I have TVP what should I do with it

Freesia

not my business.
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I have bought some TVP. Never used it before tho. They are kind of bigger crumbles. Any suggestions?

Combine 1 parts tvp with 2 parts veggie broth. Add a little ketchup, parika, ginger, and garlic. Maybe some agave. Mix, mix, mix and let sit so the liquid gets all soaked up. Use that for pizza pocket stuffing along with onions, mushrooms, and peppers. MMMMMmmmmmmm Damn I want some now.

Reactions: Freesia
Those ideas sound nice, thanks. : ) I especially like the stuffed pepper idea, or the pizza pocket or chilli. I have thought about chili, i have some chilli recipes which have TVP.

I sometimes buy a pie I suspect has it in and I think the chickpea burger I get has a little.

That is a good idea. I think I might have some loaf recipes around that require it.

what kind do you buy? the plain kind or the dark kind? what makes the dark kind dark--it says savoury on the packet but i would worry it used soy sauce (which contains wheat) to darken it. Am I better just buying the plain kind and making it savoury myself?

Also are there any brands you know of that are fortified? Like with B12 or something. just curious.

Are all the brands the same--or is one better tasting than another? Holland and Barrett vs the kind sold at the asian shop?

Lastly (sorry for so many questions) do you buy the crumbles or the chunks? the chunks look to me like dog food.

Ok, last question, i swear. How much TVP for 2 people in a meal?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I use Bob's Red Mill TVP. It just contains soy flour; no soy sauce or extras so it's light coloured. It's the only one I've ever tried. It doesn't taste like much; got to add flavour in the marinade. I usually use veggie or mushroom broth of some kind and add a little sweetness with sugar or agave. Or ketchup.

I buy the crumbles.

Each serving is 1/4 cup for me, so 1/2 cup for two people (before rehydration). But you might use more or less according to your appetite.