How would your average omni look?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
How would a healthy weight omnie look, if the calorific resources that went into making their food were eaten directly?

As it takes 5(? I always for get what factor it is) kilos of plant stuff to produce 1kilo of meat.

Would they be morbidly obese after a few years, if their cheese burger where eaten as five veggieburgers?

It could be an angle for veg publicity(dare I say it peta).

eta: forgot 'look' in title.

wasn't sure which forum to put this in; maybe 'environmental' would be better?

I think this angle of looking at meat is a good one. It's one I've thought about also. It's also been mentioned before about the use of the meat industry. I don't talk with others much about being vegan. But if anyone is really interested in the hunger of others, here is a partial solution.

There is a radio advertizement I hear about people "quietly struggling with hunger" in the U.S.. I'm not trying to make light of that but when I hear it on the radio, I often think "would people be happy with what I eat?" And often I think the answer would be no.

I read that an omnie diet uses three times the land a vegetarian's uses.....if that were the bases of the answer to my questions, and an typical healthy diet was say 2000calories, then an omnivore equivalent(ie wasted land use) diet would be 6000 calories per day....
So I guess a lot of omnies would put on weight quite quickly at that rate.

I've always thought I'd be incredibly overweight as an omni... vegan junk food is nowhere near as bad for you as omni junk food (and not as readily available). If I had access to lots of cheap, fatty microwave meals and all the fast food options around, I'd likely be eating them instead of cooking from scratch :p

Reactions: Tom L.
I've always thought I'd be incredibly overweight as an omni... vegan junk food is nowhere near as bad for you as omni junk food (and not as readily available). If I had access to lots of cheap, fatty microwave meals and all the fast food options around, I'd likely be eating them instead of cooking from scratch :p

yea, I'm the same....I'm sure I'm putting on weight with all the Amy's Mac&cheezes and Redwoods pizzas etc........

I lost 8 stone by giving up those trips to the fridge for cuts of brie, and slices of quiche etc.....I really want a good vegan version of brie, but it might be the end of me. :D

I do hope that they can find a vegan source for casein though...it would make cheese on toast, and pizza much better. I think that is the protein that makes cheese melt in the stringy rubbery way it does.

Oh, if a vegan brie is ever created, I will be in serious trouble. :D That is probably the one cheese I actually miss.

It's true that a lot more land is used for the production of food if you're not vegan or strict vegetarian, but I don't remember how much. I remember that it varies somewhat depending on which animal is being used as the "middleman"; chickens are comparatively efficient and don't use as much land, pigs less so, and cows less efficient still. Acre for acre, a pond for raising fish is supposed to be very productive too. But there is a lot of loss with any of them, compared to eating the plants directly.

As for which vegan cheese I would ask for if a genie appeared before me... maybe a good sharp cheddar which would melt nicely, maybe a good mozzarella for a convincing vegan pizza, maybe a parmesan or romano... Now I'm picturing the genie running out of patience waiting for me to make up my mind and going off to look for someone who's easier to please. I suppose I'll just ask for a low-calorie but ridiculously good-tasting Brie for Blobbenstein and PTree. At least you two know what you want!