Help

Kaf2

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey so one of my new friends is vegan and I’d just like a bit of help figuring out the best products to use for substitutes in things like baking! I’m a huge baker and just wanna make sure I’m accommodating etc any tips would be mega helpful xoxo

You mean like baking cookies and cakes? Some good subs for eggs in baked goods are Flax "eggs" (1/4 cup water heated with 2 tbs flax meal added, stirring every few minutes = 1 egg), apple sauce or oil. For any milk you would just use plant milks, like soy or almond. If your friend is in the UK, you don't have to worry about the sugar, but in the US, it is often filtered with bone char. So no need to worry on that one. Cocoa baking powders are vegan, but be careful with dark-chocolate chips, many of them now have whey powder in them.

I guess I need more info on what sorts of things you will be baking...

Reactions: Sax and Lou
Living in England so won’t need to worry about sugar thank you so much! Was thinking of baking things like brownies and cookies, I’ve seen loads of vegan recipes but they’re quite expensive tbh I’ve heard mashed banana is a goid substitute not sure if anyone’s tried it

I have heard about bananas as well, but not tried them. I am curious as to why the recipes seem expensive (unless they are gourmet or something...) We are talking flour, sugar, oil, water and "egg" and sometimes milk. Plus stuff like cocoa. From what I understand, Sainsbury has a lot of very affordable vegan items, and might even have some vegan choco chips (or just buy a bar of dark chocolate (read the ingredients first of course) and break them up).

Reactions: Kaf2