Hmmm...RSPCA

CondorMr

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have been looking at the RSPCA's Australian website and was somewhat underwhelmed on their information on animal slaughter, which they called killing animals for food. They describe humane euthanasia for distressed birds I think in one case.

I am sure that this is not news to a lot of you, but I was shocked at how tame their language was. It actually read like I would imagine a livestock organisations website would.

I then found more info....or another site. This seems to be branding by the RSPCA....to use their label for animal production and slaughter. Its geared to the industry that causes the most harm to animals. After watching Seaspiracy I am thinking that this is along the same lines....pay a fee, attach a label to your product, and the consumer thinks they are choosing something they are not.

Damn.

Am I missing something here?

Damn.

Am I missing something here?
No actual real knowledge, I'm not from Australia.
However we have an organization here in the US, United States Humane Society (USHS). It is also sort of weak. We also have the ASPCA (A is for American)

I first started questioning them when here in California they were on the opposite side of PETA in passing a referendum.

as a charity they are ranked sort of low on the scale or score card that is used to measure the effectiveness of charities. (you might look into that in Australia).

keep in mind that organizations like the SPCAs and HSUS are more on the animal welfare wagon. While PETA and other animal activists groups are on the abolitionist wagon.

another thing, SPCAs were founded to protect domestic animals from cruelty. So they DO have a different kind of mandate.

Thanks for the reply Lou. When reading their site, I did consider the SPCA side of things, but they did have quite a lot of information on livestock. In Australia at least, I got the impression that they were actively working with the livestock industry as they had many articles on their site, and internet searches brought up links to many areas where they were liaising with government and industry.

In Australia the RSPCA is well known and respected by Joe public. At my local shopping mall they have a site selling food and have dogs , cats and other small animals for adoption. So it's an well known and most likely the first organisation we would think for for animal welfare.

Lastly, their offshoot site is geared entirely to livestock, not domestic animals.

I'll have to try find a charity effectiveness measure.

Thanks.