Vegan How to Cook Brown Rice

no one in this thread has brought up rinsing.

Depending on where it's grown, brown rice can have dangerous amounts of arsenic.

I know we have discussed this in other theads.

I alway soak and rinse my rice but even better - I usually buy California grown basmati brown rice - which has the lowest amount of arsenic. Plus I like the taste. but it's not as cheap either.

Can anyone here speak to soaking and rinsing brown rice to reduce arsenic?

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I never soak or rinse rice. I don't eat large quantities to be bothered about arsenic levels. Apparently, the best method
to reduce arsenic levels and also to preserve nutrients (which are removed if you soak) is to use the parboiling method.

Too much faff imo.

no one in this thread has brought up rinsing.

Depending on where it's grown, brown rice can have dangerous amounts of arsenic.

I know we have discussed this in other theads.

I alway soak and rinse my rice but even better - I usually buy California grown basmati brown rice - which has the lowest amount of arsenic. Plus I like the taste. but it's not as cheap either.

Can anyone here speak to soaking and rinsing brown rice to reduce arsenic?
Strictly speaking, all types of rice can have dangerous amounts of arsenic, not just brown rice.

That said, rinsing won't make much difference since the arsenic is absorbed by the plant, not dusted around the outside. If you want to minimise the amount of arsenic you consume, better is to soak the rice overnight and then cook using much more water than recipes normally suggest - 5:1 ratio of water to rice rather than the normal 2:1. If time is short, cooking in the larger amount of water will still remove a lot of the arsenic; just not as much as when combined with the presoaking.

Presoaking and then cooking in 5:1 water ratio will cut the arsenic level by about 80%, so it's not minor tweaks territory.