How can i check if a item is vegan?

ski

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
it seems like i have to google every item i buy and search for to see if someone has already asked it online or end up emailing the company which takes time is there a programm or app that does this

I read the ingredients. It only takes a few seconds and it's good to be aware of what you're putting in your body, even if it's vegan. The allergy information just underneath the ingredients is a quick way to find out if the product contains dairy or eggs. Other animal based ingredients like gelatin will only be found by reading the ingredients list.

Reactions: Lou
Reading the label is a very good idea. Sax mentioned the allergy info which is a good double check. But I'm not sure that info is totally relevant. I think the key word in that "warning" is "may". I think "may" is just a way the company covers their a$$. Like if they have a plant that processes nuts or dairy or something in the same room, there is a chance that the product could be contaminated with something. but I wouldn't call that non-vegan. just a risk if you are highly allergic to something.

There are also some keywords you have to look for. I still can't remember which red dye is made from beetles. And I think gelatin and lecithin are sometimes vegan and sometimes not. So that doesn't always work for me, either.

Dairy can be listed as any number of things but most of them are obvious. Although when I first became vegan I didn't know what whey was.

there are some pretty good apps that can help you if you are in doubt. The one on my phone is called "IsItVegan?" I know there are a few others. With IsItVegan you just use the phone's camera to scan the barcode. But it's not foolproof either.

There are also apps that can tell you if a product is cruelty-free. "Bunny-Free" is the one on my phone. And I know that there are others. I think PETA, CrueltyFreeKitty, and LeapingBunny all have searchable databases.

Sax mentioned the allergy info which is a good double check. But I'm not sure that info is totally relevant. I think the key word in that "warning" is "may". I think "may" is just a way the company covers their a$$.

I've found the allergy information usually has a line "Contains:" and then sometimes another line that says "May contain" or "Processed in a facility that also processes".

If the "Contains" line has milk or eggs you don't have to bother reading the full ingredients so it can save a little time.

Reactions: Lou
I've found the allergy information usually has a line "Contains:" and then sometimes another line that says "May contain" or "Processed in a facility that also processes".

If the "Contains" line has milk or eggs you don't have to bother reading the full ingredients so it can save a little time.

Yes. I agree. Just trying to be accurate and not be confusing. thanks

Where I live in the US the labels don't have eggs under the allergy warning. I have to read the entire label. Other things like honey and gelatin also won't show up. The gelatin is never vegan.

There is a vegan version of gelatin called agar. but i think its called agar on the ingredients label. and also if the manufacturer went to the trouble of using agar he would label the product vegan. This happens with some vegan "gelatin" capsules, vegan marshmallows, and vegan candy

Reactions: Sax
One of the best ways to know that the food you are eating is vegan is to eat as many 'whole foods' as possible. There are full aisles of groceries in the fruit and vegetable departments. Rice, whole grain pastas, plant milks, canned beans and tomatoes etc. There are many unhealthy vegans because they eat mostly processed foods and only processed foods have labels....

Emma JC

Reactions: Sax and Lou