Help me ve*anize this recipe

SuicideBlonde

Adorkable rockstar!
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Self explanatory. Find a recipe that you want to make veg*an and ask for advice.

My thread, I will go first.

I had a thought of pure salt decadence. I want pretzel covered fried pickles with a mustard dip. I can replace the mayo for veganase, but the eggs, no idea.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pretzel-crusted-pickle-chips-with-mustard-sauce-recipe/index.html
Ingredients
For the Sauce:

1 1/4-inch-thick slice red onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
11/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Kosher salt

For the Chips:

Vegetable oil, for frying
6 large dill pickles, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
2 cups salted mini pretzels
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Celery salt, for sprinkling (optional)

To replace the eggs, take some soymilk and mix it with lemon juice/vinegar. The lemon juice will cause the soymilk to curdle, which will thicken it and make the breading stick to the pickle.

To replace the eggs, take some soymilk and mix it with lemon juice/vinegar. The lemon juice will cause the soymilk to curdle, which will thicken it and make the breading stick to the pickle.

:yes: This and whisk in a couple teaspoons corn starch, or you could add flax egg ( 1TBS ground flax to 3 TBS hot water).

Let us know how it goes. Sounds delicious!

:yes: This and whisk in a couple teaspoons corn starch, or you could add flax egg ( 1TBS ground flax to 3 TBS hot water).

Let us know how it goes. Sounds delicious!

Cornstarch works great...I use it all the time in place of egg when I want to coat something with breadcrumbs. I never tried it with lemon juice...I just mix cornstarch in a bit of water. I don't make it too thick...just enough so it will hold the crumbs. I will try using lemon juice next time.