"I lied to my dad."

you're right. i expect they got a cookie and sang along to 'happy days' on the radio. :p

There is also no way to know if that happened. I think we can judge the picture without having information about what happened in the car ride over. And we're going to have to do that, if we want to judge the picture, since we have no idea what happened on the car ride over.

you're right. i expect they got a cookie and sang along to 'happy days' on the radio. :p

There is also no way to know if that happened. I think we can judge the picture without having information about what happened in the car ride over. And we're going to have to do that, if we want to judge the picture, since we have no idea what happened on the car ride over.

Well I was able to zoom in closely to get a good detailed look at the pic. My findings suggest that they did NOT get a cookie. The evidence of the sugary powder residue around the edges of their mouths suggest that instead of opting for the fresh, warm, straight out of the oven chocolate chip cookies, they went for the stale messy powdered jelly filled donuts. :fp: Idiots. They both need to be holding up signs to publicly shame them. Cookies > Donuts. Always people!:bang:

I'd be surprised if that guy was doing anything as intentionally abusive as calling his kid a little ****. I'm guessing he grew up in a shitty environment himself and being strict to the point of being an ******* is his attempt at making sure they don't end up junkies or whatever.

Just speculating. It's something about that 'I'm trying to imitate a brick wall' stance.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
and 'judge' stood out so well in this retort.

Huh?! He's branding her as a liar publicly. Why the hell would you think he would stop at that?

He's actually branding her as a teenager who lied to a parent. I'm pretty sure most people are not going to be shocked that a teen may lie to their father or mother.

So in regards to her reputation, it's pretty mild.

As I said, we don't know what she (allegedly) lied about. Perhaps it's something that's serious. Perhaps its mild. Without knowing the circumstances, and without knowing what previous punishments were tried in the past, I don't have enough information to make a decision.

He's actually branding her as a teenager who lied to a parent. I'm pretty sure most people are not going to be shocked that a teen may lie to their father or mother.

So in regards to her reputation, it's pretty mild.

As I said, we don't know what she (allegedly) lied about. Perhaps it's something that's serious. Perhaps its mild. Without knowing the circumstances, and without knowing what previous punishments were tried in the past, I don't have enough information to make a decision.

You're kind of making my point for me. Kids lie to their parents. It's nothing new, nothing shocking.

If he's going to stand guard over her in a parking lot while she holds that sign, what do you think the punishment is for the underlying sin she lied about?

You're kind of making my point for me. Kids lie to their parents. It's nothing new, nothing shocking.

If he's going to stand guard over her in a parking lot while she holds that sign, what do you think the punishment is for the underlying sin she lied about?

Some people think the worst thing their kid can do is lie to them and that is the offense that is most punishable. There's no reason to assume she's being punished for anything but lying, that's all we know about the situation.

We don't even know she was lying about a 'sin'. She could have gone somewhere and told her father that she went somewhere else and it wasn't that she wasn't allowed to go to the place she really went, he just wanted to know where she was for her safety. It could have been anything.

Some people think the worst thing their kid can do is lie to them and that is the offense that is most punishable. There's no reason to assume she's being punished for anything but lying, that's all we know about the situation.

We don't even know she was lying about a 'sin'. She could have gone somewhere and told her father that she went somewhere else and it wasn't that she wasn't allowed to go to the place she really went, he just wanted to know where she was for her safety. It could have been anything.

I used "sin" broadly, not meaning breaking one of the ten commandments.

Unless she's a pathological liar, she lied for a reason - to hide something, to avoid a negative consequence, to look better, etc.

If she's a pathological liar, lying for no reason at all, the parent should be addressing that mental health issue. If it was a lie about nothing at all, then I question his mental health, doling out this kind of punishment, because if there's one thing for certain, it's that this man lies also.

I don't know. Maybe she lied about not eating her vegetables, and the father doesn't want to appear to be a complete monster by putting that on the sign. Maybe she lied about not shooting up meth, and the father doesn't want to ruin her reputation by putting that on the sign.

The truth probably lies somewhere between the two extremes, but without knowing what it was, its hard to judge the situation. Maybe he's overreacting. Maybe it's bad parenting. Who knows.

I don't know. Maybe she lied about not eating her vegetables, and the father doesn't want to appear to be a complete monster by putting that on the sign. Maybe she lied about not shooting up meth, and the father doesn't want to ruin her reputation by putting that on the sign.

The truth probably lies somewhere between the two extremes, but without knowing what it was, its hard to judge the situation. Maybe he's overreacting. Maybe it's bad parenting. Who knows.
It is bad parenting. I don't care if that girl lied about everything for a year. Humiliating his child in what I fear is her school or church parking lot is not going to teach her anything helpful. Except maybe to silently rage. There are many ways to deal with lying children of that age that aren't cruel and ineffective.

Another creepy thought. How do we know she even lied at all?

Another creepy thought. How do we know she's even his daughter?

(We could have creepy thoughts all day.)

Another creepy thought. How do we know she even lied at all?

I'm trying to think of a situation where one would gain from using this 'punishment' falsely, but none of them really seem plausible so far...