VeganDawn

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Greetings.

Although, I am a decent cook with a stockpiled pantry of canned soups, flours, dehydrated and frozen veggies. I have decided to go raw. I guess all that food will be SHTF emergency stuff.

To begin the journey, I am going to try to detox. Wormwood tea etc. While I do that and eat light, fast, juice etc, I am planning ahead.

I ordered Love On A Plate The Gourmet Uncookbook 2nd edition. I'll let ya know how that goes when it gets here. Markus Rothkranz and Cara Brotman put a lot of work into it and I trust them. I've been watching their YouTube channels. They make sense. The food looks great. I've tried their raw gravy. I'm sold.

I'm far from a health vegan. More of a comfort and junk food vegan in terms of diet. High blood pressure is my reason for doing this. Just due to stress really, lack of exercise, and salt. But I figured since I am working on that I might as well go the next level and eat living stuff rather than dead. Nutrients get destroyed at above 118 degrees.

My plan is to report back periodically and let you know how it goes. The book gets here on the 12th. I'm sure I don't have most of ingredients such as Irish sea moss and I'm sure I'll need a blender upgrade as well mine is at the point of retirement. It's seen lots of action. Ninjas seem to break down and leak as per my experience. So I may be off to a slow start. The no salt will be hardest part. While their recipes use salt I will try to refrain or keep it low. One day I hope to incorporate it back into the diet. I am experimenting with different homemade spice/herb blends.

Not sure. probably not. A lot of teas I avoid cause of asthma such as chamomile. Once healthy I'll drink them all. Miso you say. I may look into that. Thank you.

Not sure. probably not. A lot of teas I avoid cause of asthma such as chamomile. Once healthy I'll drink them all. Miso you say. I may look into that. Thank you.
There's both good and bad with chamomile-its likened to ragweed, but also has natural antihistimines
I've been drinking it at night and haven't had any bad effects. I've found I can pretty much eliminate asthma with a wfpb diet.
I've never been able to increase raw foods. I have big salads with a variety of raw no issues, but too much of one thing, like raw zucchini, feels like I ate mulch, just sits there for hours,even when eating things like pineapple that should help digestive enzymes

I've known people who've gone raw and it took them some time to fully adjust.

I have started sprouting again! I now have broccoli sprouts!

Reactions: VeganDawn and 1956
I've read a lot about going raw and ultimately decided it was not for me.
although there are nutrients that are sometimes destroyed by cooking. There are other nutrients that are made more accessible with cooking. there are foods that are better eaten raw. There are also foods that cannot be eaten raw.

the other thing about eating raw is that you have to eat a lot of calories to get adequate amounts of protein. If you look at some popular raw YouTubers, they always eat 2500 calories or more a day. Even the petites. They can do that without getting fat because they exercise A LOT.

Raw till Four (RT4) seems like a good compromise. For me I just added several big salads to my weekly meal plan.

I know you weren't asking me for my advice but I suggest just becoming more WFPB first and add some exercise. And the hibiscus tea.

Becoming Raw, written by vegan Registered Dietitians Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, is a detailed and well-informed book on raw vegan diets: Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets: Brenda Davis, Vesanto Melina, Rynn Berry: 9781570672385: Amazon.com: Books

Although I'm not a raw vegan, I've read this book completely. It deeply reports the advantages and the potential pitfalls of raw vegan diets, with citations of hundreds of peer-reviewed studies. It also provides practical meal plans. An enjoyable read.

The book doesn't completely discourage cooked foods. Instead, it wisely advises raw vegans to include certain cooked foods (especially lentils and beans) in their diets.

Reactions: VeganDawn and Lou
Hi, I applaud you for trying something different. I have experience with being raw for years, although I do eat some cooked
food in that past 18 months. First of all, not all raw foodists "exercise a lot", some do and some don't. But yes, you do need to make
sure you eat enough calories and get enough iron, D3, B12, Zinc, etcetera. There is a lightness that comes with being raw, most
humans do not understand that cooked food, even vegan, feels heavier. There are many long-term raw foodists who are thriving.
Examples are Dr. Gabriel Cousens, Brian Clement of Hippocrates Health Institute, and Markus and Cara (see video below).
Understand that going from being an omnivore to a vegan is a big change, and going from vegan to raw vegan is also a big change.
There are failed "omnivores, failed carnivores, failed keto's, failed vegans, and yes, even failed raw vegans". Raw foodists often consume
a lot of fruit and or a lot of nuts and fats--you have to see if this works for your food choices and health. Also, not all raw foodists
eat 100% raw. Being a raw foodist can mean consuming 75% raw. good luck on your journey.