Vegan How to Cook Brown Rice

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Brown rice is full of nutrients, fibre and has a lovely nutty flavour. It is also in the 'good carb' category and helps you to fill full longer.

275 g (10 oz) long grain brown (basmati) rice (organic is better)
1 tsp salt
750 ml (1 1/4 pint) boiling water

Put the rice, salt into a medium, heavy base saucepan.
Pour in the boiling water, bring to the boil. Give the rice a stir and
put on the tight fitting lid.
Turn the heat down and leave to simmer very gently for 35 mins. No peeking !
Set the covered pan aside and leave for a further 10 mins.
Uncover, fluff up the rice with a fork.

Tip : Please read the food safety guidelines for reheating rice :
Can reheating rice cause food poisoning?

Reactions: veganworldpower
You can cook it in the oven too, right?

• 1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

You can cook it in the oven too, right?

• 1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

Yes, it would be fine to cook rice in the oven.However being savvy, I wouldn't consider using the oven for
a whole hour unless I was going to make something else at the same time.

Having said this, rice pudding really does taste better baked than cooked on the hob.:p

Yes, it would be fine to cook rice in the oven.However being savvy, I wouldn't consider using the oven for
a whole hour unless I was going to make something else at the same time.

Having said this, rice pudding really does taste better baked than cooked on the hob.:p
My family cracks up because I want to cram the oven full when I use it. I use 3 shelves sometimes. :D

Put one cup of brown rice in the rice cooker. Put two cups of water in. Crush a bullion cube and toss it in. Then start the rice cooker and wander off for 25 minutes.

;)

Reactions: Col and RabbitLuvr
Put one cup of brown rice in the rice cooker. Put two cups of water in. Crush a bullion cube and toss it in. Then start the rice cooker and wander off for 25 minutes.

;)

I put the brown rice in the rice cooker, add water until it reaches the correct line on the side, start it and wander off for 45-50 minutes. I'll have to try it with a bouillon cube next time. :yes:

A green onion chopped up and mixed in with the rice is pretty good as well.

I almost always use boullion as well. Sometimes, I'll use canned diced tomatoes or tomato juice, add sauteed onion and garlic, or whatever herbs and/or seasonings will go with whatever the rest of the meal will be.

What brands of veggie bouillon cubes are you guys using? Are there any brands that are "accidently vegan"? The only vegetarian cubes I've been able to find are these
51DK6UNtUBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and I can only find them at the health food store for $5.99.

My family cracks up because I want to cram the oven full when I use it. I use 3 shelves sometimes. :D

I do this too! It just makes sense to me . If I'm making something for lunch that requires using the oven, I will go ahead and make dinner then too instead of wasting more electricity later.

I suck at making rice. It's almost always undercooked and crunchy even when I use instant rice. I prefer short grain rice and will have to try to cook it in the oven on my next rice making attempt.

Reactions: ledboots
I use Better Than Bouillon No Chicken. For recipes that call for one bouillon cube, I kind of just eyeball it and add about the same amount.

;)

I also use my rice cooker almost always...Depending of the quality of the rice I find different amounts of water are needed. Two cups for average supermarket brown rice, almost three for organic. I also add broth sometimes, buy mainly homemade concentrated, which I keep in cubes in the freezer.

One thing I don't like about brown rice is that it can be really gritty and firm, even if I add more water or cook it longer than recommended.
I somehow image black rice to be worse. So how does it compare?

One thing I don't like about brown rice is that it can be really gritty and firm, even if I add more water or cook it longer than recommended.
I somehow image black rice to be worse. So how does it compare?

It all depends on the quality of rice that you're using. The round, short grain variety takes far longer than the long grain. You should also rinse it before cooking it. Some brown rices have already been partially cooked which reduces the cooking time.

Black rice ( Nanjing ) rice cooks quicker than the short grain and a bit longer than long grain. Moreover it tastes really delicious.

Reactions: ledboots
Our favorite way to cook brown rice came from a Lorna Sass cookbook.

Put one cup dry brown rice in a heavy saucepan that has a tight fitting lid. With heat on medium, stir the dry rice till it smells fragrant, pops just a little, and takes on a slightly darker color. Meanwhile boil two cups water.

When the rice has finished toasting, stand back from pot and add the hot water. It will sizzle up like crazy so be careful. Clamp on the lid and let cook 40 minutes. Water should be absorbed. Let stand off heat ten minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Of course, you can add salt or a veggie bouillon cube/paste when adding water.
This rice is fluffy, nutty, and delicious with separate grains.

Best cooking method I've found yet.

Another option:

When you put the rice in the pot, add olive oil (or another high quality oil). Swish it around until the rice is fully coated. Let it sit for a moment so the oil starts to soak into the grain. Optional: add fresh herbs or spices. Then add the water and proceed as usual.

Instant pot. 1 part brown rice to 1.5 water or broth. 23 minutes pressure, natural pressure release