Question Hypocritical to buy a non-leather bag from Givenchy?

S

shash

Hi everyone :)
I'm a vegan. I LOVE fashion and lead a fairly luxurious lifestyle. I've had a look at some vegan handbag brands but i stumbled upon a non-leather (animal free) bag from Givenchy.

Obviously Givenchy is NOT a cruelty free brand as they sell leather, fur, among other animal skins. But the actual bag i like is technically 'vegan', would it be hypocritical or wrong for me to buy it because of who sells it?? I'm in such a dilemma please help :(

I don't know anything about this brand, but if the bag is non-animal, then I don't see anything wrong with it in principle.

I think most of us buy food products from companies that also make non-vegan products.

Buy it - and then rave to all your friends about it!!! We need to make people aware of cool vegan options.

I see it differently. Fashion is very much a choice, not a need. I encourage all food companies to expand into the vegan market and leave out unneccesary ingredients to help everyone make the choice, and make it affordable and mainstream.
There already exist many vegan fashion companies for those who can afford them and I would rather they be promoted rather than a high end company which has a huge market for animal products.

Yes, I, too, can see both sides of the issue. On the one hand, you don't want to support a company that profits off of cruelty, but on the other hand, if they make a product that's cruelty-free, even if it's "accidental", you want them to know there's a market for that and if they offer more cruelty-free products, they'll have enthusiastic buyers for those products.

On the other hand, if they continue to sell ethically-unacceptable products, that sort of cancels out the good they do with the vegan products...

And now MY head hurts, too... :fp:

There is no obvious answer to this, but I think you should go ahead and buy it if you really, really want it.

I think attitudes will shift one day though. One day it will be much more mainstream to not buy any product from a company that has some animal products which in theory is the best moral stance, but in practice I think we are way off that yet.

I personally probably wouldn't. The purse I'm currently using came from a thrift store. I'm not a fashion status but not a slob either.

It's almost impossible to buy and not buy some things from companies that also use and sell animal products. I'm not so sure there is an exact right or wrong. You should do what you want to do.

Yes, I, too, can see both sides of the issue. On the one hand, you don't want to support a company that profits off of cruelty, but on the other hand, if they make a product that's cruelty-free, even if it's "accidental", you want them to know there's a market for that and if they offer more cruelty-free products, they'll have enthusiastic buyers for those products.

On the other hand, if they continue to sell ethically-unacceptable products, that sort of cancels out the good they do with the vegan products...

And now MY head hurts, too... :fp:

Joining in the brain ache. Whilst you can avoid non-vegan stores it'd be near impossible to only ever buy from 100% vegan sources. I do when I have a choice, but often don't. I don't personally see a bag as something that you can't get an alternative for (unless it's got a very specific purpose). HOWEVER, if a company sold fur I'd draw the line and not use them at all.

Ultimately it sounds like you're not comfortable buying the bag because you're online asking for justification to buy it. What about buying a Stella McCartney bag instead :)