Huge fight with non-vegan bf?

By the way Mr. Statistics, vegetarians comprise about 10 percent of the American population and vegans are about 6 percent. The only places vegans make up 0.5 percent of the population are Finland, Slovenia and Spain.

5% of Israel is vegan and 7% of the United Kingdom. A whopping 27% of India claims to be vegan.

These statistics for % vegan look very high. I think 1% or less globally is more accurate. What is your source here?

When we say that 1% of people (for instance) are vegan, that is still quite a lot. That is still millions of potential partners.

If you live in a big city and are willing to use online dating for example, or proactively go to places/clubs where there are likely to be more vegans, to look outside your own existing circles of contacts, then there are still plenty of options. Of course, if you live in a small town or village far from other places it's much harder.

@Jamie in Chile

Those stats aren't high they're current. Its common knowledge that Israel is around 5% vegan. The United States in 2017 via self report is 7% vegan (though some of those could be vegetarian or short term given the crowd populating vegan YouTube). India claims to be about 1/4 vegan and is well known to be at least 1/3 vegetarian because vegetarianism and veganism are a centuries old part of their religious life.

Remember in the US we have 7th Day Adventists as well as urban secular vegans, immigrants who are Buddhist, Jain or Hindu...California alone has normalized veganism to the point that its standard in the California State University system to offer vegan options and Los Angeles county just voted for vegan options in public schools. I used to live a few miles from an all vegan high school.

Israel is the center of a world vegan revolution. The numbers may seem high to someone in South America by contrast.

@winston10

Lol. Moral relativism is so intellectually lazy. Cultural defenses for eating animals hold about as much moral weight as cultural defenses for female genital mutilation and beating your wife only on the church steps on Sunday with a stick smaller than a 2x4.

Animals are worthy of our moral consideration by their very existence (read Peter Singer if you haven't) but also from a humanist angle the consumption of animals in any case other than poverty or genuine ignorance is not ethical because of the effect of animal agriculture on climate change, water and air pollution, land waste and global starvation.

Reactions: Veganite
100.gif

I don't know how someone can eat animals after watch horrific Earthlings. I don't think much will change his mind sadly.