How should I have this conversation with my parents?

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello 👋,
As you may know from my other posts and profile, I’m an animal rights person. I’m semi-vegan.
Anyhow, I’m against captivity for wild animals, including dolphins and whales, the exception being sanctuaries and rescues. However, my family would like to go to Florida next year. We’ve been before. They probably won’t go to SeaWorld again, but they would like to go to Discovery Cove. However, I think it’s wrong. Some of the dolphins were likely caught in the wild. They are exploited and kept in tanks much, much smaller than the space they would have in the wild. They are, maybe, forced to swim with humans and disrespected by being trained to do unnatural tricks for entertainment, for profit.
My mum thinks that it’s okay, as not all of the dolphins would have been taken from the wild and the dolphins like to play. My mum also has said about that the animals in zoos wouldn’t survive in the wild. However, I still think it’s wrong to keep them captive and exploit them for our sake. If they can’t survive in the wild, maybe it would be better for them to be in sanctuaries or for the zoos to switch over and become sanctuaries, and exist primarily for animal rescue, the animals’ wellbeing and conservation, and prioritise human health and safety as equal to the animals, rather than existing for profit...
Back to Discovery Cove, I would like to dissuade them from going, but I’m concerned they’ll get upset and I’ll get upset. What should I do?

I answered this in your previous post about Discovery Cove...

Emma JC

Hello 👋,

My mum thinks that it’s okay, as not all of the dolphins would have been taken from the wild and the dolphins like to play. My mum also has said about that the animals in zoos wouldn’t survive in the wild. However, I still think it’s wrong to keep them captive and exploit them for our sake. If they can’t survive in the wild, maybe it would be better for them to be in sanctuaries or for the zoos to switch over and become sanctuaries, and exist primarily for animal rescue, the animals’ wellbeing and conservation, and prioritise human health and safety as equal to the animals, rather than existing for profit...
Back to Discovery Cove, I would like to dissuade them from going, but I’m concerned they’ll get upset and I’ll get upset. What should I do?

Regardless of both your parents and you being upset; it's the dolphins who are on top of the list of being upset.