How to be healthy on a budget?

Erikachatfield

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi there! I am 15 and have transitioned to a full vegan (food, clothing, makeup) etc from a vegetarian. I have been vegetarian all my life so this was easier than transitioning from an omnivorous diet.

I would like to eat extremely healthy eg. Legumes, fruits, veg (almost raw diet), however this could be challenging as açai powder and superfoods alike cost £18.99 for just 80g. Do you recommend any stores IN THE UK that have reasonable prices but good quality food? Preferably ones we can order online from and get delivered, thanks.

I can only pay around £40 for a full list of groceries weekly including things such as: Bread, hummus, tortilla wraps, veg, fruit, legumes, nutsand superfoods such as açai powder etc and if possible, coconut oil. Any recommendations would be appreciated, thank you :)

Hey Erika,

Welcome to the forums.

Honestly I find most things from my local supermarket which is Sainsbury's or Tesco and they have pretty much everything I want though I'm not exactly adventurous with my food, I went food shopping yesterday and here's what I picked up from what I remember...

• Porridge
  • Cheerios
  • Almond Milk
  • Sainsbury's free from cheese
  • Sainsbury's free from meatballs
  • Spaghetti
  • Tomato and basil pasta sauce
  • Lettuce
  • Tomatos
  • Cucumber
  • Baby spinach
  • Houmous
  • Sainsbury's seeded bread
  • Unsalted assorted nuts
  • Orange juice
  • Chips
  • Broccoli & cabbage
  • Sainsbury's free from bean burgers
  • Banana's/Apple's
I'm probably missing a few things but that came to roughly £20, obviously my list of what I pickup changes depending on what I need but I can say I generally spend around £40 a week on food... More if I order takeout though ;)

Give this a try too https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Hey Erika,

Welcome to the forums.

Honestly I find most things from my local supermarket which is Sainsbury's or Tesco and they have pretty much everything I want though I'm not exactly adventurous with my food, I went food shopping yesterday and here's what I picked up from what I remember...

• Porridge
  • Cheerios
  • Almond Milk
  • Sainsbury's free from cheese
  • Sainsbury's free from meatballs
  • Spaghetti
  • Tomato and basil pasta sauce
  • Lettuce
  • Tomatos
  • Cucumber
  • Baby spinach
  • Houmous
  • Sainsbury's seeded bread
  • Unsalted assorted nuts
  • Orange juice
  • Chips
  • Broccoli & cabbage
  • Sainsbury's free from bean burgers
  • Banana's/Apple's
I'm probably missing a few things but that came to roughly £20, obviously my list of what I pickup changes depending on what I need but I can say I generally spend around £40 a week on food... More if I order takeout though ;)

Give this a try too https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/

healthy food on a budget? That's an easy one!

any food processing increases it's cost, increases profits, but can only ever decrease quality.
If you buy the raw materials (veg, fruit, whole grains...) you will be buying the healthiest & the cheapest. Simples.

I am a vegan who is currently going through a tough time financially. My sister and I both love shopping at Sprouts. Although we don't have much money, we don't have a problem going on completely vegan grocery hauls with Sprouts.

Reactions: Grayveggie and Damo
I just got an alert that peanut butter is going up in price. So you might want to put it on your grocery list now and not wait for the price increase.

At the end of the article they had a link to another article on how to save money at the grocery store.

I know and do most of these things already but I thought some of you might like this

switching should be trivially easy i basically ate a basically carnivorous diet,
and managed to transition under a week..
[also cooking for yourself is healthier/cheaper anyway]

Last edited: