If I had a million dollars....

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I would definitely donate some of that money into legitimate animal rescue. Probably even my own "small animal" rescue, since I live in a rural area, and if I bought a house with a square of land here, I could save cats, dogs, pigs, and chickens (but unlikely cows unless I took on the responsibility which I don't want to do, though I would save farmed pigs).

Honestly I want to start a restaurant that offers people what they once knew in vegan form. We have a vegan restaurant here, but it's very ethnic and healthy. We also have a vegetarian restaurant here, which covers an enormous number of bases, I found during an undergraduate map-making project.

But I would start a place like Doomies in LA.

A part of the blatant stupidity of why people don't go vegan is fear of losing culture and history. Ironically, as idiotic as I find this, I've always liked white Georgian/Victorian/Edwardian/1920s/American pop culture.

I would be totally down to start a burger shop that also offered things like chocolate covered ice cream pops (my fave with my aunt Kate), Victorian cream teas with cakes, pot roast dinner made with seitan, and basically my goal would be to duplicate pretty much anything that was popular between 1890 and 1950, but make it vegan.

In one of these CUTE Victorian houses, and I would live on a floor by myself upstairs (or with a suitable partner).

How about you?

If I had a million dollars, I would probably invest the money in index funds and save it for a rainy day.

I basically have everything I want and more. My needs are extremely simple.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
If I had a million dollars I'd put half of it away and collect the interest (roughly about $1200/mo.), invest the rest (probably real estate), and keep working. A million dollars is not enough to sustain oneself if they expect to live another 2 or 3 decades from now.

If I had a million surplus dollars, no debt, and all my final expenses were covered, including any health care, rent, and food till the day I expected die (I'm pretty danged healthy and people do live over 100), well, I'd be donating to animal sanctuaries and environmental causes. Which ones would require some research.

Currently, I have roughly $150K+ debt I'd have to pay off. What would be left over would not be nearly enough to last someone 30 years, all expenses paid. (Assuming I stayed where I am - Rent where I live right now is astronomical.)

Didn't we have this convo before?

If I had a million dollars I would pay off my mortgage so that I could afford to stay in my home and not have to sell it when I retire in December. I would give my son money to put down on a place to live and help my disabled sister.

Last edited:
If I had a million dollars, I would watch Alice, Facts of Life and other weird stuff from the 50s-80s that remind me of my grandpa. Like Archie Bunker.

Id buy a Victorian house, still, and make it some weird vegan attraction.

We have a ghost tour here. I'm thinking about creating the animal ghost tour. We will start there.

Reactions: KLS52 and TofuRobot
I forgot to mention paying off the mortgage and student loans (I think). And if I had a million dollars, I think I'd go back to school to complete my degree. I have a gajilllion units in a couple of different majors, but had to drop out for financial reasons and it's always bugged me that I never finished it.

I would buy a small house by the sea, help some family and friends and invest the rest of the money. I would also donate larger amounts to a few animal welfare organisations and sanctuaries. I would also adopt a pet; a dog. 💝

Depending on where you live and how long you will live for, a million isn't that much if you want to invest the bulk amount in property. :(

It can also fly out of the window quickly if you plan to buy flashy cars, expensive holidays and spend recklessly. Some lottery winners have spent their fortunes and are currently in debt. :confused:

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
"If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a fur coat, but not a real fur coat, that's cruel" to quote those Bare Naked Ladies :)

Maybe I'd buy all the fanciest Dijon Ketchups. Mmmmmm

No, seriously, I'd simply officially retire. With that money I could pay off the last of my existing debt and travel with the rest. Sorry, if that's selfish, but a million dollars really isn't as much money as it once was.

"If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a fur coat, but not a real fur coat, that's cruel" to quote those Bare Naked Ladies :)

No, seriously, I'd simply officially retire. With that money I could pay off the last of my existing debt and travel with the rest. Sorry, if that's selfish, but a million dollars really isn't as much money as it once was.

True. I have calculated the monthly interest rate that it would yield and it's 1880 Euros.

No need to apologize. It’s true $1M doesn’t go as far as it once did. Not to mention you don’t take away $1M...about a third goes to taxes.

That said, their huge powerball lotteries far surpass anything we have here in Canada. So lets just say I'd rather have even 55% of a 758 million dollar lotto, as apposed to the 50 to 60 million max here. Don't get me wrong, I can't even wrap my head around a 50 million win, let alone something like 400 million take home.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Do you mean if it's a lottery win ? :)
Oh, yes...I guess i figured how else would I have that much money. But good point...the question is simply “if I had a million”. I guess that means I’d have the whole mill, haha.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
Oh, yes...I guess i figured how else would I have that much money. But good point...the question is simply “if I had a million”. I guess that means I’d have the whole mill, haha.

Yes, nobody has mentioned winning the lottery. 🤣

That said, their huge powerball lotteries far surpass anything we have here in Canada. So lets just say I'd rather have even 55% of a 758 million dollar lotto, as apposed to the 50 to 60 million max here. Don't get me wrong, I can't even wrap my head around a 50 million win, let alone something like 400 million take home.

Same here, it's far too much for my brain.:D I just tell myself that 50 million would be the equivalent of 50 large houses in my area. :(