Guilty pleasures…?

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just wrote in the Over 50 forum that I really don't have much use for clothes, as I haven't worked in many years and don't have a social life that requires dressing up for much. Which got me to thinking - what do I splurge on? I don't really collect anything, I tend to like my surrounding neat and uncluttered, so what feels like a guilty pleasure? Then I turned around and saw this:

IMG_2481.jpg

Yep, I think my main spurge is on paints. I have a lot of them. And the thing is - I've been painting for so long, I can probably mix any color I want just with a handful of basic colors. But no, I see a pretty, fresh tube of a new color and it literally makes my heart flutter! I also have a lot of blank panels and canvases, brushes, jars, mediums, rulers, sketch pads… Art is my guilty pleasure - maybe even collecting supplies more than actually making art??? :p

So what do you splurge on?

Mostly vegan food stuffs. I try to get to Whole Foods every 4-6 weeks and buy a couple of vegan desserts, like the Cafe Indigo cakes, pizzarria style vegan pizza, blueberry muffins, cookies etc.

I also can’t seem to stay away from cups, mugs, bowls and other pottery items. I do try to donate the items that I rarely use before buying something new. I just had a pick up from the Veterans of four boxes and seven bags of household items and clothes. So I’m doing pretty good. Definitely getting rid of more than what I’m buying.

Alcohol, food and sex, lol.<3 But I don't really feel that guilty about it.:lol:

Reactions: Val
Actually it would probably be Amazon as I spend so much on there.

I have Prime and so I can get same day delivery on lots of things. Someone said to go back and add up how much you spend on Amazon in a year. I added up about 3 months and it was a shocking amount of money. I don't even want to know what I spend in a whole year.:oops:

Actually it would probably be Amazon as I spend so much on there.

I have Prime and so I can get same day delivery on lots of things. Someone said to go back and add up how much you spend on Amazon in a year. I added up about 3 months and it was a shocking amount of money. I don't even want to know what I spend in a whole year.:oops:
Oh Hell no, I’m not doing that...I would probably cry.

I splurge on music, both concerts and CDs -- also yarn. I'm trying to use up what I have, which is a lot, but if I see a good sale, I can't seem to pass it up, especially if it's premium acrylics. The yarn companies are really upping their game with premium manmade yarns. Some of the colors and textures are so gorgeous.

Reactions: KLS52
I splurge on music, both concerts and CDs -- also yarn. I'm trying to use up what I have, which is a lot, but if I see a good sale, I can't seem to pass it up, especially if it's premium acrylics. The yarn companies are really upping their game with premium manmade yarns. Some of the colors and textures are so gorgeous.
These "pleasures" are not the "guilty" ones, IMO. They all are too beneficial and creative to be true.:D

The term 'guilty pleasure' seems to imply that small indulgences and vices that bring pleasure are OK or perhaps even sometimes brag-worthy. That idea doesn't quite appeal to me. I'd rather work to remove my true vices, and not feel the least guilty about anything else.

Reactions: Val
The term 'guilty pleasure' seems to imply that small indulgences and vices that bring pleasure are OK or perhaps even sometimes brag-worthy. That idea doesn't quite appeal to me. I'd rather work to remove my true vices, and not feel the least guilty about anything else.

I think a guilty pleasure implies some degree of ambivalence - you like something, but there's a pang of guilt in indulging. In my paint example, the pleasure is my love of new tubes of fresh paint, the guilt is amount of money I've spent on buying more paint than I really need or will likely ever use. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
I’m currently obsessed with the color olive (the shade of green). I think it’s really pretty, I think it looks good on me, I like practically everything I see in the olive color. So my guilty pleasure is probably buying clothing I see in olive, even though I don’t really need it. If the design or shape or length is wrong for me, I’ll try very hard to not buy it, but otherwise I’ll splurge on it. I have olive items I haven’t worn yet because I just had to have them. I have a very olive wardrobe, LOL.

It doesn’t help that I also really love olives the food. :D Put olives on a platter of appetizers, and I’ll steal them all. :p

I think a guilty pleasure implies some degree of ambivalence - you like something, but there's a pang of guilt in indulging. In my paint example, the pleasure is my love of new tubes of fresh paint, the guilt is amount of money I've spent on buying more paint than I really need or will likely ever use. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I also think there's a certain sense of satisfaction achieved from doing things that we view as self indulgent or slightly "naughty" for whatever reason.

Reactions: PTree15