Jerusalem artichokes

peakvegan

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have an impressive crop of Jerusalem artichokes but never having eaten them before need some ideas on how to use them. I've already made some soup (delicious) and a kind of potato/artichoke dauphinoise type thing (also lovely). Any other recipes or tips?

Artichoke and spinach dip using cashew cream.
This uses artichoke hearts I think which are an entirely different vegetable (but thanks for the suggestion - I will try it when I (hopefully) get some globe artichokes from my veggie patch!)

This uses artichoke hearts I think which are an entirely different vegetable (but thanks for the suggestion - I will try it when I (hopefully) get some globe artichokes from my veggie patch!)

No it's still an artichoke. You can use any type of artichoke heart to make either a dip or bake. I'm not a fan of artichokes but don't mind them
in a bake.

Reactions: peakvegan
I'm so impressed with your gardening!!! This sunflower relative grows very well where I am, but I've never attempted it, only seen it at farmers markets.

It's hard to use up a large crop of anything! I'm a big fan of the freezer, but of course following that route, I always have way too much stuffed in there . . .

This site says you can dry them, too.

And since I have a tendency to want to ferment anything and everything, I had to search this out also:

Last edited:
Reactions: peakvegan
I'm so impressed with your gardening!!! This sunflower relative grows very well where I am, but I've never attempted it, only seen it at farmers markets.

It's hard to use up a large crop of anything! I'm a big fan of the freezer, but of course following that route, I always have way too much stuffed in there . . .

This site says you can dry them, too.

And since I have a tendency to want to ferment anything and everything, I had to search this out also:

Great ideas there! I have given away a fair few to neighbours to plant too, so next year there will be even more! In these days of increasing food insecurity, I think everyone should have a veggie patch and learn to grow, and learn to preserve too. It might just save our lives one day...

Reactions: bEt
I love regular artichokes so I bet I would love Jerusalem ones! I’ve never seen them but then I didn’t know what they looked like. I’ll have to notice next time I’m at the grocery store.

I've never tried them but I've had a kilo delivered to plant this year because I just fancy growing and eventually eating them.
Same. I'd never eaten them before so planted a few and got more than I bargained for! They were dead easy, really just looked after themselves. Needed extra water during the very hot dry spell but otherwise left them alone.

I have an impressive crop of Jerusalem artichokes but never having eaten them before need some ideas on how to use them. I've already made some soup (delicious) and a kind of potato/artichoke dauphinoise type thing (also lovely). Any other recipes or tips?
How would you compare them to artichokes? Like kinda have the taste, but starchy?
I see them all the time at my produce market but never picked them up. I need to, as I hope to start a little raised bed garden

How would you compare them to artichokes? Like kinda have the taste, but starchy?
I see them all the time at my produce market but never picked them up. I need to, as I hope to start a little raised bed garden
They have a kind of earthy, mushroomy flavour and a velvety texture when cooked. I wouldn't say they taste like globe artichokes. Definitely get some - they do say that once you plant them you'll always have them as they are pretty indestructable!

• Informative
Reactions: silva and KLS52
They have a kind of earthy, mushroomy flavour and a velvety texture when cooked. I wouldn't say they taste like globe artichokes. Definitely get some - they do say that once you plant them you'll always have them as they are pretty indestructable!
Sounds like I'd love them! Dang, I was just there yesterday