Huge fight with non-vegan bf?

Anyone here who has paid any attention to my posts knows that while I am committed to a vegan lifestyle for myself, I would never impose my beliefs on others to the point that I will cook meat for my children when they come home. I don't eat it, but I will cook it for others occasionally if they ask.

There is so much contradiction in this post and your other posts that it hurts my head.

A person with morals would never be able to cook animal flesh for others long term without it bothering them to the core. I understand the responsibilities of being a parent but being a good parent involves discipline and neither leniency nor strictness. Why can't your kids be disciplined to cook their own meat?

Veganism isn't a belief system like religion. It's an ethical stand. Seems like you've labelled yourself a vegan for the ego trip.

Reactions: 1 person
There is so much contradiction in this post and your other posts that it hurts my head.

A person with morals would never be able to cook animal flesh for others long term without it bothering them to the core. I understand the responsibilities of being a parent but being a good parent involves discipline and neither leniency nor strictness. Why can't your kids be disciplined to cook their own meat?

Veganism isn't a belief system like religion. It's an ethical stand. Seems like you've labelled yourself a vegan for the ego trip.
So by your definition, my non-judgmental approach to veganism means I have no morals and I'm unethical? And apparently, I am also a bad parent to my adult children even though I have only been vegan for 18 months and my children are all grown adults. Perhaps you can lend me your time machine and I will go back and try to live up to your standards of veganism thus avoiding my horrific parenting mistakes.

By the way, I'd compare my kids to yours anytime. By any measure, I'm sure your kids would pale in comparison based on your phrase, "Why can't your kids be disciplined..." to which I'd have to respond, "Why can't you let you kids think critically for themselves about issues such as veganism rather than making them blindly obey the credo that they have been disciplined to follow?" Check and mate.

Now you speak about contradictions, and then say that veganism isn't a belief system like religion, and yet you believe that only your version of veganism is the correct version, and that mine is merely an ego trip. And somehow you don't see that as a contradiction? There are many, many positive reasons for living a vegan lifestyle. Your reasons are no more correct or wrong than anyone else's reasons.

I've met vegans like you before. They are consumed by their own choices and must try and tear other people down to justify their own insecurities. Not interested in participating in that dynamic. So glad to have people like you on this forum these days.

P.S. Please let me know about that time machine. I'd really like to go back in time prior to March 23, 2018 right now for some inexplicable reason.

My reply wasn't an attack like you took it. You're too much of a narcissist to take open criticism and your condescending dictator behavior will not work on me. You do remind me of my dictator parents though with their leniency and co-dependent behavior by trying to keep your adult children as children and dependent on you for the rest of their lives.

All the paragraphs you wrote hurt my head as they aren't logically conclusive.

You're not a vegan. You're on a plant based diet for whatever reason.

So by your definition, my non-judgmental approach to veganism means I have no morals and I'm unethical? And apparently, I am also a bad parent to my adult children even though I have only been vegan for 18 months and my children are all grown adults. Perhaps you can lend me your time machine and I will go back and try to live up to your standards of veganism thus avoiding my horrific parenting mistakes.

This isn't what I said. Veganism has nothing to do with style of parenting.

Cooking meat regardless of who is eating it is an indication of unethical behavior as veganism is an ethical stand to do no harm and promote harm to sentient beings; whether directly or indirectly.

By the way, I'd compare my kids to yours anytime. By any measure, I'm sure your kids would pale in comparison based on your phrase, "Why can't your kids be disciplined..." to which I'd have to respond, "Why can't you let you kids think critically for themselves about issues such as veganism rather than making them blindly obey the credo that they have been disciplined to follow?" Check and mate.

Ego trip and gross assumptions. Your definition of veganism is incorrect.

Now you speak about contradictions, and then say that veganism isn't a belief system like religion, and yet you believe that only your version of veganism is the correct version, and that mine is merely an ego trip. And somehow you don't see that as a contradiction? There are many, many positive reasons for living a vegan lifestyle. Your reasons are no more correct or wrong than anyone else's reasons.

You have no version of veganism as you haven't taken an ethical stand against the enslavement and abuse of other sentient beings. You are simply as they say... "beating around the bush".

I've met vegans like you before. They are consumed by their own choices and must try and tear other people down to justify their own insecurities. Not interested in participating in that dynamic. So glad to have people like you on this forum these days.

P.S. Please let me know about that time machine. I'd really like to go back in time prior to March 23, 2018 right now for some inexplicable reason.

More gross assumptions about me.

You're glad to have people on the forum you can try to beat down with your narcissism. Stop crying wolf to try to seem like you're a victim. You are someone who is set is their ways with "I'm the home cook that cooks meat for others" and trying to fit the your home cook screw into a hole(veganism) where it logically doesn't fit.

My reply wasn't an attack like you took it. You're too much of a narcissist to take open criticism and your condescending dictator behavior will not work on me. You do remind me of my dictator parents though with their leniency and co-dependent behavior by trying to keep your adult children as children and dependent on you for the rest of their lives.

All the paragraphs you wrote hurt my head as they aren't logically conclusive.

You're not a vegan. You're on a plant based diet for whatever reason.

This isn't what I said. Veganism has nothing to do with style of parenting.

Cooking meat regardless of who is eating it is an indication of unethical behavior as veganism is an ethical stand to do no harm and promote harm to sentient beings; whether directly or indirectly.

Ego trip and gross assumptions. Your definition of veganism is incorrect.

You have no version of veganism as you haven't taken an ethical stand against the enslavement and abuse of other sentient beings. You are simply as they say... "beating around the bush".

More gross assumptions about me.

You're glad to have people on the forum you can try to beat down with your narcissism. Stop crying wolf to try to seem like you're a victim. You are someone who is set is their ways with "I'm the home cook that cooks meat for others" and trying to fit the your home cook screw into a hole(veganism) where it logically doesn't fit.
I'm sorry you are still struggling with mommy and daddy issues. This isn't the place to get help. Try a Psychologist.

I'm sorry you are still struggling with mommy and daddy issues. This isn't the place to get help. Try a Psychologist.

You don't experience cognitive dissonance. Human design is right about you. You have no Ajna and no thinking channels. You are forever to remain uncertain and just make a mess. A typical Man child.

So you have decided to be at odds with 99.5% of the country? Let me know how that works out for you.
I don't think odds have anything to do with ethics. And whether it is 99.5% or 0.5% doesn't matter. Finding a partner who you plan to spend the rest of your life with is a big deal. And if she is limited to 0.5% at least she knows they will be ethically on the same wave length. Which is a very big deal in a long lasting relationship.

I don't believe that you should coerce, force, intimidate, nag, or apply any other pressure to anyone to adopt the food choices you make. If it is a personal relationship and you feel that you have to change your partner to make them more acceptable, you've already lost the battle, you just don't know it yet.
I agree with this on many topics. Not only veganism.

Reactions: Plant Muncher
I don't think odds have anything to do with ethics. And whether it is 99.5% or 0.5% doesn't matter. Finding a partner who you plan to spend the rest of your life with is a big deal. And if she is limited to 0.5% at least she knows they will be ethically on the same wave length. Which is a very big deal in a long lasting relationship.
I fully support anyone that wants to limit their choice of partners to 0.5 percent of the population. I think they are nuts but I would defend their right to do so just the same. Having said that, compromise is the greatest asset in any relationship.

Reactions: poivron
It's an illusion that pressuring someone into veganism comes after someone becomes vegan. I see it as if two omnivores/vegetarians are dating and one decides to stop eating animal products and the other doesn't see how factory farming is morally wrong... then it isn't about veganism at all. Veganism just brings to light whether someone is able to place themselves in the position of an enslaved animal or not and make the moral decision of not supporting a corrupt industry. We wouldn't need the law if everyone was born with morals.

Last edited:
Umm. Do you actually know a "large number of vegans" in real life? People you can see, hear, touch, feel and not simply the click bait on youtube and drama filled scenes of people invading restaurants and finger wagging?

Are you suggesting that vegans who post on forums like this one don't count? I have observed plenty of posters on this site and other vegan sites who are clearly more interested in demonstrating their own moral superiority than they are about what happens to animals, people, or the planet. I have observed their behavior in online videos of vegan festivals, where they boo and attack vegan speakers for not being vegan enough. Just yesterday, one of them was in the news for Twitter-bullying a vegan woman who bought a non-vegan ice-cream for a crying kid. The fact that I haven't met these people in real life does not make them any less real.

I doubt anyone who goes vegan does so because they want to be part of a small minority in a morally superior position. That in itself suggests they didn't make their decision for logical or ethical reasons, but frivolous ones, ones that can be reversed with just a slight bit of pressure. It's the position of someone who is only in it for the show, the applause of their group and perhaps others who they think will admire them for it. I don't see anyone lasting in such a position, not when the majority of the society in which they live tries to tempt them to do otherwise.

As I stated in my previous post, "morally superior" vegans are usually recent converts to veganism. It therefore follows that they don't last very long as vegans. But that does not make them any less real, any less vegan, or any less harmful.

You seem to have misunderstood my post to mean that all or most vegans are like this. What I said is that "a large number of" vegans are like this. They are a small minority, but sadly, they are louder and more active in the movement, and they harm the vegan cause by making all vegans look bad.

Reactions: Plant Muncher
Are you suggesting that vegans who post on forums like this one don't count? I have observed plenty of posters on this site and other vegan sites who are clearly more interested in demonstrating their own moral superiority than they are about what happens to animals, people, or the planet. I have observed their behavior in online videos of vegan festivals, where they boo and attack vegan speakers for not being vegan enough. Just yesterday, one of them was in the news for Twitter-bullying a vegan woman who bought a non-vegan ice-cream for a crying kid. The fact that I haven't met these people in real life does not make them any less real.

As I stated in my previous post, "morally superior" vegans are usually recent converts to veganism. It therefore follows that they don't last very long as vegans. But that does not make them any less real, any less vegan, or any less harmful.

You seem to have misunderstood my post to mean that all or most vegans are like this. What I said is that "a large number of" vegans are like this. They are a small minority, but sadly, they are louder and more active in the movement, and they harm the vegan cause by making all vegans look bad.
This is off topic.

Remind you of anyone here....

Vegan woman buys ice cream for a little kid, becomes subject of online firestorm
z3tphsv2eclk1z1kuuik.jpg

Photo: Ben McCanna/Portland Press Herald (Getty Images)

A 22-year-old English woman did a nice thing this past weekend, and naturally it’s come back to bite her in the *** on social media. On Saturday, the woman bought an ice cream for a (crying) little girl who didn’t have money to buy a cone. Then, she made the fatal mistake of tweeting about it.

See, the woman who paid for the girl’s ice cream identifies herself as “vegan blogger” in her Twitter profile, and one dude in particular was not going to let her buy a non-vegan ice cream cone for a child without a public shaming. The Guardian and other outlets have reported that this Twitter user named Anthony posted screenshots of his direct messageswith the woman, accusing her of “harming and killing non-human babies” by purchasing a dairy-based ice cream. He then posted a thread of tweets calling on his followers to message her. (How nice of him to statethat he does “not want her to be attacked.”) His initial tweet, in which he posts the screenshots, has more than 1,300 retweets.

Of course, that caused the whole situation—which began with a woman buying a kid an ice cream—to become a viral story over the weekend. The woman seems to have kept a fairly level head through this whole thing, saying she doesn’t think it’s against her vegan ideals to buy a dairy-based treat for a child.

The woman and some of her defenders apparently tried to report the male Twitter user’s messages as harassment, but weren’t successful. The message here? Eat what you want, do whatever random acts of kindness you want, but don’t tell the internet anything ever.

Vegan woman buys ice cream for a little kid, becomes subject of online firestorm
z3tphsv2eclk1z1kuuik.jpg

A 22-year-old English woman did a nice thing this past weekend, and naturally it’s come back to bite her in the *** on social media. On Saturday, the woman bought an ice cream for a (crying) little girl who didn’t have money to buy a cone. Then, she made the fatal mistake of tweeting about it.

See, the woman who paid for the girl’s ice cream identifies herself as “vegan blogger” in her Twitter profile, and one dude in particular was not going to let her buy a non-vegan ice cream cone for a child without a public shaming. The Guardian and other outlets have reported that this Twitter user named Anthony posted screenshots of his direct messageswith the woman, accusing her of “harming and killing non-human babies” by purchasing a dairy-based ice cream. He then posted a thread of tweets calling on his followers to message her. (How nice of him to statethat he does “not want her to be attacked.”) His initial tweet, in which he posts the screenshots, has more than 1,300 retweets.

Of course, that caused the whole situation—which began with a woman buying a kid an ice cream—to become a viral story over the weekend. The woman seems to have kept a fairly level head through this whole thing, saying she doesn’t think it’s against her vegan ideals to buy a dairy-based treat for a child.

The woman and some of her defenders apparently tried to report the male Twitter user’s messages as harassment, but weren’t successful. The message here? Eat what you want, do whatever random acts of kindness you want, but don’t tell the internet anything ever.

It's not the same thing. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Your "adult" children are more than capable of cooking meat for themselves while an actual child can't procure for itself. And there is more to every story regarding the child actually needing food or if it was being a spoiled brat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forest Nymph
I feel I have a right to respond to someone who responded to a comment I made, answering the questions she asked and clarifying some misunderstandings. I am sorry that you feel I shouldn't have that right.
You do have the right. Just keep it on topic.

z3tphsv2eclk1z1kuuik.jpg

Yes a substantial part of being vegan is not monetarily participating in capitalist exploitation of animals. It's one thing to be homeless or so poor that you have to accept bread that has milk or egg in it, or eat granola bars that have honey...that's just society's cast offs to the poorest of the poor, and one of the things I frequently defend is that it's easier for the homeless, people living in abject poverty and people in developing countries to be vegetarian rather than vegan just due to the set-up of society and how it works and "trickles down" on the poor.

That being said, cooking for your adult children is nothing like helping a crying small child, it's a choice you're consciously making and a speciesist one at that. Furthermore, this woman could have bought the child a sorbet cone. If I bought a child a cone I would buy them sorbet. Problem solved. Or she could have bought the child another sweet, lolly or chocolate that was vegan. She could have bought the child an entire box of popcicles or vegan cookies.

A fundamental aspect of being vegan is to absolutely not participate in the actual capitalist purchase of animal products, oh my god, this isn't rocket science.

I fully support anyone that wants to limit their choice of partners to 0.5 percent of the population. I think they are nuts but I would defend their right to do so just the same. Having said that, compromise is the greatest asset in any relationship.

Yeah compromise is a great asset when you're talking about things like what color to paint the kitchen, what movie to see together on date night, or to do a soft settlement in arguments that honestly don't matter much to you but matter much more to your partner.

That being said, most sane people don't compromise on their core beliefs when choosing a life partner. People divorced their spouses for voting for Donald Trump. This is real life. There are core value differences which are irreconcilable. I personally will date vegetarians as well as vegans, I find meat eaters to generally be arrogant and entitled about their animal consumption and I just don't have patience for some fuckwit telling me how they don't "mind" vegans or vegan food. That's the kind of garbage you say to co-workers or friends, not to romantic partners. But I get that you're not really vegan, so ...yeah.

By the way Mr. Statistics, vegetarians comprise about 10 percent of the American population and vegans are about 6 percent. The only places vegans make up 0.5 percent of the population are Finland, Slovenia and Spain.

5% of Israel is vegan and 7% of the United Kingdom. A whopping 27% of India claims to be vegan.

Last edited:
This isn't a complicated issue, the diet one chooses is nobody's business but theirs.

Last edited: