Hi! I’m Tara! Looking to go vegan

Hello good luck with looking to go vegan - I hope it will be a step in the right direction with this issue

I am about 120 lbs overweight and I’m eating everything in sight! Does anybody think that if I went vegan that would help with that issue? It’s been a problem for a real long time.
It might.
However, vegan isn't supposed to be a weight loss diet. It's supposed to be an ethical choice.
It's actually possible to go vegan and Not lose weight.
And there are probably other easier ways to lose weight too.

On the other hand I'm not going to try and convince you not to try going vegan.

Dr. Fuhrman, in his book Eat To Live, not only discuses using a plant based diet to lose weight, he even provides a plant based weight loss meal plan.

I suggest a trip to the library and checking out the book. Read at least a few chapters before you even start the meal plan. Then see if you can do the meal plan.

Eat To Live was the first Plant Based Diet book I ever read and I did the meal plan. And I do recommend it. It's one of the safest and most idiot proof diets you can find.

Quick word of warning. It took you a long time to gain all that weight. So expect and plan on taking a long time in losing the weight. I'm told that the highest safe weight loss rate is about 2 pounds a week. You might be able to lose weight faster at the start. But don't get disappointed when you can't lose weight really fast.

You might also try a Keto diet for a few weeks or months. It's not a safe long term diet but it does give fast results. It's also not very compatible with plant based eating. But it might give you a good head start.

If you do Fuhrman's plan and do lose weight - you might try another plan - just for variety sake.
People tell me Dr. Gregor's How Not To Diet is a great plan. I also can personally recommend the Vegan Kickstart from PCRM.

If you do Fuhrman's plan and do lose weight - you might try another plan - just for variety sake.
People tell me Dr. Gregor's How Not To Diet is a great plan. I also can personally recommend the Vegan Kickstart from PCRM.
Dr Gregers daily dozen way of eating is the best way to normalize weight, as it is the recommended servings from catagories of whole plant foods with no oils or sugar. It guarrentees a days nutrition, and as written between 1200 and 1400 calories.. You eat added servings as needed.
The book How Not to DIet does is really all about our physiology, genetics, and evolution in regards to eating and exercise. It is a fascinating book. It does add tweaks that help in weight loss, but is more about the science of nutrition

If you stick to eating whole plant foods you'll be on the path to weight loss. Plants are nutritent dense and calorie light
1696892198864.png

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Saying vegan diet doesn't imply health, just the avoidance of animal products.
Eating wfpb has given many people great health benefits, and really easier the more you restrict yourself to those foods.\
Sweets come from whole fruits, dates in particular.
You should be able to find books from the library, quite possibily the audio versions online, esp of
How Not to Die as well as How Not to Diet by Dr Greger

Reactions: Lou
Oh, but don't let 100% compliance scare you away--if you find you need to start with like 2 meals a day where you comply and then allow some slack at dinner it will be beneficial

I really love Dr Greger, Julianna Hever, Brenda Davis, Dr Furhman, Dr Neal Barnard, any PCRM....
Don't fall for the documentaries with extremes like eating an egg is like smoking a pack of cigarettes either! There is plenty of science that is far more accessible, and why the first person I recommend is Dr Greger. He will always state the best of the best but also remind you that doing better is still better.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Everyone is different but for me Meal Plans are the way to go.
Even now I like to keep to one.
It makes shopping easier. I have less food waste and I spend less on food, too.

A good professionally developed meal plan takes all the guess work out of it.

oh, and here is something to read till you get to the library.

welcome Tara

I had tried to go vegan for a long time and struggled with it. I also wanted to lose weight.

I was so thrilled when I heard Dr McDougall on a radio show back in 2016 where he was talking about a starch based diet for health. I was all in immediately and haven't looked back. To be told that I could eat all the potatoes, pasta, rice, veggies, beans, fruits etc that I wanted was amazing news.

I lost about 20% of my body weight and have kept it off with very little exercise (read couch potato).

I love reading the success stories on Dr McDougall's website - maybe it would be helpful for you also.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I am about 120 lbs overweight and I’m eating everything in sight! Does anybody think that if I went vegan that would help with that issue? It’s been a problem for a real long time.
Hello. If you had a vegan something with salad vegetables each day you would soon lose weight.
I need the same sort of thing but not for exactly the same reason.
I am looking forward to a gym membership in january to make use of a rowing machine. That is good for the whole bodv

Hello. If you had a vegan something with salad vegetables each day you would soon lose weight.
I need the same sort of thing but not for exactly the same reason.

In Eat To Live, Dr. Fuhrman waxes eloquently of the advantages on The Big Salad. Also many other vegan proponents promotes salad as a good vegan meal and a good weight loss technique.

I think I may have misremembered that. Now I don't think Fuhrman ever used the phrase "the big salad". That was Elaine in Seinfeld.

I am looking forward to a gym membership in january to make use of a rowing machine. That is good for the whole bodv
Yes, rowing machines are great. But don't wait till January to start exercising. Plenty of stuff you can do without a gym membership.
Walking 30 minutes a day is accessible to everyone.
The OP said in another post she does water aerobics.

Reactions: PTree15