How women can curb hormonal imbalance

Cyprus

Newcomer
Reaction score
Put simply, hormones are chemical substances from the endocrine system that act as messengers for your body. They travel in your bloodstream to tissues and organs.
Hormones matter because they affect many processes in the body, including: growth and development, metabolism, sexual function and mood.
The balance of female hormones in a woman’s body is important for optimal health, including cancer prevention. Some important hormones for women to know include thyroid-stimulating hormones, estrogen and insulin.

Hormones can play a role in the development of cancer. Estrogen has been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer and uterine cancer. Insulin can promote cancers of the breast, liver, pancreas, in addition to gynecologic cancers.
Eating to balance your hormones consists of achieving the right balance of macro and micro-nutrients so your endocrine system gets the right variety and amounts of the key nutrients it needs to produce optimal hormone levels.

Carolyn Lammersfeld, Vice President of Integrative Medicine at our hospital outside Chicago, also suggests speaking with your doctor about pre-biotics and pro-biotics. They both help you maintain optimal digestive health, and along with fiber, may help to lower the amount of estrogen reabsorbed back into your bloodstream, which may to help regulate estrogen levels.

• Sources of pre-biotics: asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes, bananas, oatmeal, dried beans and peas
  • Sources of pro-biotics: yogurt and kefir
In addition to modifying your diet, exercise is an equally important part of balancing hormones.

“Since excess weight can affect hormone levels, achieving and maintaining a healthy body weight through diet and physical activity is important,” says Lammersfeld. “Carrying extra weight can lead to elevated estrogen, insulin and leptin levels, all of which have been associated with increased risk of chronic disease.”

Sleep is also important for regulating ghrelin and leptin, the two hormones responsible for regulating hunger/appetite. Sleep also plays a role in how well your cells use insulin.

Some additional tips for eating to achieve hormonal balance include:

• Reduce portions of high-fat meats and dairy products to help with weight management
  • Increase consumption of fiber-containing foods, like whole grains, vegetables, beans and fruits
  • Decrease intake of omega-6 polyunsaturated fats from vegetable oils like corn, safflower and sunflower, as well as meat products
  • Limit caffeine intake
  • Get adequate vitamin D from foods such as fortified low fat milk, yogurt, salmon, tuna and mushrooms
  • Eat plenty of cruciferous vegetable like broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage and kale
  • Avoid or limit alcohol intake to no more than one drink per day
There are many other factors that can affect hormone balance in the body. The tips above are general guidelines. Always speak with your doctor before altering your diet.

Interesting post - thank you for sharing! I'm glad that I like all of those foods - makes it easier! I'll have to try incorporating more of them into my diet though, and seeing if I notice any sort of difference. It's amazing how much what you consume has an impact on your overall health and wellness...I guess it's like the saying "let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food".

I'm still so new at this, but I've already been working on some of these ideas and tips already.

“Since excess weight can affect hormone levels, achieving and maintaining a healthy body weight through diet and physical activity is important,” says Lammersfeld. “Carrying extra weight can lead to elevated estrogen, insulin and leptin levels, all of which have been associated with increased risk of chronic disease.”

-

This is pretty interesting, I thought that elevated oestrogen levels let to the weight gain, so it's a bit of a loop if you ask me. I think the main thing to contemplate when thinking of trying to balance hormones, is avoiding artificial ones. I have been on artificial hormones in the form of the pill for nearly 3 1/2 years of my life and it has caused HAVOK with my natural hormonal system. Plastics are also xenoestrogen (synthetic oestrogen) dense and should be avoided, difficult in this society but possible. Avoid plastic based medication (all of it basically). And yeah, plant based, high carbohydrate, mineral, vitamin rich diet, with exercise and fresh air for the win!

I learned first hand the large part hormones play in a woman's life, when I suffered from fibroids. Balancing my hormones not only helped me shrink them, but improved, and helps to maintain my health. I discovered the importance of progesterone, one hormone you did not mention, and how it affects so many processes when it isn't adequate or proportionately balanced with the other hormones.
All the tips you gave were so helpful.

I HAD HARMONAL PROBLEM AT 20 YEARS.I HAD FERTILEMD FOR FEW MONTHS.tHEN ITS FINE.