Homemade vegan mayo-help!

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I've made vegan mayo quite a few times using this formula:
1 cup oil
1/2 cup soymilk
1 tsp. vinegar

I believe I've just poured it all in the processor and whirred together without mishap, but this time, nothing happened! It didn't thicken in the least!
The only thing I feel I did differently is add powdered mustard like a 1/2 tsp., and the soymilk was slightly sweetened.

Should I try again and add things in a drizzle? Can this mixture be good for anything besides hair conditioner?

I guess it is! :oops:

Anyway, I used a good bit in a basil walnut pesto! Slathered some on my legs and arms-Its all good :D

I just made it. I used apple cider vinegar and added a dash of salt, onion, garlic, paprika, cumin and mustard. It is just a touch runny, but very good. I will do this more often.

Let me chime in with the very best creamy vegan mayo (mayonnaise) recipe I have encountered so far - have made it myself a number of times, and it's awesome.

Not my own recipe, but a recipe from a German site that my son found on the internet. Unfortunately I could not find it again, I only have it saved as word document on my PC. Otherwise, I would of course give due credit to the original inventor!

Ingredients:

250 ml soymilk
200 ml vegetable oil (original suggestion: soy oil, I normally use sunflower)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar (I typically use vinegar)
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of pear syrup (honestly, I think you can leave that one out)
1 small boiled potato (this is the game changer :D)
optional: 1 clove of garlic (but I definitely suggest to add this)

Blend the soymilk with 100 ml of the oil for about one minute on high setting in your food processor.
Slowly add the remainder of oil while the blender is still running on medium/low setting. Add the remaining ingredients and blend together. The starch of the potato is very important to create the creamy consistency.

Add a clove of garlic for stronger taste (I definitely suggest that!). Cool in the fridge for about 2 hours.

The pear syrup is the one thing that I think you can omit, or possibly replace with something else (e.g. agave/maple syrup?).
You can make it yourself by putting a pear into a small saucepan with some suger and water and let it simmer at medium temperature for a while.

This is better than any of the commercially available mayo I have tasted so far (my personal favourite among commercially available mayo: Plamill). However, as Just Mayo is not available here, I can not compare it.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited: