News I dithered over veganism for years–A message convinced me

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I dithered over veganism for years – until a friend’s simple message convinced me

Nice article and a good read but if you just want to know the simple message, (spoiler alert):
“Because I don’t need to eat meat, eggs or dairy,” she told me. “Things don’t have to suffer or die for me to live well.”

(Haven't read the article yet)... That was essentially what converted me. I was under the impression (for so many years...) that I needed to consume fish and eggs for optimum health. Once I made that realization, I switched overnight.

Reactions: Emma JC
That's a great example of why we should resist the urge to be combative or self-righteous when others start up their weak arguments against veganism. I had a very similar conversation with a vegan friend..."what about protein? it's natural!" etc etc and she just calmly rebutted everything I had. Then I accused her of pushing her beliefs on me, and she pointed out that I'd brought up the topic :joy: that conversation really stuck with me.

It's tough when someone's being confrontational and ignorant to not match their tone but I think if you can diffuse the emotional element and just communicate the facts it will have more impact on their thinking.