Nutrition & Diet How Much Does How You LOOK Matter?

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
this is a topic that i feel is pretty intense in our culture. many people associate "health" with "good looks." healthy means "thin." but i really don't think this is necessarily the case at all.

aside from the health angle, when it comes to being vegan, how much does how i look really matter? i know many people of vegan for health (and, yes, weight loss)…but do the animals really care?

just thought i'd see what y'all thought. recently did a vid on this cause there is SO much out there about wanting "thigh gaps" and that kind of crazy stuff…

Reactions: ledboots
No, the animals don't care how you look, but unfortuntely other humans still do.

I think the cosmetic industry plays a big roll in this disfunction.
absolutely, bean counter :) i happen to think once you are vegan you automatically get sexier ;) but in all seriousness, there is an excessive focus on looks for sure...

Reactions: ledboots
I think the cosmetic industry plays a big roll in this disfunction.

I'm sure it plays a role, but trying to change how you look (even when it was damaging and uncomfortable) to appear fashionable/attractive has been going on way longer than the cosmetic industry. Corsets, hair removal, foot binding, make-up, hair removal... etc.

It definitely annoys me that how you look and being healthier are often synonymous in the media/for some people, and how healthy and weight loss are also considered to be the same thing. :rolleyes: I think once you start noticing it, you can't stop, because it's everywhere. It gives people a smoke screen to disguise judging people for their weight/eating habits/lifestyle too. People will criticise others weight under the guise of criticising or discussing (or being worried about) their health.

I think it's a shame that people sometimes try to expand the definition of vegan particularly (but also vegetarian to some extent) to cover things not related to not eating and using animals. I.e. raw food, eating healthy food, and weight loss. You can be an overweight, junk-food loving vegan.

I'm sure it plays a role, but trying to change how you look (even when it was damaging and uncomfortable) to appear fashionable/attractive has been going on way longer than the cosmetic industry. Corsets, hair removal, foot binding, make-up, hair removal... etc.

It definitely annoys me that how you look and being healthier are often synonymous in the media/for some people, and how healthy and weight loss are also considered to be the same thing. :rolleyes: I think once you start noticing it, you can't stop, because it's everywhere. It gives people a smoke screen to disguise judging people for their weight/eating habits/lifestyle too. People will criticise others weight under the guise of criticising or discussing (or being worried about) their health.

I think it's a shame that people sometimes try to expand the definition of vegan particularly (but also vegetarian to some extent) to cover things not related to not eating and using animals. I.e. raw food, eating healthy food, and weight loss. You can be an overweight, junk-food loving vegan.

absolutely! oreos are vegan, for god's sake…junk food veganism is totally achievable :) and the animals are no less saved than by "healthy" veganism. personally i don't care what kind of vegan food you eat or how you look…the animals and environment are still going to benefit :)

Reactions: Amy SF
I have a thigh gap.So what,that doesn't mean I'm sexier or prettier or healthier than any body else.Thin does not mean healthy.Unfortunately,that's how society thinks your sexy now days,I guess.

As for the perception about vegans expected to be thin I don't think I've necessarily seen that but I do think some people expect you to be some kind of fitness nut.Exercising all the time and running marathons and whatnot.While I think some exercise is good on a daily basis,I'm really not into getting up at 5:00am to do so or running marathons.Just because I care about what goes into my body doesn't mean I want to be an olympic athlete.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
this is a topic that i feel is pretty intense in our culture. many people associate "health" with "good looks." healthy means "thin." but i really don't think this is necessarily the case at all.

aside from the health angle, when it comes to being vegan, how much does how i look really matter? i know many people of vegan for health (and, yes, weight loss)…but do the animals really care?

just thought i'd see what y'all thought. recently did a vid on this cause there is SO much out there about wanting "thigh gaps" and that kind of crazy stuff…
I loved your video!! :)

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
I haven't had a thigh gap since adolescence, and considering how much I like to bake (and eat what I bake), I doubt I'll ever see one again in this lifetime.

At 5'2 and 20-25lbs overweight I'm a bit pudgy, so some people are surprised to find out I'm a vegan. The rest though are too busy telling me how they barely eat any meat, and making excuses for what they do eat, to notice my weight.

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
I haven't had a thigh gap since adolescence, and considering how much I like to bake (and eat what I bake), I doubt I'll ever see one again in this lifetime.

At 5'2 and 20-25lbs overweight I'm a bit pudgy, so some people are surprised to find out I'm a vegan. The rest though are too busy telling me how they barely eat any meat, and making excuses for what they do eat, to notice my weight.
ha! so true. and bake away, vegan baker! :)