Vegan Homemade fresh pasta

Ditas Veg

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Yesterday I found at last! the ideal recipe for fresh pasta. To this day I was using plain white flour, but now I've tried durum wheat semolina, the finest grind. Here in Spain people use it for baby food.
It is so easy as mixing a cup of semolina with a quarter of a teaspoon of salt. I added half a teaspoon of paprika for taste and color. Then you add warm water till you get a firm dough, not at all wet.
You knead this dough for 15 minutes or so...Well in fact I dumped it into my breadmaker, dough cycle...I figure another type of machine could be used.
When it is smooth and elastic you let it rest for half an hour, 20 minutes must be enough. Then you make your noodles or lasagna sheets or whatever...This time I didn't use a pasta maker, I made it manually, quite grossly to tell the truth. I just rolled it as thin as I could and used a knife to make fettuccini. Very good results, I will always used semolina.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I know these noodles are too thick...But next time I will roll our dough thinner...

Last edited:
I made pasta with semolina flour...works great! Yours looks a lot better than mine. :)

Actually...I think I'm going to make it always manually. I own two pasta machines but it seems much faster this way. Only...as I said it was too thin and it boiled longer than needed for normal fresh pasta.

Of course...too thick. I apologise.:(
No worries, I'm sure we all got what you meant!

My wife comments from over in the sofa that she made pasta from scratch once and "never again". I guess that means it's not necessarily the easiest thing in the world, but your recipe nevertheless makes it sound feasible.

But...Indian Summer, that is exactly what happened to me before trying it this way. I own not one, but two pasta machines and yes, it's fun to see the noodles popping out of these holes or "rims", but what a mess! I have very little space in my kitchen and using those machines only adds more stress. Plus, then you have to un dismantle them, clean them, they are not washable but just "dry-brushable"...And on top of that of course since you are using a machine you make a big batch...and end up manually rotating eternally! No, no, never again...always with semolina, manually and in small batches!

But...Indian Summer, that is exactly what happened to me before trying it this way. I own not one, but two pasta machines and yes, it's fun to see the noodles popping out of these holes or "rims", but what a mess! I have very little space in my kitchen and using those machines only adds more stress. Plus, then you have to un dismantle them, clean them, they are not washable but just "dry-brushable"...And on top of that of course since you are using a machine you make a big batch...and end up manually rotating eternally! No, no, never again...always with semolina, manually and in small batches!
Yes, I can imagine it's a lot of work with the machines, including cleaning them afterwards. I agree that your more manual method sounds much better overall.

I do not seem to be able to make it thin...Just made pasta again, it is now drying in this colander...View attachment 6719
How does it taste, though? I'm curious if I would prefer it this way :)

I love my pasta maker and find it much easier than manually making pasta. To each their own, I guess.:shrug:

I sure want to make pasta now! I have a pasta roller I got from a thrift store, but have only used it for crackers-which it does very well. I'd like to make a thicker homemade pasta, something more spaetzle like--do you think this is a dough you could grate?

Reactions: MadamSarcastra