I am just going to stay plant based

MobiusX

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Too many vegan products not available in stores and the few ones that are= contains less of that product in whatever they are packaged in but cost more and lower product quality= not buying it. I am going to buy hand sanitizers today and cleaning products that are not vegan. I am not going to risk my health especially with this virus and I am more vulnerable than other people since I have chronic kidney disease. Just the face mask I bought from the store is not vegan and they only sell non vegan face masks.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
:fp:
There is nothing more concentrated, versitile, affordable, and useful on defeating any virus than a bottle of castile soap.
...and available at Targets, Walmarts and drug stores.

I'm not at all sure about your goal here, because so many options have been recommended...

You need a surfactant--soap & water, and time to allow it to be lifted.

Your excuse doesn't hold water.

The face mask isn't vegan :shrug:. I'd love to know why- silk? leather straps?

Silva,

I can guess why a face mask may not be vegan. Even if there isn't any thing that's from an animal that is a component of the materials, such as the fibers in the filter material or the elastic band, it is highly likely animal derived products could be used in their manufacture as a lubricant or coolant. An example could be that the lubricant/ coolant used to make the wire that forms the staples used to secure the straps.

I once worked in a manufacturing plant that made wiring used for telecommunications. If you ever have seen the braided jacket on coax cable used to hook up cable tv...that started out life as a 5/8" diameter wire of uncoated copper. Then that wire was drawn down through a series of reducing dies to 12 gauge, then plated, then further drawn down to a fine wire that was then used to braid the outer jacket. The machinery that held the dies through which the wire was fed had a bath of what was refered to as "compound" - a coolant and lubricant. One of the components of that was rendered animal fat. It was listed in the MSDS, material safety data sheet.

Sometimes it can be more difficult, but I find it worth it. Yes vegans do have less options, sometimes the alternatives cost more, but sometimes less. I found it a lot harder to ditch the cheese than the dawn soap, but everyone has their own struggles

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
It's really hard to be 100% vegan. It's up to you to determine your own point of diminishing returns lies.

And keep in mind that the definition of veganism adopted by The Vegan Society does not include the words "at all costs" but the words "where practical and possible". It also uses the word "strive" which is just a stronger word for "try".

Sometimes it can be more difficult, but I find it worth it. Yes vegans do have less options, sometimes the alternatives cost more, but sometimes less. I found it a lot harder to ditch the cheese than the dawn soap, but everyone has their own struggles

I am not going to pay more especially now since I am not going to get paid for the next 2 weeks due to the virus. Two people at the job at another department got the virus. The nurse at the job told me to take off for 2 weeks since I have chronic kidney disease. The only way I am going to pay more for all of the these vegan products is if I win the lottery. For now, this is the best I can do.

Reactions: Emma JC