Should I go to SeaWorld ?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My family and myself are going to Texas very soon and my wife wants to go to SeaWorld not for the animals but for the rides. I'm vegan, she's vegetarian. I've said I don't really want to support them by giving them my money. It's like lots of things in this non vegan world like shops and restaurants that sell animal products, I still use their services. Do you think I should compromise and go, or hold my ground and tell her that I won't be going?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I think it ultimately depends on whether it's your money or yours and your wife's. If it's both of you then the decision should be a discussed and reasoned one. If it's your money, but could just as easily be your wife's then same thing applies. You can be as strict as you like with yourself, but with other people - and especially a spouse or partner - I feel we should influence rather than dictate.

If it's just for the rides, though, I'm pretty sure SeaWorld is not the only attraction that can offer that kind of entertainment in the Texas area. Perhaps finding a good alternative might help with the decision-making.

Thanks for your reply. It is our joint money. There are some other theme parks we will be going to but there's a specific ride that's attracted her. I'm happy to drop her there but still hesitant to go myself. I try not to dictate and I do compromise.
It's hard to try and be as vegan as possible in a non vegan world. She is very supportive of my veganism and has done a lot of research about where to eat etc, and we always have vegan meals at home.

Thanks for your reply. It is our joint money. There are some other theme parks we will be going to but there's a specific ride that's attracted her. I'm happy to drop her there but still hesitant to go myself. I try not to dictate and I do compromise.
It's hard to try and be as vegan as possible in a non vegan world. She is very supportive of my veganism and has done a lot of research about where to eat etc, and we always have vegan meals at home.
To be frank, that sounds very much like you making your choices and leaving her to make hers - in other words, a healthy and respectful relationship. Given that, there's very little I could say that would add value for you. My guess is that you already know what feels right for you and you've already got a handle on the practicalities of your relationship, so I'd recommend you go with your instincts and not overthink what everyone else's opinion might be.

Either way, sounds like a great trip with plenty of opportunities, so hope you enjoy it.

It's a grey area really. If she is there for the ride but not paying for the cruelty, it isn't any different from buying plant-based food in a shop that also sells animal products and most, if not all of us do that.

Reactions: Dave hardrockmaster
I have been a dolphin lover (swimmer) for years and although I would no longer go to SeaWorld when I did go years ago I spent my time sending out loving thoughts to the animals there. Letting them know that I loved them and appreciated their sacrifice. It brought me to tears a number of times but I felt better by thanking them and sending them peace.

Maybe you can keep the peace by doing something similar.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

My family and myself are going to Texas very soon and my wife wants to go to SeaWorld not for the animals but for the rides. I'm vegan, she's vegetarian. I've said I don't really want to support them by giving them my money. It's like lots of things in this non vegan world like shops and restaurants that sell animal products, I still use their services. Do you think I should compromise and go, or hold my ground and tell her that I won't be going?
I personally would not go. Maybe you could talk to her kindly about at least watching “Blackfish” with an open mind before making the decision?

I personally would not go. Maybe you could talk to her kindly about at least watching “Blackfish” with an open mind before making the decision?
In the end we didn't go due to doing other activities and probably because my wife know I wasn't keen. As it happens, there was a trip to an aquarium planned by family living there but I stood my ground with that and said that I would not be going. Thanks for taking the time to respond 🙏

• Friendly
Reactions: Andy_T and PTree15
This is a really tough call. I've been visting Orlando from the UK since the early 1990s and in the past few visits I've steered clear of Seaworld. Although I'd love to visit and enjoy the rides and some of the exhibits, I just haven't been able to bring myself to go. I am actually ashamed to tell people that I did swim with the dolphins at Discovery Cove. If it was a family decision I'd honestly probably go, but there would be certain things I couldn't or wouldn't want to experience or see.