CA Help? Yeast and gluten diet restrictions

• Thread starter Deleted member 8885
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8885

Hello! I am new here but I am looking to transition to a vegetarian or vegan diet. I have some concerns with my ability to eat balanced without too much difficulty when I am allergic to yeast and now am in the process of being tested for celiac disease, but at least at this point can say I likely have a severe intolerance to gluten.

I worry that these issue will make it very hard for me but would still like to try. I understand nutritional yeast to be the ideal sorce of B12 for vegans and my brother who is vegan eats a lot of both yeast and wheat.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated. I just don't want to end up not getting fully rounded nutrition. Thanks so much! Hoping you are all happy, healthy and well!

You shouldn't have a problem.

There are plenty of other sources of B12 Besides nutritional yeast. there are lots of fortified foods and drinks. There are also plenty of inexpensive supplements. We still have an active thread (or 2) about B12. You can check it out for recommendations.

and as you already know there are plenty of gluten-free products on the market. Check out Food For Life for some gluten-free yeast-free choices.

A good healthy diet should not rely too much on grains. One to three servings a day. you can get two right off with a serving of oatmeal for breakfast and a serving of rice with dinner.

Reactions: David3 and Emma JC
Honestly nutritional yeast tastes so much better non fortified- IMO, but I often hear that. I just got Anthonys non fortified nooch and it's my favorite yet
It is gluten free
I highly recommend you just take a sublingual B12. You need a small amount if gotten daily, but the amount is much higher the longer apart you consume it, so unless you have a very steady diet of B12, you could end up lacking

So many things vegan are also gluten free now I'm often asked why I'm eating wheat if I'm vegan!
There is even a PDF cookbook by Chef Skye on gluten free faux meats--he's know for his book on seitan!

There are a lot of gluten free vegans out there with blogs
This is one of my favorites--

Hello! I am new here but I am looking to transition to a vegetarian or vegan diet. I have some concerns with my ability to eat balanced without too much difficulty when I am allergic to yeast and now am in the process of being tested for celiac disease, but at least at this point can say I likely have a severe intolerance to gluten.

I worry that these issue will make it very hard for me but would still like to try. I understand nutritional yeast to be the ideal sorce of B12 for vegans and my brother who is vegan eats a lot of both yeast and wheat.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated. I just don't want to end up not getting fully rounded nutrition. Thanks so much! Hoping you are all happy, healthy and well!

Hi Wario,

There is no need to eat yeast or gluten on a vegetarian/vegan diet.

Yeast actually isn't a reliable source of vitamin B12 (unless it has been fortified with vitamin B12). A cheap and convenient way to get vitamin B12 is with a supplement. Amazon sells several brands of these, including this one: Nature's Bounty Vitamin B12 Supplement, Supports Energy Metabolism, 2500mcg, 120 Microtablets: Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care .One of those 2500 microgram tablets per week is sufficient, unless you have a medical condition that interferes with B12 absorption. The bottle contains a 2+ year supply for only 15 CND.

Rice, oatmeal, and corn are popular and affordable, and they are available in different forms: pasta, flatbread, tortillas, and (yeast-free) bread. Lesser known gluten-free grains include millet, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, and teff. Quinoa is sold almost everywhere. Millet should be available at your local Asian market. Amaranth is usually only sold at specialty stores.

Here is a simple, straightforward vegan food guide: The Vegan for Life Food Guide

Rice-centered recipes can be found on Asian cooking websites. Corn-centered recipes can be found on websites that feature First Nation (Native American) cookery and Southern United States cookery. Oatmeal can be served at any meal - not just for breakfast!

Recipes don't have to complicated! A bowl of beans and rice with salsa, with a colorful salad. Or lentil soup with kale mixed in. Whole grain pasta with mashed tofu and spicy sauce mixed in, and with raw carrots on the side.

Beans and legumes are important for vegan nutrition. Beans are easy to cook from scratch, though the required cooking time can be 2 to 3 hours (unless you have a pressure cooker). Lentils (a smaller type of bean) are much faster to cook - 30 minutes or so. Tofu (made from soybeans) comes already cooked - you can eat it cold, fry it, or mash and add to an existing dish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou