How did you transition?

How did you transition to veganism?

• cold turkey

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • gradually

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Recently though, after finding out that I'm anemic and that my body has low levels of vitamin B-12, I now eat eggs and fish occasionally; about once or twice a month.

Believe me, Ger, there is no need to forsake veganism because of anaemia or low B12.

There are tons and tons of iron in many, many greens but especially in beetroot. A simple google should lead you to a variety of produce that would best suit your palate.

The best natural source of B12 is probably yeast extract. If you don’t have a taste for Marmite (I love it on toast) then you should be able to rely on additives in plant milks.

And if you are still concerned then you could guarantee sufficient intake from mineral and vitamin supplements.

The great thing about any supposed B12 deficiency is that you simply cannot cause yourself any harm even by overdosing to ridiculous extremes.

Roger.

Reactions: Lou
Why not just take a multivitamin?
I don't really, to be honest, know much about vitamins and how to cure a deficiency, at all... But I just recently watched a video, I think it was this one from Unnatural Vegan, where she talks about iron deficiency and B12 absorbtion problems.
She said that once you have been diagnosed with a iron deficiency, you have to go to the doctor, who will prescribe iron pills.. you gotta drink those down with orage juice (cause C-vitamin helps with the absorbtion). And after two weeks of taking that, you can return to taking multi.
But when treating a deficiency, you gotta take something stronger than just a multi.
To me, that sounds right, but I don't really know.

She also said that returning to animal products, to treat a deficiency, can be even harmful. But, I think she also said something like absorbtion problems being an exeption, for some reason that I can't remember...
If vitamin pills and balanced vegan diet doesn't work, then I don't know what... But animal products (usually) isn't a magical cure, I think returning to animal products has more like a placebo effect, than anything else.
Or I'm wrong, I dunno.

These deficiency thingys are making me paranoid... Maybe I should get a blood work done as well, before something serious happens. My diet is far from perfect.... Also, I haven't taken a multi, because I have difficulties swallowing pills and all the vegan multi vitamins are huge.
I have B12 pills that I take regularly. Those dissolve on my tongue, so isn't a problem.
Fortified plantmilk has calcium, D and B12, so that's good. During autumn and winter I take D-vitamin that is chewable.
With omega-3's I still rely on eating some ground flaxseeds every day... But, like you said in your omega-3 thread, it would a good idea to supplement... I just haven't found omega-3 tablets that I could get down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lou
I have been doing that for years, but I guess my body just doesn't absorb iron and vitamin B-12 that well.

B12 is kind of tricky. Dr. Gregar has a good video on it. If you can't find it yourself then ask me and I'll find it and include a link.

But the gist of it is that our bodies can only absorb around 30% of the RDA at one time (like in one meal). Then the "receptors get clogged". After the receptors get clogged the body can only absorb B12 at a 1% efficiency. so you need to take 10000% * of the RDA for good /full absorption. That does sound like a lot but there are affordable pills exactly that size.

(forum members - please correct me if I made any mistakes. I didn't cross check these facts)

Or you can just take at least 30% three times a day. This is what I have chosen to do. Since my plant milk contains about 50% I take 2 glasses a day. that leaves me a little shy so I take a multi too.

Iron is also a little tricky. I have always tested borderline anemic so I think there is something to the idea that some of us just aren't that good at absorbing iron. And even if your food contains 100% of the RDA, non-heme iron just isn't as absorbable. And to make it even worse, some of the foods we eat interfere with iron absorption. I'm pretty sure caffeine interferes with iron absorption. And vitamin C promotes absorption. On the other hand, a lot of vegan food has iron.

My multi contains 100% of the RDA of B12. And 30% of iron. I tried a multi with 50% iron but my poops became rock hard - which indicates that my body is excreting iron. So I went back to 30%. Iron in large quantities is toxic. but our bodies can excrete excess iron. but the brick-like poops are uncomfortable. ?

* not sure that is the right number of zeros.

Maybe I should get a blood work done as well, before something serious happens. ....
Also, I haven't taken a multi, because I have difficulties swallowing pills and all the vegan multi vitamins are huge.

Even non-vegans should get blood work once a year. Kind of like checking the levels of your fuel tanks.

I still am fuzzy on the science of Omegas. But more and more I'm convinced that just 1 - 2 tbsp of ground flax seed is all you need. I don't include flax seed in everything. so I also take a supplement, too.

as far as multis go - the ones I take are " DEVA -- Vegan Multivitamin & Mineral Supplement Tiny Tablets "
And they are really tiny. Imagine a pill half the size of an M&M. Diameter is about 0.5 cm.
You can get them with or without Iron.
And they are cheap too. about 5¢ a day.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.07.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.07.13 PM.png
    844.2 KB · Views: 3
Even non-vegans should get blood work once a year. Kind of like checking the levels of your fuel tanks.

I still am fuzzy on the science of Omegas. But more and more I'm convinced that just 1 - 2 tbsp of ground flax seed is all you need. I don't include flax seed in everything. so I also take a supplement, too.

as far as multis go - the ones I take are " DEVA -- Vegan Multivitamin & Mineral Supplement Tiny Tablets "
And they are really tiny. Imagine a pill half the size of an M&M. Diameter is about 0.5 cm.
You can get them with or without Iron.
And they are cheap too. about 5¢ a day.
Thanks for the info. :) I have also searched chewable multis... And there are some that are suitable for vegans (doesn't contain lactose or gelatin and the D3 is lichen colecalsiferol), probably getting those, to preserve my sanity. The multi is called Veg1 and tastes like orange. It also has iodine 150 micrograms, 75 micrograms more than DEVA, I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

...So I'm gonna literally eat lichen.. Like a reindeer...
After that experience, I'll definitely level up to Vegan 1.03.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitamin D and Iodine are both kind of controversial supplements. Ten years ago I did a bit of research on Vitamin D. I had a doctor who believed that we all needed massive dosages of D. Ten years ago I switched doctors and the new guy didn't think so. Studies show that a significant portion of the population is vitamin D deficient. And not just vegans. If I remember right D3 is better than D2. but its a lot harder to find. Especially vegan versions. So score one for Veg 1.

Plant milks generally have between 30 and 50% of the RDA of Vitamin D. And it is D2.

Iodine is even trickier. Here in America, almost all the salt you buy in stores is iodized. I use some salt in my recipes and my oatmeal. If you buy a prepared meal it is going to have a lot of salt in it. but it probably isn't iodized.
Most whole foods contain iodine. But the Nutrition info doesn't even include iodine because it is so variable. For veggies, it depends a lot on where it was grown. And iodine is very important. So including some in your supplement is a good idea. So score another point for VEG 1.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Vitamin D and Iodine are both kind of controversial supplements. Ten years ago I did a bit of research on Vitamin D. I had a doctor who believed that we all needed massive dosages of D. Ten years ago I switched doctors and the new guy didn't think so. Studies show that a significant portion of the population is vitamin D deficient. And not just vegans. If I remember right D3 is better than D2. but its a lot harder to find. Especially vegan versions. So score one for Veg 1.

Plant milks generally have between 30 and 50% of the RDA of Vitamin D. And it is D2.

Iodine is even trickier. Here in America, almost all the salt you buy in stores is iodized. I use some salt in my recipes and my oatmeal. If you buy a prepared meal it is going to have a lot of salt in it. but it probably isn't iodized.
Most whole foods contain iodine. But the Nutrition info doesn't even include iodine because it is so variable. For veggies, it depends a lot on where it was grown. And iodine is very important. So including some in your supplement is a good idea. So score another point for VEG 1.

Wow.
That's awesome.
Thank you. :)

When I was pregnant with twins I was severely anemic and my doctors told me to eat dried apricots. They are extremely high in iron. It was like a night and day difference after I started eating them...

Every other month or so I give blood and almost always almost fail the iron test. I was also advised to eat dried apricots so I now buy a bag the week before the appt. They do have a lot of iron - but also a lot of calories. but I don't look too hard at the nutritional analysis. I love them and am more than happy to have a good excuse to eat them.

Reactions: Emma JC
I recall I had originally tried going plant based after joining a plant based group on Facebook. I was completely plant based for about 3 months, but then I slipped up while visiting family and went back to meat and dairy. Physically I could feel the difference and I felt horrible, so after a month I went back to a plant based diet again and have been plant based ever since (almost 2 years now). There was a lot I didn't realize at the time, and I didn't know that a lot of things weren't vegan (like shampoos and such until a little later), so in a way, diet-wise I went cold turkey, but it took a bit longer for me to transition my entire lifestyle. So I guess I have been a work in progress, and although it hasn't been easy with family pressure, I have stayed strong this long and I no longer crave dairy or meats and I know there is no turning back for me. I see things completely differently than how I was raised, which is a huge difference since I was raised hunting, fishing, with farm animals and lots of dairy (Wisconsin girl), so I guess I am a very different person now than I was before.

Reactions: Sax and Emma JC