andrew (hereinafter SoSA, for short) is heavily into gleaning, and this involves collecting much "imperfect" and/or "unmarketable" fruits and vegetables.

See, for example, the "Potato and Produce Project" (PPP). Potato & Produce Project
Keep a look-out for "Spuglies." Ugly taters, basically. I don't see them here, but they sound deeeelish to me!! SPUGLIES! :D

Please don't do that. :fp: (suddenly experiences a horrid twitching spasm as she recalls many years of Catholic school)

I went to Catholic school for two years. Then we moved and I went to public school. But that meant we had to go to Catholic school on Saturday mornings for Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD). So, school five days a week, then CCD on Saturdays, then church on Sunday. I think I know where you're coming from, sistah! :)

I went to Catholic school for two years. Then we moved and I went to public school. But that meant we had to go to Catholic school on Saturday mornings for Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD). So, school five days a week, then CCD on Saturdays, then church on Sunday. I think I know where you're coming from, sistah! :)
I went for eight years....plus catechism/confirmation in high school. I'll be as nice as I can... but I'm serious, please keep the friggin' bible quotes out of my sh*t. Cool?? Beautiful. Thanks muchly.

Last edited:
I have no problem with ugly vegetables or fruits. I remember wanting to buy organic apples from my friend, and she was concerned that they were too blemished to sell. I said as long as there aren't worms coming out of them, I'll take a chemical-free apple any day of the week. I was making apple sauce, so I needed a bunch. :)

I like the idea of selling ugly veg and fruit. However, there are no shops in my region that offer these uglies for sale.:(

How did Aldi earn an F while Walmart gets a B? Aldi will put produce on deep discount prices far sooner than any other store by me! My biggest complaint (and everyone else that I know) is that their peaches, nectarines, and plums are in sealed bags and very hard to tell if they're good or not.
I'm not really familiar with Walmart superstores because I dislike so much about the whole store in general. When I've gone they've been sold out of half the fresh produce
And Aldi doesn't use as much plastic. No bags unless you buy them, or paper bags, most bring their own or take the boxes.