Guinness to go vegan from 2016

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Guinness has been around for 256 years and, for the vast majority of that time, has never felt much pressure to appeal to vegans. Maybe it’s an Irish thing. But despite its illustrious history, the beer brand has decided there’s always room for a little change.
More: http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/guinness-go-vegan-after-256-years (2. November 2015)

Last time I had one, which is probably 20 years ago, I thought it tasted of blood :hurl: But I might give it a try again once they're no longer using fish bladders.

(Note: The article is inaccurate when it say vegans won't drink Guinness because they can't guarantee all the isinglass is removed in the final product. The real reason vegans won't consume it is of course that isinglass was used in the production process at all. It's irrelevant whether it's completely removed or not.)

Last edited:
I last tried Guinness when I was a little kid (stealing a sip if my dad was drinking it, not downing bottles of beer as a small child) and remember not liking it. However, little kids shouldn't be drinking alcohol so I'm sure my tastes changed. Will give it another go!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
God to hear! However, I guess that would only apply to the beer brewed in their Dublin brewery.

I doubt that our local Guinness brewery will also get such a fancy filter, so my guess is taht they will likely continue to use the old process and ingredients. So it might be necessary to check where the beer was brewed, unless there are other ways to identify the vegan beer.