Having problems with my roommates

peacefulveglady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The last few days I had problems with our roommates about me being Vegan. They saying i am trying to change them and cannot change them. They won’t touch or buy my vegan foods. They get My husband too get cows milk and lots of animal products but I cannot get my vegan stuff. The only times i can when we get food stamps i can get a few things.
I need to be on no dairy and most animal products gets me sick. That’s why i picked the vegan lifestyle. They pile everything that is meat and raw in my non dairy and vegan stuff..
So i hardly able to strive on my vegan diet because i have to keep funds and space for most non vegan foods.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hog and silva
The last few days I had problems with our roommates about me being Vegan. They saying i am trying to change them and cannot change them. They won’t touch or buy my vegan foods. They get My husband too get cows milk and lots of animal products but I cannot get my vegan stuff. The only times i can when we get food stamps i can get a few things.
I need to be on no dairy and most animal products gets me sick. That’s why i picked the vegan lifestyle. They pile everything that is meat and raw in my non dairy and vegan stuff..
So i hardly able to strive on my vegan diet because i have to keep funds and space for most non vegan foods.
Are you so dependent on your husband, because I remember much that just makes me say you need to get out! But I realize that's not so easy...
Who exactly are these roommates? Just people you share rent with, or friends?
Would keeping your food in a plastic bin in the fridge work? Your husband sounds like jerk, if you don't mind me saying so.. :sigh:

Reactions: KLS52
It might be better to do your vegan advocacy outside of your home, or online. Although your intentions are excellent, a restful home may
Yes I am doing mostly online and outside of the house. I eat Vegan in my house best I can.
Are there any Food Not Bombs by you? You should contact! They have facebooks for areas--

I been trying too find them but most of the pantries now here gives fruits and veggies and canned goods.

Are you so dependent on your husband, because I remember much that just makes me say you need to get out! But I realize that's not so easy...
Who exactly are these roommates? Just people you share rent with, or friends?
Would keeping your food in a plastic bin in the fridge work? Your husband sounds like jerk, if you don't mind me saying so.. :sigh:
Yes I am going to doing that most of my Vegan stuff I go on is online.

Peacefulveglady, I am very sorry to hear about your challenges.
Hopefully your roommates can reealize your problems and accept your values.

• Agree
Reactions: Val
Peacefulveglady, I am very sorry to hear about your challenges.
Hopefully your roommates can reealize your problems and accept your values.
Thanks one of them came up to me and said that i knew they had pantry today. Our supplement food stamps came. I loaded up with vegan foods took most of freezer room. She said i was selfish for hogging up my freezer with my Vegan stuff.. now they don’t have room to store thier animal products and milk from pantry. They also said i am vegan at the wrong time and they can load up our fridge and freezer with that garbage.

• Friendly
  • Wow
Reactions: Andy_T and Val
Have you looked into vegan groups in the area? On facebook maybe? At least to have some like minded people to talk to, and who knows, maybe make connections? :)

Your husband should be your number 1 ally in all things.
You need to have a serious talk with him.

You need to have a serious talk with your roommates
* let them know this diet is serious for you, it is for your health
* tell them you will not preach to them nor criticize them
* tell them they need to do the same for you
* tell them they need to not disturb your food.

If your roommates do not comply you need to move out.
I've had many roommates in my life.
If they will not comply with simple requests for harmonious living they will never change.
You will just experience less happiness while you stay with them and after circumstances force you to move you will kick yourself for not having done it sooner.
Save yourself the grief if they will not play fair. Start looking to move.

When I was growing up in the North of England (1960's) people didn't eat a lot of meat and also ate moderately, so a vegetarian was no big deal.

Vegan is big where I live in Canada.
and just a block away

Your husband should be your number 1 ally in all things.
You need to have a serious talk with him.

* let them know this diet is serious for you, it is for your health
* tell them you will not preach to them nor criticize them
* tell them they need to do the same for you
* tell them they need to not disturb your food.

If your roommates do not comply you need to move out.
If they will not comply with simple requests for harmonious living they will never change.
You will just experience less happiness while you stay with them and after circumstances force you to move you will kick yourself for not having done it sooner.
Save yourself the grief if they will not play fair. Start looking to move.
Yes but we are the owners of our place so we have to stay.

😲😡🤬
It's YOUR house!!!?
Whether you have any of your own money going towards this or not, being married should give you say in making the rules!
If you're not on the title or the loan I'd say get the f out!

Let me rephrase this---

*tell them how they are allowed to store food.
* tell them they are not to disturb your food.

If your roommates do not comply they need to move out.

Save yourself the grief if they will not follow house rules and start eviction if they won't leave. If you're stopped from imposing and enforcing these rules YOU need to leave

If you are the owners, you can demand they leave.

You still need to have that talk with your husband and roommates first.

If they do not comply, have the talk again, letting them you are serious enough to think about taking serious action.

Reactions: Lou
Hi pvl...I’m wondering if you took in these roommates to help with expenses with the house. Of course, you are under no obligation to reveal personal details. It’s just that your post raises certain questions and I think most of us feel badly for your situation. It’s hard to give advice sometimes. :hug:

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
Hi pvl...I’m wondering if you took in these roommates to help with expenses with the house. Of course, you are under no obligation to reveal personal details. It’s just that your post raises certain questions and I think most of us feel badly for your situation. It’s hard to give advice sometimes. :hug:

Agreed.

However, you can always find more roommates.

Reactions: KLS52