How To Budget Your Money

I have been absolutely useless in budgeting my money for months now.:oops: I am still thinking about moving house next year so I need to start saving up for the cost of moving and the stamp duty etc...

Payday is next week so I am setting myself a challenge to save £9,000 by the end of 2019.

I doubt I will hit that target but it's better to have an ambitious goal to strive for!:D

Asda are really affordable but the only problem is that the online groceries orders often arrive with a lot of missing items and the people who pack the bags don't bother to even substitute them. Where I live anyway.:mad:
Yep I've gone back to ocado with the occasional Asda shop to stock up on certain things. Ocado are just reliable & Asda had 2 hour delivery slots which I found a bit annoying.

Yep I've gone back to ocado with the occasional Asda shop to stock up on certain things. Ocado are just reliable & Asda had 2 hour delivery slots which I found a bit annoying.

Are prices the same, online ? Over here all the shops charge far more for identical products when they are delivered. They also charge for the delivery.

Last edited:
Trying out morrisons for a food delivery next week as they sent me a £12 off a £60 shop voucher. I don't know why they sent it to me or how they got my email as I've never shopped with them before! However it's a good opportunity to stock up on a few extra bits & to give them a try.

I've spent about £50 including delivery which is around our usual amount.

Added in one of their 'wonky veg' boxes which will be interesting too. :)

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Trying out morrisons for a food delivery next week as they sent me a £12 off a £60 shop voucher. I don't know why they sent it to me or how they got my email as I've never shopped with them before! However it's a good opportunity to stock up on a few extra bits & to give them a try.

I've spent about £50 including delivery which is around our usual amount.

Added in one of their 'wonky veg' boxes which will be interesting too. :)

I actually discovered Morrisons in Brighton. They don't seem to have any stores in the other parts of the South that I usually visit. I must say that I was impressed with their prices and products. I also liked their bargain basket and would often pick up a loaf of bread and other items for a fraction of the price. However, I didn't see their wonky vegetables whilst I was there so it may be something new. I have seen the ad on TV.

Looking forward to your feedback when you receive the order.

Reactions: Val
I did sometimes pop in to store & always thought their fruit/veg was extremely well priced. Hadn't seen the wonky veg boxes in store though...not too sure how much you actually get in one but it's worth trying. Will definitely let you know how we get on :)

I did sometimes pop in to store & always thought their fruit/veg was extremely well priced. Hadn't seen the wonky veg boxes in store though...not too sure how much you actually get in one but it's worth trying. Will definitely let you know how we get on :)

I was wondering whether they were cheaper than the standard vegetables. ;)

This is what I got in my wonky veg box, shyvas! Quite happy with it. There are 12 little onions in there, lots of potatoes & carrots plus the leeks, parsnips, Swede & lettuce. 20190409_124311.jpg

I never shop at Morissons, not sure why!o_O:D

We have decided not to move house now as we have had so many vet bills that I am worried that it will wipe out all our savings if we incur all the moving costs as well.

New plan - my husband now says that he does still want to retire early so the plan is to retire in 5 years time when I'm 48. He will be 53 and he wants to leave his pension to take at age 55 so we need to save enough funds by then to bridge the 2 year gap.

I never shop at Morissons, not sure why!o_O:D

We have decided not to move house now as we have had so many vet bills that I am worried that it will wipe out all our savings if we incur all the moving costs as well.

New plan - my husband now says that he does still want to retire early so the plan is to retire in 5 years time when I'm 48. He will be 53 and he wants to leave his pension to take at age 55 so we need to save enough funds by then to bridge the 2 year gap.

That certainly is a young age to retire. You never know and may be able to move to the seaside later on.;)

I cut $18 from my cellphone bill by switching to a prepaid plan and signing up for auto pay. I still get unlimited talk and text and actually get a gig more of data per month. I checked out various plans other than Verizon, but a number of Verizon phones don't work or don't work well with other cheaper plans. So I stuck with Verizon for now. When I need a new phone, I might consider buying an unlocked phone and then choosing a cheaper plan. I was able to do this because my phone is now paid for and no longer under contract. Signing up for auto pay saves me $5 per month. I linked it to my credit card as I'd rather not have my checking or savings account linked to my bills (though I do have my car insurance payment linked to my checking account).

I cut $18 from my cellphone bill by switching to a prepaid plan and signing up for auto pay. I still get unlimited talk and text and actually get a gig more of data per month. I checked out various plans other than Verizon, but a number of Verizon phones don't work or don't work well with other cheaper plans. So I stuck with Verizon for now. When I need a new phone, I might consider buying an unlocked phone and then choosing a cheaper plan. I was able to do this because my phone is now paid for and no longer under contract. Signing up for auto pay saves me $5 per month. I linked it to my credit card as I'd rather not have my checking or savings account linked to my bills (though I do have my car insurance payment linked to my checking account).
It looks like customers in the U.S. have to pay a lot for mobile services!:eek: I used to have a very convenient plan before, but in January i switched to a new option, and now i pay only 600 roubles every month ($9.25), and i have 600 "free" minutes of talk with any mobile operator in North-West, and i have an unlimited(!) access to the internet (except for torrent files,- they'll be uploading slower). Plus i can go to any russian town (and Abkhazia), and i'll pay $zero for using my current options (it means, free internet anywhere in Russia and Abkhazia) and free talk with SPb mobile operators' clients. Moreover, i switched on the option "Pay whenever you wish",- it's like a virtual phone credit card with $24.5 on it. 10 yrs ago we could only dream about these kind of options. But i use the best mobile operator "Megafon North-West", and i still manage to get fooled sometimes (like subscriptions that i didn't ask for).:p