"Imperfect" Produce & Food Waste

App that cuts food waste in the supply chain gets $2M in funding
Walmart and Whole Foods have started regional programs promoting “ugly produce” and encouraging consumers to buy less-than-perfect fruits and vegetables, often at a reduced price. Kroger announced an ambitious plan to eliminate food waste by 2025, and Tesco, a leading U.K. grocery store, works with produce growers to harvest more efficiently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashfood Pilots 'Ugly Produce' Delivery in Detroit

Flashfood | The conscious way of food shopping

Last edited:
My father used to run a distribution centre for fruit and veg and they would always remove the 'ugly' fruit from the boxes and replace them with others that were 'properly' shaped/coloured/etc because supermarkets were sending the whole boxes back even if there were just a couple of odd fruit in the box, claiming it was faulty. In my opinion this is quite sad.

My father used to run a distribution centre for fruit and veg and they would always remove the 'ugly' fruit from the boxes and replace them with others that were 'properly' shaped/coloured/etc because supermarkets were sending the whole boxes back even if there were just a couple of odd fruit in the box, claiming it was faulty. In my opinion this is quite sad.
Yeah, that is sad. :sadnod: I mean, the adage kids are taught from a very young age: "Don't judge a book by its cover." Where's that in regard to food?? o_O Sure, that veggie or piece of fruit might look a little wonky, but I'll bet it's just as tasty as the "perfect"-looking produce... maybe even tastier! :)

Last edited:
Had to share this pic I found.... Butterfly-tomato! :D

DkqQv0cUcAAkMff.jpg