I need the best vegan chili recipe for a cook-off.

I have about several different chilli recipes I use... :) One has butternut squash, ginger and lemon juice, one has cocoa and cumin seeds, one has balsamic vinegar and smoked paprika and is done in the oven with the vegetables roasted first (my mums), one is more vegetable-based, one more bean based, one more mince based.

I don't know, there are so many different ways to make chilli, I like them all, but they don't all work together in the same pot (and besides, why have one dish when you can have five?). They all have onion, garlic, chilli and cumin, often corriander, sometimes paprika, sometimes cinnamon (I can't remember which are all which now...). They all have beans, bell pepper, tin of tomatoes, tomato puree. Sometimes mushrooms. Sometimes sweetcorn.

Anyway, if I had to pick, I think I'd go for onion, garlic, chilli, cumin, smoked paprika and cocoa, maybe cinnamon for spices. Faux mince, kidney beans, bell peppers. I think that kind of recipe is more like what people expect from chilli, but tasty too. But I love butternut squash/ginger/lemon juice/vegetables too, but I don't think it's what people associate with chilli so much so maybe not so good for a competition.

Thanks to this great thread, my chili sold out early--there were two vegetarian chilis at the event plus my vegan one. It was a charity thing where people buy bowls of chili, and also there is judging. I won the "Healthy chili" award and, interestingly, "Best for kids".

I ate too much and drank 3 beers so am paying for it today. I wrote down the chili ingredients, so I will type them in later, and post the (terrible) photos I took. I am so bad with digital cameras!

My pinto beans were the perfect texture, and lots of people talked nicely about veg*nism. Some joked about wanting meat, or getting their moneys' worth, but for the most part people were interested in meatless chilis and complimented my chili. One nice vegan had three bowls--he wasn't expecting to find anything to eat at the cook off so wanted to be encouraging. :)

Yuck you should have smelled some of the meat chilis. Blech.

Thanks to this great thread, my chili sold out early--there were two vegetarian chilis at the event plus my vegan one. It was a charity thing where people buy bowls of chili, and also there is judging. I won the "Healthy chili" award and, interestingly, "Best for kids".

I ate too much and drank 3 beers so am paying for it today. I wrote down the chili ingredients, so I will type them in later, and post the (terrible) photos I took. I am so bad with digital cameras!

My pinto beans were the perfect texture, and lots of people talked nicely about veg*nism. Some joked about wanting meat, or getting their moneys' worth, but for the most part people were interested in meatless chilis and complimented my chili. One nice vegan had three bowls--he wasn't expecting to find anything to eat at the cook off so wanted to be encouraging. :)

Well done! And that's so cool that the nice vegan ate three bowls!

Reactions: ledboots

:up: How wonderful!

Let me get this straight: There were all sorts of meat chilis at this thing, and people still joked about wanting meat? :shrug:

Reactions: Tom L.
:up: How wonderful!

Let me get this straight: There were all sorts of meat chilis at this thing, and people still joked about wanting meat? :shrug:
Yes! They wandered from table to table deciding which chili to buy, so some at mine would be "Oh meatless no".

You could tell who the cooks were; they all wanted to know what to put in a meatless chili besides beans. :)

It was a positive experience for the most part, and we raised some $$ for charity. :)

Congratulations on your two awards! I'm pretty sure the nice vegan customer you had wasn't just being nice- if he had 3 bowls of your chili, it must have hit the spot!

I used to think I still liked the taste of meat even though I no longer eat it, but once, I was buying canned chili and mistakenly bought one can with beef. I was eating it and it tasted a bit off- nothing that would make me sick, but just a bit wrong. When I was finished eating it and washing out the can to go into the recycling, I happened to read the label and realized my mistake. Gag me.

:starshower: Congrats for winning the healthiest (or best) chilli award. I can't watit to see the recipe and pix. :master:

Reactions: ledboots
;)Led- is there any chance of you putting up your excellent pinto bean healthy chilli recipe ?
Oh yes I will, thanks for reminding! I have to type it, so I will do so later on the laptop rather than on my phone. I have a couple of pictures that came out dark, but I have been meaning to ask one of my kids to edit them lighter for me.. :)

:D
Oh yes I will, thanks for reminding! I have to type it, so I will do so later on the laptop rather than on my phone. I have a couple of pictures that came out dark, but I have been meaning to ask one of my kids to edit them lighter for me.. :)

Great ! If you count on the kids, we'll wait forever !

Last edited: