How To Budget Your Money

I finally went to the Aldi near me. I can't believe how much better the prices are. I tried the vegan veggie burger (quinoa-based). It's a little bland, but I doctored it up with buffalo sauce and pesto, and it was tasty. They cost about half what the grocery store veggie burgers cost. I will be shopping there regularly from now on. I can't believe how much stuff I got for $50.
The quinoa crunch? That is so weirdly good! If you see the mushroom risotto that's good too. The chik'n patties and nuggets take a good bit in the oven but then are really good- they do need a while of cooking, but I liked them better than Gardien 7 grain.
This week I got pomegranites for .69. You just have to wait for great sales. Their eggplant is .99 cents each. Wish I liked it more :rolleyes:

Instead of buying expensive pumpkin spice creamers and coffee try this savvy tip : Add 3/4 tsp of Pumpkin pie spice or
Mixed spice (UK) to ( 2- 3 heaped) tbs ground coffee. Add lots of usual creamer to obtain a delicious creamy spice flavoured coffee.

Reactions: PTree15
The quinoa crunch? That is so weirdly good! If you see the mushroom risotto that's good too. The chik'n patties and nuggets take a good bit in the oven but then are really good- they do need a while of cooking, but I liked them better than Gardien 7 grain.
This week I got pomegranites for .69. You just have to wait for great sales. Their eggplant is .99 cents each. Wish I liked it more :rolleyes:
Thanks for the tips. I saw the chik'n patties, and those might be next on my list. I love the Gardein 7 grain tenders, so if the Aldi patties are good, that will save a bundle. They seem to cost almost half of what Gardein costs.

Thanks for the tips. I saw the chik'n patties, and those might be next on my list. I love the Gardein 7 grain tenders, so if the Aldi patties are good, that will save a bundle. They seem to cost almost half of what Gardein costs.

I bought both the tenders and the chik n patties. I actually find the patties better than the tenders. The tenders are as good as Gardein except for the chilli and Lime ones.

However, I find the quinoa and vegetables burgers quite expensive. You could easily make your own.

I bought both the tenders and the chik n patties. I actually find the patties better than the tenders. The tenders are as good as Gardein except for the chilli and Lime ones.

However, I find the quinoa and vegetables burgers quite expensive. You could easily make your own.
Thanks, shyvas. I definitely will be making my own as well, but it's nice to have a few ready-made ones as well when I'm feeling lazy, haha. :D I'm cutting way back on groceries and whatnot. I have enough in my cupboards to make all kinds of dishes that might require just fresh or frozen veggies. I want to use up what I have and save as much as possible.

Thanks, shyvas. I definitely will be making my own as well, but it's nice to have a few ready-made ones as well when I'm feeling lazy, haha. :D I'm cutting way back on groceries and whatnot. I have enough in my cupboards to make all kinds of dishes that might require just fresh or frozen veggies. I want to use up what I have and save as much as possible.

I know what you mean by having food on hand for those lazy/no time evenings. I make a point of freezing leftover chili, cottage pie and burgers.

I know what you mean by having food on hand for those lazy/no time evenings. I make a point of freezing leftover chili, cottage pie and burgers.
Yes, my freezer always has good leftovers in it. Right now I have veggie pot pie and veggie chili, along with several small containers of pesto.

Reactions: shyvas
I have saved yet another 5% off my electricity bills by signing up to receive my bills via the internet. It pays to check the provider's site as their offers are usually listed on the latter.

I have also managed to reduce my food bill by 50 € by listing all of my receipts in an exercise book. It's far easier to spend less when you note everything down.
However, I have overspent due to buying some Christmas presents, paying the residence work in advance (I prefer to pay it in 6 easy payments) and petrol. Our petrol prices are going to soar in January so I don't know how I will budget this new expense.

I've ordered our weekly food shop with Asda this week instead of ocado & stocked up on cupboard items/tins etc because they are cheaper from there. I do feel like we've got a lot for our money. However I'll still use ocado as they have lots of vegan items that aren't available so easily elsewhere & they never substitute or miss items off. So we will see how Asda fare on that.

Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
I've ordered our weekly food shop with Asda this week instead of ocado & stocked up on cupboard items/tins etc because they are cheaper from there. I do feel like we've got a lot for our money. However I'll still use ocado as they have lots of vegan items that aren't available so easily elsewhere & they never substitute or miss items off. So we will see how Asda fare on that.

I also like Asda. They have good value tortilla wraps, bread, spices and baking stuff. What kind of vegan products are not available at Asda's ?

I like the following and have never seen it in any store :

Online Food Shopping - ASDA Groceries

On Ocado you can get things like booja booja, moo free, astonish cleaning products, dragonfly tofu, the whole frys range, vivera, neals yard skincare, good life, Clives pies & their own brand vegan options are good too :)

On Ocado you can get things like booja booja, moo free, astonish cleaning products, dragonfly tofu, the whole frys range, vivera, neals yard skincare, good life, Clives pies & their own brand vegan options are good too :)

They do seem like like the more pricy products. Pies are quite expensive to buy. Have you ever considered making your own and freezing them ?

It would seem that you can't do your weekly haul in one shop. It's the same over here and I always end up going to at least 2 or 3 places to buy groceries. Moreover, our local Lidl (where I can go by foot) has virtually no plant based food except for junk food.

What did you link shyvas? It just takes me to the Asda main page.

Yes, those are things I don't get often but like to occasionally. The only faux meat we always get every week is LM - James like the sausages for lunches. Those are quite cheap & usually on offer.

No, we definitely need top ups nearer the end of the week - mainly veg & salad things though!

What did you link shyvas? It just takes me to the Asda main page.

Yes, those are things I don't get often but like to occasionally. The only faux meat we always get every week is LM - James like the sausages for lunches. Those are quite cheap & usually on offer.

No, we definitely need top ups nearer the end of the week - mainly veg & salad things though!

That's strange as it comes up on my computer ; I got the same link off a blog :

Violife | New vegan cheese platter | The Little Blog Of Vegan It costs £ 5 at Asda.

LM have a vast choice of products and they are usually very good value. Same here, I'm always going back to Lidl's for
fruit and vegetables. During the winter months, I find that it works out far cheaper to buy frozen fuit and veg.

Our faux meat products ( we have little choice) are very expensive so I usually just make a huge batch of seitan.

Reactions: hungryraccoon
I have been absolutely useless in budgeting my money for months now.:oops: I am still thinking about moving house next year so I need to start saving up for the cost of moving and the stamp duty etc...

Payday is next week so I am setting myself a challenge to save £9,000 by the end of 2019.

I doubt I will hit that target but it's better to have an ambitious goal to strive for!:D

I've ordered our weekly food shop with Asda this week instead of ocado & stocked up on cupboard items/tins etc because they are cheaper from there. I do feel like we've got a lot for our money. .

Asda are really affordable but the only problem is that the online groceries orders often arrive with a lot of missing items and the people who pack the bags don't bother to even substitute them. Where I live anyway.:mad:

I have been absolutely useless in budgeting my money for months now.:oops: I am still thinking about moving house next year so I need to start saving up for the cost of moving and the stamp duty etc...

Payday is next week so I am setting myself a challenge to save £9,000 by the end of 2019.

I doubt I will hit that target but it's better to have an ambitious goal to strive for!:D

Asda are really affordable but the only problem is that the online groceries orders often arrive with a lot of missing items and the people who pack the bags don't bother to even substitute them. Where I live anyway.:mad:

That is a huge challenge ; £818/per month. You must be greatly motivated if you're planning to move to near Southend.
That indeed is a nice project.