Health Benefits of Eating Banana PEELS!

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
did you know there are benefits to eating the peels of bananas? i give you a run down of the health benefits and show you the weird way i eat bananas. from antioxidant power to weight loss to eyesight, eating banana peels can give you the boost you need.

Featured videos:
The Veganizer!: VEGAN SUPERHERO! Punching Meat-Eaters and Traumatizing Children - YouTube
What I Eat In A Day As A Raw Vegan: What I Eat In A Day As A Raw Vegan | 10lbs of Lettuce?! - YouTube
How to Get Thin, Fit, and Toned in Four Easy Steps!: How to Get Thin, Fit, and Toned in Four Easy Steps! - YouTube

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Claiming that "studies show" without actually seeing any studies is one way urban myths are born. The compounds you list can be found in a number of foods so they aren't an argument to eat banana peels in particular. To argue that one should eat banana peels , you'd have to cite research that has demonstrated some sort of unique benefit from consuming them.

Reactions: Amy SF
Claiming that "studies show" without actually seeing any studies is one way urban myths are born. The compounds you list can be found in a number of foods so they aren't an argument to eat banana peels in particular. To argue that one should eat banana peels , you'd have to cite research that has demonstrated some sort of unique benefit from consuming them.
that's exactly why i made that disclaimer in the video and said to take it all with a grain of salt. agree with you completely

A llama and a goat I used to care for loved banana peels (and the banana as well), so I always saved my peels for them. They would always act so excited when they got them that I was curious about the taste. I actually only licked the peel, I couldn't bring myself to bite it. I didn't like it.

A past co-worker used to bring bananas to work all the time and would eat the peels. He was from the Philippines and said it was common to eat them over there. Sadly, people would make fun of him. I worked with a bunch immature idiots. :(

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
Just be careful while preparing them! ;)

4ba13789e4d936e95ed5291b7aacbf51.jpg

It's hard enough for me to eat the fruit of the bananas, since they're not one of my favorite fruits, but I eat them because healthful and a good, bland food to have when needed. However, I can't see myself ever eating the peels, sorry. :yuck:

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
A llama and a goat I used to care for loved banana peels (and the banana as well), so I always saved my peels for them. They would always act so excited when they got them that I was curious about the taste. I actually only licked the peel, I couldn't bring myself to bite it. I didn't like it.

A past co-worker used to bring bananas to work all the time and would eat the peels. He was from the Philippines and said it was common to eat them over there. Sadly, people would make fun of him. I worked with a bunch immature idiots. :(
that's lame when people mock what they don't understand. and yes, as i say in the vid, it is very common in asia

As I recall, I ate a bit of banana peel once and didn't care for the taste, although it didn't make me sick.
it's not for everyone!

Just be careful while preparing them! ;)

4ba13789e4d936e95ed5291b7aacbf51.jpg
excellent :)

It's hard enough for me to eat the fruit of the bananas, since they're not one of my favorite fruits, but I eat them because healthful and a good, bland food to have when needed. However, I can't see myself ever eating the peels, sorry. :yuck:
whatever works for ya! it's not something everyone is keen on for sure

I can't watch the video at the moment, but do you eat the whole peel? I've occasionally eaten the inside of the peel, and that's OK taste-wise.

I would make sure that they are not sprayed with chemicals before eating the skins. Furthermore there is a new product ( I don't know whether it is actually used) that contains crushed crab shells (shellac) to prevent the skins going dark.

American Chemical Society

Last edited: