I need the best vegan chili recipe for a cook-off.

ledboots

Peace
Reaction score
OK guys and gals, there is a big chili contest/charity fundraiser thing coming up at work, versus omnis of course, and I want to enter a vegan chili. I already know I want it searingly spicy. There are a lot of people that like to eat healthy there, so I think a vegan chili might go over well with that crowd.

Any great recipes? :)

I can't make decent chili. :sadface:

This is my ex's recipe. It is pretty good and of course can be modified however you want! Chili is fun to experiment with! I love chili! Good luck!

http://www.veggieboards.com/t/75425/vegan-chili

Just realized you might not be able to view it without logging in to VB. :/
Thank you, that looks good. :) (That's okay about vb, I still have an active account there.)

I plan to make a fiery chili with a lot of flavors. It is a friendly competition for charity, so I don't think I will get rude remarks about it being vegan.

My regular chili is good enough for omnis watching football to request it every time, with my cornbread. :cool:

I pretty much just "wing it" with chili and don't bother with a recipe. I like to put various veggies in mine like green beans, carrots, and corn! And cornbread is the perfect side for chili! :D

^This! I always throw in a ton of veggies to make it really chunky and hearty. I use all the veggies you mentioned along with broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms and sweet potatoes. Always sweet potatoes.

Reactions: ledboots
Butternut squash and a dash of cinnamon both add warmth and sweetness, while being more complex than a straight-up sweetener. Never do a chili without them, in addition to the basics: onions, diced carrots and celery, garlic, canned tomatoes, fresh chopped tomato, tomato paste, hot peppers, beans (usually black, kidney, Canadian baked beans), red peppers, chili powder, oregano & thyme.

Butternut squash and a dash of cinnamon both add warmth and sweetness, while being more complex than a straight-up sweetener. Never do a chili without them, in addition to the basics: onions, diced carrots and celery, garlic, canned tomatoes, fresh chopped tomato, tomato paste, hot peppers, beans (usually black, kidney, Canadian baked beans), red peppers, chili powder, oregano & thyme.

:up:

I've tried thyme. For me it throws the balance of the flavors off.

LB, IMO, if you choose to use a sweetener, do not use syrup. It just doesn't "mess" well with the other flavors.

Thyme's probably only habit tbh; there's a very strong undercurrent of French influence on all my flavours/methods.
I love thyme; the scent reminds me of childhood. I love your butternut squash idea and will definitely include it. I've used

Chili is always a "wing it" dish for me; whatever veg is nice I put in there and maybe adjust spices accordingly. I like pinto beans best, but usually have a few other kinds in there as well. I love a bean- filled chili with chunky roasted veg and good tomatoes.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. There are some great cooks on vv! :)

This is my ex's recipe. It is pretty good and of course can be modified however you want! Chili is fun to experiment with! I love chili! Good luck!

http://www.veggieboards.com/t/75425/vegan-chili

Just realized you might not be able to view it without logging in to VB. :/
I am not logged in there but still have the account however, I can view it for some reason.

I've heard that cocoa goes really nice in chili. I've never tried it myself, but it may be the "pop" you're looking for.
I've never tried using cocoa either, but I think I might try it out next time I make chili.

I've never used or heard of using oregano before either. It's an interesting addition, but not one I would want to try since I hate oregano.

I've never used or heard of using oregano before either. It's an interesting addition, but not one I would want to try since I hate oregano.

Oh my gosh , me too. I think I had too much of it growing up. My mom always used a ton of it. Blech.

I'm going to try and make some chili tomorrow and add some cocoa.

Oh my gosh , me too. I think I had too much of it growing up. My mom always used a ton of it. Blech.

I'm going to try and make some chili tomorrow and add some cocoa.
:yes: I make a crappy Italian. I hate oregano, basil , and pasta.

Reactions: KLS52